Not open for further replies.

hong

Feb 4, 2002
Visit site
will it damage the camera lens???

Originally posted by hong
will it damage the camera lens???

Hi Hong

Unless the spectacle cloth is like those given with OAKLEY sunglasses,made up of microfibre cloth, its best to avoid cleaning lens elements with nothing else but cloths especially for cleaning optics.

Before cleaning blow out any extra dust, then breathe on the lens to get it "fogged" (condensation) so you can clean it better with gentle circular wipes-NEVER PRESS HARD! MIGHT SCRATCH the coatings!

To be on the safe side, try to keep the lens element as clean as possible so you need not clean it so often.

Highly recommend you buy a protective filter and always have it screwed on. Brands like HOYA and B+W are good. They may cost bit more but you did pay $$$ for your lenses.

This way you clean the filter more, even if it gets scratched, just buy a new filter.

Hope that helps!

how do i know if the coatings are scratch??

Originally posted by hong
how do i know if the coatings are scratch??

Hold your lens up and shine a strong light against it. Look at the lens surface for fine lines that cannot be wiped off. Now thats scratches..

alot of people include me just use shirt, tissue paper, newspaper etc :p

take care of your lens, but no need to baby as lens quality prob. contribute only about 1% to how good an image is, and prob only about 5% to how good a printed image looks.

does it mean that under normal circumstances, lens coating will not be scratch..

Originally posted by rueyloon
alot of people include me just use shirt, tissue paper, newspaper etc :p

take care of your lens, but no need to baby as lens quality prob. contribute only about 1% to how good an image is, and prob only about 5% to how good a printed image looks.

so regardless of the lens, whether they are scratches or not, it will not affect the image quality??

:) :) my lens get worst after i breath on the lens, now very oily, no matter how i clean it cannot remove the stains :) any suggestions

Originally posted by BenJR

Hold your lens up and shine a strong light against it. Look at the lens surface for fine lines that cannot be wiped off. Now thats scratches..

now i saw many lines following the direction of my cleaning path, how to remove huh??

First, blow off any major dust with a air bubble. I use Kodak cleaner with micro fibre cloth (Rodenstock cloth is ok, but I don't really like it, I use other cloth...which my sister got for me free from UK), clean the lens in circular from center out. After cleaning, give a breath to it...then clean it off again. Blow with air bubble...done.

One thing I learn after cleaning my lenses is...NEVER CLEAN YOUR LENS! No matter how careful or skillful you are, your lens will never look like the new one again. There will still be some sign from cleaning at the corner of the element. Just blow your lens with a air bubble.

My 2 cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.