Classified Section Scams

garbage

Mar 18, 2004
Hi

Just wanted to share my experience. I posted an item for sale and was contacted offline via WhatsApp.
Buyer claims he is overseas and is interested to purchase, but wanted me to ship the item to somewhere else. I was hesitant to do overseas shipping, but acceded to the request eventually.

Buyer also insisted on using PayPal and DHL, which seemed reasonable to me.

However, after I send the Payment Request from PayPal, the status of the request is stuck in Pending.

Buyer insisted for me to check my email Spam folder and that he sent payment. True enough, there were emails from PayPal, indicating a change in policy. That I'd have to furnish the shipping verification before they can release payment to me. And that the Buyer's sent money cannot be reversed. The verification had to be done by replying to the email. The email came from a domain that is non-PayPal. It was from paypal@serviceonlinepay.com (but on a mobile email client device, it is not immediately apparent as it is shown as service@paypal.com.au). Fyi, serviceonlinepay.com domain is hosted on some Google Cloud Platform. PayPal's actual domains are delivered by Akamai.

I confirmed with a friend by sending him a payment request. He managed to pay me without an email from paypal@serviceonlinepay.com about withholding the cash until proof of delivery is sent.

I'm awaiting PayPal to get back to me on this. Wanted to raise this to kakis here so that they are aware of such scams that is outside of PayPal's regular framework. Please only send out items when PayPal website or app says the money is paid. If there's any suspicious emails sent to you, you can raise a ticket at spoof@paypal.com - https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340 .

Hope you get your issue with Paypal resolved.

For everyone else: Please do yourself a favor and read the many other warning threads about shipping something overseas.
Do check email addresses to match with the main domains of Paypal, eBay etc, do check the URLs in links, verify the server certificates.
if in doubt, do not enter any personal or payment information, just close your browser and walk away.
Unless it's a rare or collector's item there is simply no reason ship 2nd hand consumer electronics around the world.

Reactions: Bosty
Hi all. Just want to share that I too have been asked to send my lens over to another country. The ‘seller’ claims that he’s buying the lens for his Brother in Philippines for some movie recording.

The seller did exactly the same as per the above brother’s experience, and when I received the emails, it’s also from the same email as per above. I too did not receive a PAID status but only a pending status.

The seller’s email is kris****rgs@gmail.com and his PayPal name, when I tried to make a request is Kristopher P Berg.

The telephone number used was +61 048****10.

Please be extra careful.

Thanks

Reactions: Bosty
hey guys. wanted to share that i am in the exact same situation. some imposter Kristopher P Berg with the +61 number.
got scammed off $1800 for my canon goods

This is the first time i've fallen for an online scam. i never thought i would be. i describe myself to be an IT savvy individual, working in a professional industry. Looking back, there were many loopholes and redflags, but i was to caught up with my work, hence i overlooked them. I even rushed and went out of the way to get a box to package it.

I learnt a lot from this. Scammers can be professional. They know how to toy with your emotions and prey on your vulnerabilities.

If any one else has been scammed, do share! Apparently most people who get scammed don't even make a police report because they were too embarrassed. But you must understand that it is not your fault. Let us share and make clubsnap a safer place

----------
below is the details of my encounter

i was contact via whatsapp from an interested buyer for a DSLR + Lens (selling value $1800). Buyer likely got my contact details via clubsnap.com. Contacted via a +61 mobile number (number deleted), of a guy posing a Kristopher Berg from Australia, who was purchase the camera in a rush for his brother's wedding in Phillipines. Wanted to item sent by the weekend. Requested for me to send to his email address a paypal request, which he subsequently emailed fake emails to my personal email address. The sender address were disguised a official paypal email (paypal@serviceonlinepay.com). He also contacted me via his "personal email" kris10bergs@gmail.com

He requested for express DHL, agreed to pay for the shipment. He pretended to be experience with overseas shipment. Requested me to remove the insurance charge and declare the item as a gift valuing $100. When there was a slight delay he would pretend to be angry in the whatsapp conversation. Through this period, i received multiple emails from his fake paypal email address.

Requested to be sent to this address
Name: Simon Melaye
Address: Blk 22 lot 35 garden grove village
City : Dasmarinas
State : Cavite
Zip code : 4114
Phone: 09666759092

He contacted me a few hours after the package was signed off in phillipines. Using a paypal fake email, he requested for further funds to be transferred to a western union account in order to "unlock" the money. He pretended that because he was using a business account, only sums of $3000 could be sent, hence i would need to send him the balance first. At this point i realized i was scam, and cut all connection.

As confirm, no transactions were made on my paypal account.

He's been fishing hard around clubsnap. I also got a text from him but thought it was very fishy so I cut contact early.

He tends to target stuff on the market that has been up for awhile. So don't get tempted by the fact he's buying at your asking price.

Stay alert everyone! He's probably gonna change numbers soon

I also got msg from him. He said he can trust me without checking my item physically. But I insisted to deal face to face.

hey guys. wanted to share that i am in the exact same situation. some imposter Kristopher P Berg with the +61 number.
got scammed off $1800 for my canon goods

This is the first time i've fallen for an online scam. i never thought i would be. i describe myself to be an IT savvy individual, working in a professional industry. Looking back, there were many loopholes and redflags, but i was to caught up with my work, hence i overlooked them. I even rushed and went out of the way to get a box to package it.

I learnt a lot from this. Scammers can be professional. They know how to toy with your emotions and prey on your vulnerabilities.

If any one else has been scammed, do share! Apparently most people who get scammed don't even make a police report because they were too embarrassed. But you must understand that it is not your fault. Let us share and make clubsnap a safer place

----------
below is the details of my encounter

i was contact via whatsapp from an interested buyer for a DSLR + Lens (selling value $1800). Buyer likely got my contact details via clubsnap.com. Contacted via a +61 mobile number (number deleted), of a guy posing a Kristopher Berg from Australia, who was purchase the camera in a rush for his brother's wedding in Phillipines. Wanted to item sent by the weekend. Requested for me to send to his email address a paypal request, which he subsequently emailed fake emails to my personal email address. The sender address were disguised a official paypal email (paypal@serviceonlinepay.com). He also contacted me via his "personal email" kris10bergs@gmail.com

He requested for express DHL, agreed to pay for the shipment. He pretended to be experience with overseas shipment. Requested me to remove the insurance charge and declare the item as a gift valuing $100. When there was a slight delay he would pretend to be angry in the whatsapp conversation. Through this period, i received multiple emails from his fake paypal email address.

Requested to be sent to this address
Name: Simon Melaye
Address: Blk 22 lot 35 garden grove village
City : Dasmarinas
State : Cavite
Zip code : 4114
Phone: 09666759092

He contacted me a few hours after the package was signed off in phillipines. Using a paypal fake email, he requested for further funds to be transferred to a western union account in order to "unlock" the money. He pretended that because he was using a business account, only sums of $3000 could be sent, hence i would need to send him the balance first. At this point i realized i was scam, and cut all connection.

As confirm, no transactions were made on my paypal account.

Changed name to Benny Tai now.
I almost got scammed luckily i called up PayPal.

Same story.

He was too good to be true.
Didnt bargain much.
When I told him I have two cameras, He was ready to take both. Oh yeah for his son in Dasmarinas, Cavite postal code : 4114, Philippines. and the Poor father is in Australia.
He cant do bank transfer, no local contact, cant send his Australia address.
It ended like this

[5:14 PM, 11/13/2019] Me: I ll tell you another idea. You buy the same camera from Amazon and ship to philippines address
[5:14 PM, 11/13/2019] Me: It is much cheaper
[5:15 PM, 11/13/2019] Me: And your son will get two new cameras
[8:19 AM, 11/14/2019] Me: Good morning
[8:19 AM, 11/14/2019] Me: What you have decided? Still interested?
[9:57 AM, 11/14/2019] +61 xxxxxx 502: You said i should buy the cameras from amazon
[9:58 AM, 11/14/2019] +61 xxxxxx 502: i dont know who would suggest that, especially coming from a person who want to sell the same set, shows how serious you are
[9:58 AM, 11/14/2019] +61 xxxxxx 502: if everyone would buy from amazon, then there shouldnt be clubsnap lol
[9:58 AM, 11/14/2019] +61 xxxxxx 502: or carousell
[9:59 AM, 11/14/2019] Me: Do you have a number that I can call?
[9:59 AM, 11/14/2019] Me: not whatsapp number
[9:59 AM, 11/14/2019] +61 xxxx 502: i dont do calls, not a problem, i am not even forcing you to deal
[10:00 AM, 11/14/2019] Me: Ha ha
[10:00 AM, 11/14/2019] +61 xxxx 502: Keep your camera, i keep my money
[10:00 AM, 11/14/2019] Me: This is very old trick my friend
[10:00 AM, 11/14/2019] +61 xxxx 502: You also sound very OLD my friend
[10:01 AM, 11/14/2019] +61 xxxx 502: What trick? if you can point out a message of me trying to trick you then i know you know what you are saying
[10:02 AM, 11/14/2019] Me:
[10:02 AM, 11/14/2019] +61 xxxxx 502: You actually sound very STUPID, you went ahead to message me again even when i did ignore you. so whos trying to trick each other?
[10:03 AM, 11/14/2019] Me: You are smart. awesome. keep it up.

Yep I just got an offer to buy my blackmagic video assist from this dude. Some red flags went off because i kept sending him a link to send half the money first but he refuses. In fact he will say he wants a link via email and he even said he will send the whole amount as agreed. When i clicked the email, I realised the email is not consistent with paypal's email. Did a quick google search and came across this thread. Thanks guys! I nearly bought into this scam!

Yup, same guy different story.
Said he wants me to mail it as a gift to his son in Philippines.

A lot of red flags such as:

-Writes terrible english.
-Australian number but mail to Philippines.
-Opts for only Fedex delivery when I told him there are other cheaper delivery options with tracking
-Uses an email of a fish restaurant
-Caught him changing profile pics to a different person and job title

Glad in the end I decided not to rush to sell and sees the hassle in mailing things overseas.

Just got contacted by "Jason N" at this email: jjm***39@gmail.com on my classified post too.

- He is supposedly overseas
- Wants me to find out singpost price to ship to his friend in another different country
- Told him hassle to ship and asked when he is coming back to Sg so can check equipment & avoid future dispute
- Answer is he is not coming back to Sg soon and neither is his friend
- And he doesn't need to check equipment ; will take it as stated in my classified post
- No query on prices too
- Can pay via paypal, bank to bank transfer, etc

Thank you very much, keep the messages coming and hep to spread the word.

Should be the same guy with different emails or mobile. Beware of this scammer.

+61 488 890 374
Keong
kwkang102@hotmail.com

Completed the payment and i hope you would have gotten payment receipt confirmation from paypal
Declare the package to Courier as a "Gift Used Lens" & Value of the item at $100 or below without insurance so there wont be any custom tax charges upon it arrival in Philippines

Shipping Information:

Simon Melaye
B26 L31 garden grove village salitran
City: Dasmarinas, Cavite
Postal code: 4114
Philippines.
Ph: 09152107176

This guy is still active. Same setup as previous posts - interested in lens and asking to ship overseas to his son in Philippines.
Using +61 488 890 374 and kwkang102@hotmail.com.

I just got scammed by the same guy for my Canon lens. My ad was older being 3 months old, so I think he prays on items that didnt sell and on more desperate sellers trying to get rid of older items.

Same, did not negotiate too much. But persistent and demanding on dealing, sometimes slightly rude. Asked for transaction done on PayPal. It’s my first time so I’m not best at it. He asked me to send a money request to him through it, so i did, but he claim he did not receive it, so he say he will send the money to me via PayPal. I didnt see it in PayPal app, but i receive a PayPal email stating the correct amount of money is being withheld until I reply with a PDF/photo of the shipping receipt for approval. PayPal will review and release the money after that. It’s a fake PayPal email that looks real. So I proceeded with shipping the item to him and reply the email with the shipping receipt. So the fake PayPal email actually goes to him and now he has confirmation and tracking of the item. I googled on this PayPal process, and found its normal process for various reasons such as being a new seller. So I thought its normal.

Lucky! I found this CS thread 5hrs after i shipped it. By chance, after shipping my lens, I thought Ill check on his details and found this info of the scam. Called FedEX to stop my shipment and return it to me.

All throughout this, that bastard kept whatsapping me and being rudely persistent if I’m keen to deal. That showed his ‘genuine’ interest to buy it quickly.

He goes by the following:
Keong Kang
Kwkang102@hotmail.com
Number is +61 488 890 374 (from Aus as he claim he is working there atm)

He asked me to post it to his son in Philippines at:
Simon Melaye
Blk 35 lot 43 garden grove village salitran
City: Dasmarinas,
State: Cavite
postal code: 4114
Philippines
Ph: 639153095111

I suspect he is a philipino working in Aus by his language used. Beware of him! Hope this helps and none of you fall for it. I’ve reported to police and I hope they catch this loser of a bastard and lock him up!

@Magic Carpet Ride Glad to hear that you managed to stop your shipment.
Please keep updating this thread with details about our encounters, it will show up in Google when others search for it and hopefully it will prevent accidents and money loss.

Someone from the Philippines should raid his house.

Encountered this same scenario. Out of the blue, got a whatsapp text from Keong stating he was interested in my lens. Subsequently, asked if I have other lens that I wanna sell.

Sent photos of all the lens. We agreed on a price, even negotiate for a lower price although he said price is not an issue. At this point, all seems fine to me.

The first red flag came when he mentioned that he wants it shipped to the Philippines, with reasons that he is still in Australia for work duties and it’s for his son in the Philippines.

Asked me to send a money request to kwkang102@hotmail.com on Paypal. Don’t feel too comfortable dealing through Paypal due to stories on scams

Started to ask a few personal qn and asked if he could send a FnF payment on Paypal or a wire transfer. He got a little triggered and was rude.

In between communications, I was rather occupied with work hence did not ship it out at first notice. Fortunately, did a search on his email and found this thread - gut feeling telling me this whole transaction seems a little off, this thread gave me the verification and relief.

His number is +61 488 890 374
Email kwkang102@hotmail.com

Last edited: