Classical music - Your fav

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
Heard some nice classical music at the music store, like it a lot.
But didn't asked for the title!! :(

Would like to start listening to some classical music... What is your favorite and which album is a good buy for starter? Thanks.

Heard some nice classical music at the music store, like it a lot.
But didn't asked for the title!! :(

Would like to start listening to some classical music... What is your favorite and which album is a good buy for starter? Thanks.

ah bin - just start with those like 20 Top Favourites... those normally are a compilation of usual favs. then u can work ur way from there. ;)

my personal favs are usually baroque/chamber music. JS Bach is usually on my must-buys.

i'm currently listening to glatiator soundtrack. you can go check out "that cd shop" at pacific plaza for a start.

Four Seasons by Vivaldi.:angel:

another bach fan here.... :)

:thumbsup: good taste, i can't stand anyhthing else from the baroque period :bsmilie:

Think this is one of the most popular during that period.:sweat:

i listen to bach, but only Jacques Loussier's intepretation :p
the only exception's the goldberg variations where i like it original

a few favs
1) elgar's cello concerto in e minor
2) mahler symphony 5,6,9.. esp 6 :p - by karajan
3) handel - water music
4) tchaikovsky's 1812 (this is well loved by audiophiles) - by erich kunzel
5) chopin - by horowitz

I have a thing for Beethoven: my fav is still his Symphony No 6 (Pastoral) -- I always stop and savour whenever I catch a whiff of it playing from anywhere. (I also like #9, #5, #7, #3 :))

Some other favs:
- Violin Concerto -- Beethoven, Brahms, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky
- Piano Concerto: Tchaikovsky's #1, Rachmaninoff #3

On getting started:
- Symphony 92.4; and use the "What's Playing" link to figure out the names of the piece being played.
- Walt Disney's Fantasia, the original one, has a great way in interpreting some great music.

On a slightly different tack:
- Bohemian Rhapsody is good as well :bsmilie:

Thanks for all the suggestions..

Most sound alien to me.. haa haa.. Means I am really at the very bottom of the ladder.

you can also listen to 92.4 FM, the classical music radio station. :)

Many years ago there was a series of albums called "Hooked on Classics"...which are medlies of famous and popular classic melodies set to a disco (!) beat. I listened to them before I listened to more serious classical music. Still have the CDs and now let my son listen to them. It is easy for him to understand and when he hears the real piece he would be interested.

yep...remember listening to hooked on classics, as well as switched on bach (played on a moog synthesiser by wendy/william carlos). fab!

Beethovan,

Tchaikovsky,

Sergei Prokofief

Rachmaninov

and so many more!!!!!!!!

there's no real FAVOURITE classical music for me...all are to be appreciated in different manners, differnt ways.

Moonlight sonata by beethoven

Nocturnes, waltz and marzuka by Frederic Chopin.

Moonlight was my exam piece

Chopin was the 2nd piece ..........

they both "sound emotive" but are to be treated with a complete different approach.

Moonlight was my exam piece

Chopin was the 2nd piece ..........

they both "sound emotive" but are to be treated with a complete different approach.

Yup, but the 3rd movement for moonlight is quite difficult. How long did you get to master it, as in similar to those recorded piantist's standard. Any idea on how to master it?

Status
Not open for further replies.