Classical music - Your fav

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if you heard piano or violin or orchestra or opera etc, but some of my favourite piano pieces are below. currently 3/4 way through the liszt one. (btw, i'm suprised no one linked their songs to youtube, would be helpful to ts i think;))

Liszt Transcendental Etude No. 4 in D minor, Mazeppa

Rachmaninoff Prelude Op. 23 No. 5 in G minor

Rachmaninoff Morceaux de Fantaisie Opus 3 No 4, Polichinelle

Alkan Grand Etude Op 76, Hands Reunited

Alkan Etude Op.27, Le Chemin de Fer

Debussy Preludes Book 1 No.4, Les sons et les parfums tournent dans l'air du soir

No particular rankings, all my favourites, though trying very hard to perfect the first and fifth one.:embrass:

best source of classical music (or any music!) online = youtube.

I m more of a chopin fan... not so much baroque...

my favourite song(s) thus far is still the planets by holst...

it has generated a lot of inspiration for all the space sci- fi fiction movies soundtracks for a long time...

Johann Strauss :)

TV series 'The Strauss Dynasty';)

Rachmaninoff Piano Sonata No. 2

Copland Appalachian Spring

Chopin Scherzos, Nocturnes, Ballades, Piano Conertos, Sonatas, Preludes, Etudes

Prokofiev Piano Concerto No. 2

Scriabin Fantasy Op. 28

Beethoven Piano Sonata Op. 22

Anything played by Ivo Pogorelich, Mikhail Pletnev, Yevgeny Sudbin, Arthur Rubinstein

These are my favourites but the list will never end. Seriously, do sample them first especially compliations so as to know where and when to start listening to full works. Can borrow or listen to them at Esplanade Library. Things like "Romantic Adagio" etc. where the more famous movements are being heard, before sourcing for performers, conductors, or orchestras. Penguin Guide, Grammophone are good sources for reviews too, though always subjective.

Need any help, just pm me.

Yup, but the 3rd movement for moonlight is quite difficult. How long did you get to master it, as in similar to those recorded piantist's standard. Any idea on how to master it?

moonlight the toughest movement is the very first...

my Grade 8 exam piece was the 3rd movement, but i had to learn the whole piece for my teacher.

3rd movement is technically difficult, but all technical stuff is just a matter of practise...the more u practise the better u become....its like photography to a certain aspect.

1st movt, although technically easiest to learn, most of it is creativity, emotions, feelings that has to be expressed thru the music that comes out from the piano. so while its really easy to be precise, its not easy to make music thru the emotions and feelings.

again, i draw the parallel to photography.

techniques are easy to master...its the creativity that is not "masterable"

long long long long time ago when i was still very young, i had the audacious chance to perform Rachmaninof's piano pieces in the very old Victoria concert hall...

The piece:-

Variations on the theme of Paganini.

even till today, i think the violin version is still the best.

Canon by Pachelbel

my Grade 8 exam piece was the 3rd movement, but i had to learn the whole piece for my teacher.

3rd movement is technically difficult, but all technical stuff is just a matter of practise...the more u practise the better u become....its like photography to a certain aspect.

1st movt, although technically easiest to learn, most of it is creativity, emotions, feelings that has to be expressed thru the music that comes out from the piano. so while its really easy to be precise, its not easy to make music thru the emotions and feelings.

the third movement needs a lot of passionate angst too :p its dynamic, frustrating etc but the funniest thing is that most people who play it tend to be bothered abt the speed.. but i think the dynamics are more important.

best version i've heard so far is by don dorsey, on synthesizers. to me its.. perfect.

You practise segment by segment for the 3rd movement? Or whole piece at once?

long long long long time ago when i was still very young, i had the audacious chance to perform Rachmaninof's piano pieces in the very old Victoria concert hall...

The piece:-

Variations on the theme of Paganini.

even till today, i think the violin version is still the best.

v tough pieces indeed. u must be an excellent pianist. :cool:

Pierre, must give me a chance to listen to you play.

Thanks for the your tube link.. Very useful... Think really have to write down these name and start looking around.

Keep them coming.. Hope I can get to listen to 20% of these classical mentioned here.

Canon by Pachelbel

youtube has got an interesting version of pachelbel's canon played on guitar by funtwo. :)

not really classical..more contemporary, but anyone heard of this composer tan dun? chinese fellow...quite awesome his music...might have heard it in crouching tiger, hidden dragon or hero

not really classical..more contemporary, but anyone heard of this composer tan dun? chinese fellow...quite awesome his music...might have heard it in crouching tiger, hidden dragon or hero

yah, his compositions are very 3-dimensional

Status
Not open for further replies.