Class for Lumix cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

airconvent

Apr 12, 2005
curious to know, are the Lumix FZ5 and FZ20 classified as prosumer cameras or compacts ?

thanks

At first I thought somebody is conducting lessons on how to use the FZ5 & 20! :bsmilie:

FZ5 is definately a compact, but in dpreview, they classified the FZ20 as "DSLR-like", my guess is that it could manual focus.

Correction: FZ5 is a prosumer, in the same class as the Canon G? series. My mistake.

it's the size...
the bigger your baby is, the higher the class..
BUT 1 impt thing, FZ20 has got hotshoe, makes it DSLR like. but all prosumer cam ba.. coz got aperture control, shutter control, manual control..
compare to a $700 ixus where u can only PnS, go to night mode, and the flash works for about 1 m etc... you have a clear distinction between prosumer and compact.

probably best classified as "superzooms" like @ cnet because thats the most distinct feature, prosumer cams may not be viable with the onslaught of cheaper DSLRs in the future....

depends.. most money conscious prosumers probably won't understand the need for dSLRs.. it's most prob after they mix with the bad circles (aka the dark and light sides) that they see the greener grass on the other side..
but yeah, super zooms won't go out of flavour.. esp when a good leica zoom lens will cost a few times the cost price of a brand new low cost DSLR

i will never consider anything which size cannot fit into a pocket as compact.

Apparently SLR stands for single lens reflex, where the viewfinder content is reflected from the lens. A camera with EVF is not considered SLR, or DSLR for that matter.

dominator said:
i will never consider anything which size cannot fit into a pocket as compact.

Hee, hee. Then it depends on the size of your pockets. ;)
I can carry both my FX5 and FZ10 plus accessories including my teleconverter and flash in the pockets of my vest, if I want to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.