clarification on Long Exposure and High ISO NR function on Nikon DSLRs

Golagislow

Dec 7, 2011
Hi guys, I would like to seek some insight clarification on the above functions. Manual did not mention much. As in how high is considered high ISO? 3200? 6400? Or above? And at what shutter speed consider long? Can I just leave both settings 'ON' all the time?

There are two settings on ISO noise reduction on the Nikon.

1) High ISO noise reduction

This setting enables the noise reduction to be performed on the in camera JPEGs, (HIgh, Normal, Low & Off). Even if it is switched off, noise reduction is performed at shots with ISO above 3200. If you just shoot JPEGs, you can leave it at normal. IF you shoot RAW, leave it OFF and perform noise reduction on your post processing software.

2) Long exposure noise reduction.

This is used for night shots requiring exposure above 1 second. What is does is that for long exposure night shots, the camera will measure the random back ground noise from the sensor for the same exposure time while keeping the shutter closed. The LCD display will show JOB NR when this function is performed. You can switch this off if you don't do long exposure night shots.

TS. You may wish to disclose the exact Nikon dSLR that you use as different dSLRs have different definitions of "high ISO" threshold.

High ISO can be relative to the camera, subjective to the user or both relative to the camera, subject of interest and subjective to the user.

High ISO can be both relative to both relative to the camera, subject of interest and subjective to the user.
- If you are trying to photograph subjects where you want to see the fine details, than even ISO 2000 can be considered noisy for a D4 yet it is totally acceptable when it comes to shooting footballers challenging for a ball.
- Personally (the keyword) I wont go any higher than ISO 1250 on the D4 if I want to showcase feather details of a bird but it may differ from another photographer who uses the same body.
- For a person who uses a D7100, ISO 2000 would really lie on the high side when it comes to bird photography and as far as I know (as told) its like the "red line" limit where going beyond, the image would be too noisy. Yet, ISO 2000 on the D4 can acceptable albeit not my preference unless it means separating a photo with motion blur or a sharp one.

High ISO can relative to the camera
- Certain subjects require one to limit to certain thresholds of ISO. Examples are like Aurora Borealis where ISO 3200 is well within the native range of the D4, trying to shoot the Aurora Borealis with it probably won't yield the best results. Hence, for such subjects, I would limit it to ISO 1600 for the D800 but that would likely be ISO 2500 on the D4. So it depends on the camera

High ISO can be subjective
- Its all to our preference at times. The definitions on the specifications are as such that if the ISO is beyond the native prescribed ISO range, it is high but some of us would never use ISO beyond a certain range for a certain body out of preference. Personally, I do not use ISO more than 1600 for the D800 unless it is the case of if I get the shot off or totally not getting it at all.

Hi guys, I would like to seek some insight clarification on the above functions. Manual did not mention much. As in how high is considered high ISO? 3200? 6400? Or above? And at what shutter speed consider long? Can I just leave both settings 'ON' all the time?

Last edited:
Thanks for the above clarifications, am referring to both D7000 and D7100.

I shoot raw with D7100. NR for long shot is on. NR for high iso is off.

I usually turn off both function when shooting long exposure night scene on D7100. The waiting time to shoot another one is painstakingly long with long exposure NR ON.

Thanks for all the feedback. Al least now I know that if I were to keep these functions ON, it will lengthen the buffer / writing time.

Last edited: