Clang. A Self Portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sunday was at the Esplanade. So i went in to the Jendala Gallery to take a look at the photos that caused so much hooha in this forum. Frankly speaking, i admire John's gut in putting up this piece of work. The poses in the photos were very degrading and demeaning to the subject.

Minoxman said:
2 words?Where?
You have a link to yours? Sleepless?heh[/QUOTE

My half frame fellow Sporean aka Minoxman,

I sleep very well. Thank you. I do not have to prove anything to you. I have a fair idea of who I am and what I can do.

Hi Clang, after reading all the postings, I am a little discouraged also. Personally, I am an admirer of your work. You have a distinctive style and signature in your fashion photography that make you stand out among the crowded NYC fashion scene. Frankly speaking, if you want me to define what attracts me to the photos, I can't do it.

However, there are always critics and detractors out there who are forever ready with their sharpened knives. I am a practising photographer myself, and have encountered negative comments all the time. Sometimes, I feel deflated, but many more times, I pick myself up and try again. The most difficult part is to create an individual style, which I think you have succeeded.

But have the majority of the local photogs achieved that? No. That's why we still belong to the "majority", and you are at the top. Are the photos posted by members on this website distinctive or forgettable? Or just some imitations or done by wannabes? The verdict is out there. And that's also the reason why you are there in NYC, and we are still infants here, for God's sake, crying out loud over sour grapes.

I agree. In future, just don't bother critiquing harshly any photographers' work, especially those Singaporeans who have made it overseas. Let's just sit around, clap, sing a song and admire each other.
Remember, make it big, and you'll have any exhibition you want, even empty sheets of Fb paper hanging to dry in 20x30 granduer.

wahlau eh

we still on this ah.

come on lah.
give it a break.

give everyone a break.

minox cool it man

i mean people ask minox to post his link he posts his then people say no need to post link

aiyah whatever man whatever.

i think this thread really so long and like so unconstructive already

probably can close liao.

sequitur said:
wahlau eh

we still on this ah.

come on lah.
give it a break.

give everyone a break.

minox cool it man

i mean people ask minox to post his link he posts his then people say no need to post link

aiyah whatever man whatever.

i think this thread really so long and like so unconstructive already

probably can close liao.

Yah, from all the postings, we already know that art is subjective.

So someone likes and someone dun like. Some think its good, some think its lousy.

And I also share the same thinking that if you dun like the works, then to you the works sucks but to someone else it can be a gem. And we should not judge whether the piece of is done by someone famous overseas or just a newbie in photography. Some might prefer works from a newbie to a famous photographer overseas and that's his choice.

No need to debate over it.

Cool. :cool:

clang said:
Hi Everyone……This is Clang, writing from NYC. A friend of mine refers me to this interesting page. It seems that a majority of you really dislike my artwork. A few of you actually feel that I’ve wasted your time. And one is not impressed with my attitude in the 8 Days interview. I do apologize for all that.

My main purpose for putting a show in Singapore is to try to have my own fellow mate understand who I am. There is no doubt I’ve become a very successful photographer but that does not make me a lesser artist. I do not want to defend my work as I appreciate your critique.

I do feel a bit discourage by your response. It was my decision to show in Singapore despite many objections from my Singapore friends. They warned me that many Singaporeans are not ready for this form of contemporary photography. I knew then and now I know. And also, by doing this exhibition, I do not ‘laugh all the way to the bank’ as one suggested. I have to finance a big portion of it as Singapore is still really new in the contemporary art scene. This is one area I hope we can push further. I thought I could contribute a bit to this development. But I’m probably wrong.

My work is based on my mental visual diary and they sort of work as a filmstrip. When I look at a photograph, I do not critic its ‘prettiness’ or if ‘I can also shoot this’. I don’t try to challenge the artist motive. I try to feel where he or she is coming from. I do not judge images at a surface level. A seemingly simple image or an image that one quickly dissed as ‘a waste of time’ may surface more voice and nuance if one choose to truly listen with his heart. Good work requires attention and sometimes, we miss out by not paying enough attention to subtleties.

The ‘process’ of creating an art (not technique) is as important as the art itself. When I look at an image, I also see the artist himself. I can also imagine the moments when the image is being taken. These ‘Self-portraits’ have also demonstrated the true friendship and trust I have with the sitter, Beon. He was a very awkward and extremely inferior guy. Through the process of creating this artwork for the last 4 years, I’ve managed to slowly help him to gain that self-confidence. And I don’t think we do this trying to impress anyone.

I can’t change your chosen perception of me, especially I’m no longer an underdog that live in a 3-room HDB flat but a new millionaire that everyone loves to hate. But I hope we can all learn to ‘listen’ to every piece of art we encounter, especially one from your fellow Singaporean. Only then we can grow strong together internationally. At this moment, Singaporeans does not qualify for the art program in Moma PS1 in New York.

And for those who seems unimpressed with other work on my website, I apologize too. It is just my diary that I’ve chosen to share. The people with their backs facing the camera are my parents & parents-in-laws. Not just various people. It is a continuation of my earlier series where their facial features are blurred and deleted. In these images, I was trying to convey how much I miss them, especially now that they are in their golden age. I’m frightened I may not remember their faces in my mind one day. Do check up the earlier series at www.bank-art.com/clang/clang/

And as for the ‘NYC Ghost’, the water represents a human on the street without their flesh and bones but only the 70% water we contain. This is a reflection of how I feel after 911. I live two blocks away during the tragic event and have witness the 2nd plane crash and the towers collapsing.

Finally… I think communications should be both sided. I feel that art is not a language that we can instantly use to communicate with one another. It requires patience and willingness, with open mind to see beyond.

I don’t think I will be doing another show in Singapore in the near future. However, I will continue to support the Singapore art scene.

Thank you so much for hearing me out. I appreciate it.

I agree with the MoMA point.Most SGporeans can't break too far out on a limb in their mindsets just as yet..The value of an art piece is in itself.If you cannot take a picture and understand the spirit inside it, then your photography lacks soul.Sometimes, having a picture perfect scene makes it all too surreal, and lacking in the many varieties of grit and detritus, in any form, which happens to make up most of life itself.

meepokman said:
wow.

you manage to dig up a 8 months old controversial topic :eek:

Sorry la..was reading about it in Kopitiam and decided to see what the fuss was ..:) :embrass:

just take a look at my sign off.

i agree with JC. i mean if words dont get into the people, tell them thru ur work. if they dont understand... hopefully they'll come back to ur 2nd show.

in reality, as long as ur sponsers or agency like it n they pay u. it's good.

i'm sure Singapore will grow. just keep it up. :)

u choose this path, here's it... now keep moving. the sky's e limit.

this reminds me of my visit to JC's exhibition last year.... loved his 3R images of the guy with pillow sleeping all over the place!

Alot of people have 'looked' at the images but sadly few have really 'seen'. For me it wasnt an opportunity to see JC's works per se ... but rather , through his images and perspectives and use them as a window to try and fanthom his psyche and mind.

I think if anyone went to look for pretty images, they would be disappointed

Me pretty much a newbie, but I have seen many photographers' works in various exhibitions.

There can be two different mindsets when I step into a gallery.
Mindset 1: I do not care who the photographer is, and I am there to view the works.
Mindset 2: I am at the gallery because I have heard of the photographer's famous name.

Perhaps we can put ourselves into Mindset 1 when we view JC's works. I personally did not go to the exhibition but saw the pix online. If you do not know the works belong to JC, what would be your opinion? You might think that your small niece or nephew could have done a better job, in expressing herself or himself.

If you put yourself in Mindset 2, you will say, wow, this is creative work by a world renowned photographer.

Yeah, this is the harsh reality of the art circle. When you are famous, you can do what you want and you will have supporters nonetheless. Supposedly if I were to stage a solo exhibition with the same concept as JC, no doubt I will be bombarded with no mercy.

Perhaps we should see his works as a new form of photography. Photographs that not only focus on the technical aspect, but also the artistic expression of the photographer's unique vision & personal feeling.

There are alot of photography books that discuss about the merits of a photo; the 'what you should do' or 'should not do' in order to create a good photo.

I guess Clang had already gone through that phase and now he is finding a new approach in creating his images.

You will be disappointed if you expect to view his photos from the viewpoint of the mainstream of photography.

As he had already pointed out, most of us are not ready for this new form of photogaphy yet. We are still chasing the older ideal in photography, ideal like good composition, good contrast, relevant background, focus, colors, color temperature,.....................

The present situation is very much like the art history in Europe. The older masters who painted their works from a realist perspective condemned the contemporary works of younger artists. These younger generation of artists painted from an impressionistic view that was very different from the traditional way of painting; and later some even went further into the expressionist way of painting which is rather abstract in nature.

So, I would rather say that if you are not prepared for the new form of photography, just stick to the mainstream. It just doesn't make sense to criticise the newer form of photography, cos they are created from a different perspective. Much like the evolution of arts in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.