Civil Servants get a modest one-off year-end payment of 0.25 month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy81

Feb 13, 2007
Jurong West
www.flickr.com
SINGAPORE: Singapore's 60,000 civil servants will get a modest one-off year-end payment of 0.25 month, capped at S$750, instead of the Annual Variable Component (AVC).

This is the first time civil servants are not getting their AVC for the full year.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1020734/1/.html
:(:(:(

it is ok. loads of people here will rejoice because they have the interesting notion that civil servants should be "working for the warm fuzzy feeling that they get from serving the people" :bsmilie:

All the media built-up hype abt the economy turns out to be anti-climax. :(

:cry::cry::cry:

it is ok. loads of people here will rejoice because they have the interesting notion that civil servants should be "working for the warm fuzzy feeling that they get from serving the people" :bsmilie:

Why should loads of people rejoice here ? :dunno: What about those high up in garment, still getting fat bonuses ? Isn't it a common thing be it in secular or garment, only the small flies get fried ? Strange reaction !

0.25 or cap at $750 where can high up in garment get any more? :dunno:

This is pathetic. But, it sure beats being retrenched.

Last edited:

Actually it is still quite cosy, despite the tough economic condition.

This is pathetic. But, it sure beats being retrenched.

Pathetic? I think very much better than the regular working Jones in the private sector, having paying cut and taking one day compulsory no pay leave per week.

They(civil servant) still have the 13 month and the "one off of AVC" capped at $750.
Whereas many in the pte sector do not even have a 13 month bonus at all, ie work 12 month and paid 12 month wages, not work 12 month and paid 13months wages..

Not to say the performance bonus paid every Apr/May, which is almost a given (just that the quantum varies from 1/4 up to 3 months? cannot recall the figure).

If economy is "good" the AVC will kicks in apart from what is "given" above

So it is not so bad, lah.

Not that ppl would rejoice at others misery or hope others to be in worse shape. But be happy for there are many others who are less fortunate or endowed

Last edited:
Actually it is still quite cosy, despite the tough economic condition.

Pathetic? I think very much better than the regular working Jones in the private sector, having paying cut and taking one day compulsory no pay leave per week.

They(civil servant) still have the 13 month and the "one off of AVC" capped at $750.
Whereas many in the pte sector do not even have a 13 month bonus at all, ie work 12 month and paid 12 month wages, not work 12 month and paid 13months wages..

Not to say the performance bonus paid every Apr/May, which is almost a given (just that the quantum varies from 1/4 up to 3 months? cannot recall the figure).

If economy is "good" the AVC will kicks in apart from what is "given" above

So it is not so bad, lah.

Not that ppl would rejoice at others misery or hope others to be in worse shape. But be happy for there are many others who are less fortunate or endowed

Totally agree with this.

Have u seen ,at least i did, from some of our friends in the service how they were beaming away when they get all these funny bonus and pay out in the middle of the year while those in the private got nothing.

so i don't think this is that bad.

well...who was complain when private had 6-12 mths bonus when the economy was crazy? pros and cons for every business. ha but im running my own business...so its either hurray for a few months or starve for quite a while. Just need to manage cashflow well - not to spend too much even when times are gd. heng i dun have anymore BBB virus

well...who was complain when private had 6-12 mths bonus when the economy was crazy? pros and cons for every business. .......

Not that bad lah, when it comes to times like that. Their AVC would probably be in the region of 2-3months (bec of the booming economy) + the 13months + the Performance Bonus(PB) of 1 month (lets take the average working Joe in govt service - not those super-duper scholars who will have probably more than 3 months) Min Total = AVC 2 months + 13 month + PB 1 month = min 4 months not so bad.

Not that bad lah, when it comes to times like that. Their AVC would probably be in the region of 2-3months (bec of the booming economy) + the 13months + the Performance Bonus(PB) of 1 month (lets take the average working Joe in govt service - not those super-duper scholars who will have probably more than 3 months) Min Total = AVC 2 months + 13 month + PB 1 month = min 4 months not so bad.

From when it 1st started giving PB, average PB is 0.5 month. We know or can guess who can get 0.75 month PB. It is like out of 500 people, not more than 25 or so will get 1 month or more but not more than 5 will get more than 1 month. Max. PB is 3 month. No one know who get 1 or more month PB and the number (5 people) is only a guess. However, the number is known to be very very low. Don't know if they have increased the PB amount.

now that Dubai has gone bankrupt...this less than $750 is a welcome respite...at least my son's school text books are covered...

well...who was complain when private had 6-12 mths bonus when the economy was crazy? pros and cons for every business. ha but im running my own business...so its either hurray for a few months or starve for quite a while. Just need to manage cashflow well - not to spend too much even when times are gd. heng i dun have anymore BBB virus
well, fly high, crash hard.

there are always compromises... let's be fair about that. :)

From when it 1st started giving PB, average PB is 0.5 month. We know or can guess who can get 0.75 month PB. It is like out of 500 people, not more than 25 or so will get 1 month or more but not more than 5 will get more than 1 month. Max. PB is 3 month. No one know who get 1 or more month PB and the number (5 people) is only a guess. However, the number is known to be very very low. Don't know if they have increased the PB amount.

.. where did you get these figures from? But generally with 13th month, those averaging less than 3K would be having 1 3/4 month inclusive of the average o.5 mth PB,as you suggested.....not that bad actually. Those on the higher wage bracket are more likely to get more PB with their seniority....so quite good for times like this.

There is a saying about civil servants pay

吃不饱, 饿不死

This wasn't unexpected. Look at the weak USD. :sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.