City HDR

Status
Not open for further replies.

zero o

Aug 8, 2007
www.flickr.com
Hi Everyone

Would like to know if the HDR effect is overdone.
Going for the realistic look rather than surrealistic. Comments appreciated.

2478049911_26dcaa23a7_o.jpg

ps. thanks to yapster for recommending this location :)

It almost looks like a digitally rendered image actually.

That aside, maybe go a teeny bit easier on the black point (i.e. push it back, not so much shadows) and it'll look more realistic. Now it looks ominous, stark, and slightly artificial.

very nice, i think it is nicely controlled - but hey, the reds in the foreground somehow spoil the very strong moody mood here; and i think it is a wee bit oversharpened. the buildings are very close to looking a tad too much like they're "poppping out of the foreground" pop up book style.

i thought urban acid here would work fine too :)

b28.jpg

let me know if you want me to take it down, cheers.

very nice, i think it is nicely controlled - but hey, the reds in the foreground somehow spoil the very strong moody mood here; and i think it is a wee bit oversharpened. the buildings are very close to looking a tad too much like they're "poppping out of the foreground" pop up book style.

b28.jpg

im just curious. what did you do on photoshop to get those effects? it sure look good!

im just curious. what did you do on photoshop to get those effects? it sure look good!

urban acid action, please look for it here

along with some contrast/gamma adjustments, and selective desaturation of reds. desaturation was done before the action was applied too.

It almost looks like a digitally rendered image actually.

That aside, maybe go a teeny bit easier on the black point (i.e. push it back, not so much shadows) and it'll look more realistic. Now it looks ominous, stark, and slightly artificial.

Thanks for the comments caleb .. will consider your advise in my next HDR.

Oversharpened ... ... point noted ...
Ya .. the chinatown shophouses roof gives a different mood.

Your ubran acid is nice :)

Hi Everyone

Would like to know if the HDR effect is overdone.
Going for the realistic look rather than surrealistic. Comments appreciated.

2478049911_26dcaa23a7_o.jpg

ps. thanks to yapster for recommending this location :)

Wow~~ I would say yours is better done than mine~~

I like the angle you are shooting from. Seems more balance. For my shot, the right seems to have be quite unbalanced cos of the missing shophouses roof.

DSC_9553w.jpg

Only nitpick will be the noise and maybe a bit more crop on the left where you can see a buiding on the far side. Kinda distractiing.

Haha, i can only recommend, but you took the effort to go and try out~:thumbsup:

Wow~~ I would say yours is better done than mine~~

I like the angle you are shooting from. Seems more balance. For my shot, the right seems to have be quite unbalanced cos of the missing shophouses roof.

DSC_9553w.jpg

Only nitpick will be the noise and maybe a bit more crop on the left where you can see a buiding on the far side. Kinda distractiing.

Haha, i can only recommend, but you took the effort to go and try out~:thumbsup:

Hi Yapster ... nice to hear from you. Thanks for the shooting spot recommendation.
Ya.. i shoudnt have been lazy - should have cropped the distracting building away. Barring the missing shophouses roof, your picture is still very nice - u using a wide wide angle ?

Rather flat for HDR. Yapster's pic example is more what HDR is about/to achieve: punchier in constrasts, more fine details - everywhere in highlights, shadows, etc; eg the cloud details in the sky, and leaves in the trees. If those are not what you are going for, then there is no need to do HDR, as the image as it is can be done with a single shot. HDR is more resource and time consuming. Don't you want more returns for more effort?

Rather flat for HDR. Yapster's pic example is more what HDR is about/to achieve: punchier in constrasts, more fine details - everywhere in highlights, shadows, etc; eg the cloud details in the sky, and leaves in the trees. If those are not what you are going for, then there is no need to do HDR, as the image as it is can be done with a single shot. HDR is more resource and time consuming. Don't you want more returns for more effort?

thanks for the comments ... rather new @ HDR so need more guidance from the HDR Guru's :) You are right, need to invest more time and energy !

Status
Not open for further replies.