Circumstances under which a policeman can fire his weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no photo said:
Apr 21st, 2006 at 6:46 pm

if you run. I draw my gun and shout "stop".

Still running, one shot to the air.

Still running, one shot to the left knee followed by another shot to the right knee.

this is total opposite of SPF policy... no shots or arms shd be discharge for the sake of warning... :bsmilie: this guy is damn lame... lamest of the lamest... :bsmilie:

but certain security guard at private property, protected area, restricted area have their rights to hold u back or to search u till the police comes. Cisco is one of them...

i'm not any pro but all i know is that...

they can only fire under circumstances such as assisilent is about to do harm and threaten the police officer or cisco guard's life. and it's not to kill. main piority is to harm like to shoot legs or hands.

if he calls me not to shoot the building? i will just ask him show the papers of prove that no shooting is allowed and just keep shooting until i really get arrested.

Really, with such attitude, he will get into trouble 1 day. Worst outcome is one person dead by gunshot wound.

or maybe.. He's just another kid having a good laugh at the replies...:bsmilie:

obviously he dunno wat he is talking about, harping about the same thing over and over again. should ask him to watch the movie Rules of Engagement! wa haa haa..... he shoot u, u shoot back lor! with a camera of cos :)

Hah! Ask him which building he's deployed at. Then we can all go there and take a hell lot of photos and wait for him to shoot us in the knees... :bsmilie:

That cowboy wannabe can try and shoot me. :bsmilie:

If discharging a firearm is so simple, Singapore will be a trigger happy state.

Oh BTW, except for CISCO guards as well as some security companies who are authorised by CID with a license to use, carry and discharge firearms (even though, they will have extremely stringent rules to go by) in the course of their duties, u can't just issue any Tom Mouse, Dick Dock or Harry Cat a firearm.

1 single discharge from ur firearm and u'll have a lot to account for. And if its shown that u are trigger happy when the subject in concern doesn't have any intent to kill, the person who discharged the firearm at the innocent party (assuming killing the fella in the process) can be criminally charged for murder with intent which carries a tasty final meal with the executioner in Death Row at Changi Maximum Security Prison.

Koelsch said:
i'm not any pro but all i know is that...

they can only fire under circumstances such as assisilent is about to do harm and threaten the police officer or cisco guard's life. and it's not to kill. main piority is to harm like to shoot legs or hands.

if he calls me not to shoot the building? i will just ask him show the papers of prove that no shooting is allowed and just keep shooting until i really get arrested.
A headshot is a :nono: for a law enforcement officer to physically stop an assiliant in his tracks.

Even when the officer is down on his back and the assiliant is towering over him, chopper in hand and bringing it down on that instant, the officer is still bound to shoot to maim and not shoot to kill.

The only armed force in Singapore with the license shoot to kill would be the military... and that is only in warfare. :bsmilie:

you are talking about security guard. is he a policeman or cisco guard? is he armed with a service revolver? what do you mean by 'use violence'? pls be explicit.

+evenstar said:
Can anyone enlighten me? I've some maniac who claims that he is a security guard and that he'll use violence on photographers who take photo of the building under his charge...(i found this statement hilarious)

our spf's star has authority to shoot to kill. whether it will execute such order will depend on the situation/circumstances they are called in.

jsbn said:
The only armed force in Singapore with the license shoot to kill would be the military... and that is only in warfare. :bsmilie:

which 'some security companies'?

jsbn said:
Oh BTW, except for CISCO guards as well as some security companies who are authorised by CID with a license to use, carry and discharge firearms (even though, they will have extremely stringent rules to go by) in the course of their duties, u can't just issue any Tom Mouse, Dick Dock or Harry Cat a firearm.

reachme2003 said:
you are talking about security guard. is he a policeman or cisco guard? is he armed with a service revolver? what do you mean by 'use violence'? pls be explicit.
he didnt dare say. i was planning to ask him what unit he was in, what weapon he wanted to shoot at me, where he stationed, etcetc, but was not allowed to ask further...

dont bother with this kind of pple lah. haa haa... reasoning with him is like applying for petrol fueling officer at SMRT :bsmilie: sorry, a bit lame

instead of those ridiculous, paranoid, political, propagandic "warnings" in media of possible "terrorist" attacks

the people up there really educate the public that hey, singaporeans are not robots ruled by constant messages of fear, that creativity should be not be compromised by paranoia,

and that its okay for people to have their own hobbies

and that the lens is not an invasive phallus and is a tool for art.

AOJ

- Ability
- Opportunity
- Jeopardy

(1) The hostile person has the ability to cause serious, grevious harm, or even death - eg - possession of a chef's knife, gun, rifle, lance, sword... etc

(2) The hostile person has the opportunity to use this weapon against another person - eg - argument turned into a fight and now has the opportunity/chance/potential to cause grevious bodily harm or even death

(3) jeopardy. The party in danger is clearly in trouble and unless extreme action is taken - he or she will likely be badly hurt or killed.

When these three conditions are satisfied - a policeman can fire his gun. Which is.. very rare.. because the presence of our men in blue is usually enough to cause people who are fighting to flee and settle their dispute at another time

photographers? the most hostle weapon they have is about as good as using a 1-series as a hammer. the most opportunity he'll get is to knock another person with a camera and body lens combo. will that put another party in great jeopardy? Probably not...

so no worries...

+evenstar said:
Can anyone enlighten me? I've some maniac who claims that he is a security guard and that he'll use violence on photographers who take photo of the building under his charge...(i found this statement hilarious)
That bugger can stop you if...

1. You are in a restricted area, e.g., near air base or military camp.
2. You are very near to a jetty or airport (I got my bags and IC checked near Punggol beach)
3. You don't have any permits to take photos or videos near the premise.
4. You appeared to be carrying lots of bulky equipment in which sometimes, these people can misunderstand as dangerous equipment. One such equipment is the tripod. (Yes I kana that before also).

You also mentioned that this bugger claims to be a security guard. Was he in a uniform? Does he have his ID with him or something? If he doesn't have any of those or at least, the logo of his corporation he's working for, then just ignore him.

I guess when he says violence, he can also mean that he can confiscate your equipment, chase you out of the vicinity or worse, beat you up with his baton if you strike back.

Using the gun is probably only for the worst case scenarios. He will be in deep **** if he uses his gun for such trivial matters.

kind of lame of you not able to provide some facts of your encounter.

i feel that those with feeble minds and uninformed tend to be none the wiser after the encounter.

+evenstar said:
he didnt dare say. i was planning to ask him what unit he was in, what weapon he wanted to shoot at me, where he stationed, etcetc, but was not allowed to ask further...

+evenstar said:
*- not a terrorism threat
*- no one was goin to be injured/kill during yr "shooting"(photo taking)
*- make sure you are not pointing any dangerous weapon to anyone, eg knife,gun
*- not holding any bombs or explosives
*- not behaving suspious around sensitive areas like switch rm/generator...

above all( i think ) if you are not doin, any police officer/military soldier or guards are not surpose to issue you a Rules of Engagment.
else you can have yr self-defence up to protect yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.