Circular polarizing filter<<help>>

Status
Not open for further replies.

noob117

Oct 16, 2006
west
i just got this filter and i am not sure how to use it.
i know the turning thing at the end to adjust the amount of polarization.
but how i know what effect i get when i turn where?
img5650smallbd5.jpg

refer to pix
i dun know if this is a defect..
owners of this filter ur help is most welcome :)
img5653smallly5.jpg

thks

mount it and turn... while turning look at ur LCD/viewfinder... should be able to see some different.

When you have mounted it, just keep turning the OUTER portion. Don't unscrew it. You should see the skies turning more blue. If skies are not blue enough to see a difference, just look at reflections on glass, etc. Sure got difference. Of course not like magic saturation tool la, but it should work somewhat.

ok i dun see any difference on the blur skys
but i tot reflections are due to the angle?
any links on detailed instructions? thks.

lol
sry spell wrong
:bsmilie:
not as easy to use as i tot...

actually its quite easy to use. when I started, i too made the mistake of unscrewing the cpl filter instead of turning the polariser. It should work.

lol
sry spell wrong
:bsmilie:
not as easy to use as i tot...

Looking thru the VF can be a little difficult to tell the degree of polarization from just the skies. Try the reflections of water instead.

Also remember the 90 degrees (perpendicular to sun's ray) rule of thumb.

defn not a defect.

mount ur cam on the tripod and fix ur image on a clear patch of sky
mounting it on a tripod allows u to concentrate on the image at hand
e.g. u can try this from any highrise building

try turning the cpl to see the effect, u may or may not notice it
turn the cpl and take a few pics and view it on screen to see noticable difference

or test the CPL on the LCD monitor.. as u turn, LCD screen can be seen or cant be seen.. try it..

just remember, polarizers makes grass greener by blocking(reducing) reflection of the foilage(which causes a decrease in contrast). so just rotate till you find the surrounding objects have least reflection. that's the one you want.

Try it on a power on tv and LCD screen u will see the big diff when u turn ur filter.

You can test CPL w/o using a camera. Just see thru it against something reflective or sky. Turn the outer layer of the filter until you see the reflection reduce.

just some reminders.

polarizing filter able to minimize reflections in many areas, but unable to remove reflections on metallic surface, highlights or hotspots.

if you don't believe this, then you can try on a mirror to see whether are you able to remove your own reflection.

and also, stack two polarizing filters together will not make blue sky bluer, don't believe? anyone want to try it out and tell me what will happen?

and also, stack two polarizing filters together will not make blue sky bluer, don't believe? anyone want to try it out and tell me what will happen?

:bsmilie: Quantum mechanics.

2 filters together and you'd get a wonderful variable ND. You can almost cut off all the light.

i stacked UV filter with my CPL...caused vignetting....

That's quite common. Remove your UV filter when you're using your CPL or get a ultra slim UV filter instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.