Circular Polarizers

Status
Not open for further replies.

otnaicus

Nov 28, 2003
Tampines
Visit site
Hi, newbie here... Just wanna ask how do you know when you've adjusted the polarizer to a position such that it's effect is maximum. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks... :)

otnaicus said:
Hi, newbie here... Just wanna ask how do you know when you've adjusted the polarizer to a position such that it's effect is maximum. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks... :)

Err... judge with your eye?? :bsmilie:

Actually there's no right or wrong way to use the circular polariser. But from the very limited photography knowledge that I know of, you can use blue colour as the guideline for the desired effects. Turn the right around slightly, left and right, and judge for yourself what kind of effect you want. Some may saw 90 degree to the sun, but no one is going to bring a geometric equipment to measure that right? :dunno:

The_Cheat said:
Err... judge with your eye?? :bsmilie:

Actually there's no right or wrong way to use the circular polariser. But from the very limited photography knowledge that I know of, you can use blue colour as the guideline for the desired effects. Turn the right around slightly, left and right, and judge for yourself what kind of effect you want. Some may saw 90 degree to the sun, but no one is going to bring a geometric equipment to measure that right? :dunno:

I second that! There is a theoretical optimal angle to light source that the polariser will work best, but you judge by rotating the front element of the filter until you get your desired effect, be it a deep blue sky or reduced reflections. Just need to play around a little with it to get some feel for it. Better yet, take some test shots and see what you get. Bear in mind you lose some light and might mildly degrade your image quality.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.