circular polarizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

philip827

Aug 17, 2004
upp east coast road
Hello ppl... will be going for holiday trip to Bintan 2 weeks from now.
Shd i go and purchase a circular polarizer?
Went to one shop in peninsula plaza today and they are selling Hoya one for $110(abit ex?).

And would like to know when to put on/off the polarizer if i purchased one.
Thanks in advance.

Circular polariser is used mainly to saturate colours and cut down on reflections and glare. It's effect is controllable (you can control the amount of polarisation). It's most useful for scenics, but do note that you will lost 1-2 stops of light.

justarius said:
Circular polariser is used mainly to saturate colours and cut down on reflections and glare. It's effect is controllable (you can control the amount of polarisation). It's most useful for scenics, but do note that you will lost 1-2 stops of light.

Hi... so it is best used for landscape shots right?
Hmm... polariser loose 1-2 stops, if use with ND filter loose 3 more stops... i need tripod in a bright day liao :bsmilie:

i think must have looked like a carrot, a 58mm cir pol, esp a hoya one will not cost you $110... think about less than 40 will get you that, i have forgotten how much i got my 58mm cir pol already...

yeah i was expecting it to cost around 30-40, like my UV filter. Was shocked by that price.Actually wanted to go to Cathay peninsula to ask for the price but they were closed, so just hopped into one of the shop beside.

One more query, shd i use polariser for sunrise/sunset shots?
Gdnite and thanks for your replys.

philip827 said:
yeah i was expecting it to cost around 30-40, like my UV filter. Was shocked by that price.Actually wanted to go to Cathay peninsula to ask for the price but they were closed, so just hopped into one of the shop beside.

quite depends on the effect you want... mostly the cir pol will cut off the reflection of the water, & unless you want to have a little darker pics preventing the sun from directly shining into the lens, you can use a cir pol.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i think must have looked like a carrot, a 58mm cir pol, esp a hoya one will not cost you $110... think about less than 40 will get you that, i have forgotten how much i got my 58mm cir pol already...

name the shop leh so that we can condemn it ....

anyway ... if he quoted u 110 .... could be the price of a ultra-thin HMC C-PL one. ...

philip827 said:

Depending, if you did not specify the quality you want, chances are they might had quoted you a Ultra UV-PL-Circular polariser.... or they might had quoted you a SHMC Circular Polariser. Both a pretty expensive.

Do you ppl suggest i get a cheap/expensive circular polariser?

That shop is just opposite from Cathay peninsula...
Anyway when the salesperson told me it cost $110, I was like :what: , and he said yeah all polarisers cost that much. :think:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
quite depends on the effect you want... mostly the cir pol will cut off the reflection of the water, & unless you want to have a little darker pics preventing the sun from directly shining into the lens, you can use a cir pol.

The polariser will make clouds more defined right? Is it recommemded for use with sunrise/sunset?

philip827 said:
The polariser will make clouds more defined right? Is it recommemded for use with sunrise/sunset?

A polariser is useful for several things.

It can cut glare and reflections, such as reflections from water as mentioned earlier. It can be used to take portraits in very strong sunlight, giving a more pleasant skin tone. It can be used to make the sky more blue. The degree of "blue" depending on the way you turn the filter. So it can be used for sunrise and sunset, depending on the effects you are trying to achieve. It can also be used to take pictures inside glass panels.

In the use of polariser, it must be known that it will only work (or work properly) if the light source is at a right angle to your camera. For example, if you are shooting a scenic in front of you, the polariser will only work if the light comes from your right or your left. Otherwise you might be wasting your time.

It was also mentioned earlier that the use of a polariser can reduce the light by two stops, and in the context of sunset and sunrise where the light level is low, you might have to use a tripod because the shutter speed might be too low, especially if the aperture is small to allow more scenics to come into focus.

philip827 said:
...Actually wanted to go to Cathay peninsula to ask for the price but they were closed, so just hopped into one of the shop beside.
philip827 said:
...That shop is just opposite from Cathay peninsula...
Anyway when the salesperson told me it cost $110, I was like :what: , and he said yeah all polarisers cost that much. :think:
Sounds familiar. Is that shop u're referring to called "PHOTOCAM"? I bought a 52mm Raydawn Circular Polariser ($46) + 52mm Raydawn UV Filter ($16) + 36-52mm lens adapter ($28) there under similar circumstances (Cathay was closed & the guy in the opp shop keep talking to me)... Felt kena "chopped" leh...

By the way is "Raydawn" a respectable brand for lens & filters? I noticed that most users here use brands like Hoya / Tokina / Cokin / B+W... tried searching online but can't seemed to find much abt "Raydawn"...

Bought a 58mm normal hoya circular polariser(not HMC or SHMC) for $32. so a price somewhere around there would be ok. $110 is definitely kenna chopped for a normal hoya cir-pl

philip827 said:
Thanks... i will know what price range to look for next time :)
Bought a 72mm Vitacon cir-polariser for $35 only. You shouldn't pay more than $40 for a Hoya one. ;)

student said:
A polariser is useful for several things.

It can cut glare and reflections, such as reflections from water as mentioned earlier. It can be used to take portraits in very strong sunlight, giving a more pleasant skin tone. It can be used to make the sky more blue. The degree of "blue" depending on the way you turn the filter. So it can be used for sunrise and sunset, depending on the effects you are trying to achieve. It can also be used to take pictures inside glass panels.

Thanks ppl...
Hello student, you mean there is a certain degree to which u screw in the polariser? Unlike the UV filter whereby it is screwed all the way in.

Status
Not open for further replies.