Circular Polarizer - You must own one?

You must own one CPL filter?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tangklrb

Oct 7, 2008
I think CPL filter is a must have, but actually, does anyone think the other way?

If it's a must for you, what brand of CPL are you using? How much it costs?
If you don't need it, what type of photography are you actually taking, and why?
If you think it's a must but you don't own one, what you want to comment?

CPL is a must as it helps greatly during the shooting process in collecting the correct data which no PP can help if the data is lost. In this Example, if I do not have a CPL, the colour of the water will be pale with a lot of reflection of the sky.

hi, new here, any suggestion ha if i wanna get a CPL filter, wat brand should i buy for my very first dslr? and what is the price about?
i tried to search ebay just now, and i got price vary from 20dollars - 200 dollars.

I'm also new actually, I'm using SteinZeiser cpl, if not mistaken, bout it at about 35 dollars? I cant remember.

I actually.. not really know bout CPL, can anyone take a look on my photo?

3182440610_8b82d12197.jpg

The skies, and the cloud, look a bit.. fake, isn't it?
is that caused by any other problem?
or is it the effect of CPL?

welcome to comment on that photo, i'd like to learn...

Absolutely, I would never have imagined such blue skies in Singapore, that is. if not for the B+W polarizer. It made the skies look absolutely gorgeous.Here's a quick sample outside of my house.I didn't even do much processing.

3160143448_a38a614b9a.jpg

Last edited:
hi, new here, any suggestion ha if i wanna get a CPL filter, wat brand should i buy for my very first dslr? and what is the price about?
i tried to search ebay just now, and i got price vary from 20dollars - 200 dollars.

I found one site on eBay offering brand new ones for S$10. Click here to see.

Anybody tried?

Absolutely, I would never have imagined such blue skies in Singapore, that is. if not for the B+W polarizer. It made the skies look absolutely gorgeous.Here's a quick sample outside of my house.I didn't even do much processing.

3160143448_a38a614b9a.jpg

ooh,, i've never got blue skies like this even if i'm using CPL.
could it be any problem with my cpl? i'm using steinzeiser cpl.
or, if it will affected if i didnt take out my uv filter and use stack with cpl?
i'll try figure out.

they must be something wrong with me in using my cpl... lol...

its a must for me since im taking lots of landscape shots.

dont really trust the so call cheap CPL type..

ooh,, i've never got blue skies like this even if i'm using CPL.
could it be any problem with my cpl? i'm using steinzeiser cpl.
or, if it will affected if i didnt take out my uv filter and use stack with cpl?
i'll try figure out.

they must be something wrong with me in using my cpl... lol...

The technique of using it must be there. CPLs are best used when taken at an angle to the sun (90 degrees). I'm using a slim B+W on my 5d mark ii and i have to remove my UV filter even as it vignettes badly at 17mm. Otherwise no big difference stacked or not stacked.

B+Ws to me are absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
Used to think CPL is a must have. Yes the polarisation effects are not duplicable post processing. Tried using it at every instance when i got my hands on them.

Nowadays I think twice if i really need to use it, then I bring it along

Ryan

I find it extremely useful.

But you must always watch out for its limitations, of course.

I am using Hoya CPL.. Its good..

I used cheaper ones but seriously tell you when u circulate the polarisers you can't see the difference contrast..

Hoya is so much easier to see..

B+W.. Burn my pockets :(

I'm using a Hoya CPL as well. I think the effects are damn chio. After looking at it i also keep thinking the Blues all look damn blue until like fake like that :bigeyes: as you can see in the photos i took from Spain recently :

a_damn_nice_shot_1_for_CS.JPG

la_Sagrada_Familia_for_CS.JPG

To be honest, i just only started learning how to use the CPL in spain itself. Just agak-agak and turn the ring until i see a shadow in the blue sky.

i say must use! damn nice effects:thumbsup:

Last edited:
er..anyone know how to make the images bigger in the thread? kinda new here..

Polarizer is a tool like GND, ND and other filters. Use when necessary and learn how to handle. No point just getting it for the sake if having. There are many ways to use and Google helps to reveal lots of nice examples and tutorials.
Take not of side effects when using polarizer on ultra wide angle. The sky is not evenly dark blue.
Brands? Hoya is decent, Tokina as well. B+W for those who have the money and want top quality. Singh Ray, Lee and Rodenstock cost even more.

er..anyone know how to make the images bigger in the thread? kinda new here..

It's a Frequently Asked Question, answers can be found in the sticky threads on top of the various sections here.

I'm using a Hoya CPL, and it's $120+ if I remembered correctly.

any one whether Honya Pro1D CPL pricing and the normal Honya CPL ??
I thinking of buying one but the price difiference was confusing.
was quote in 1 shop in Funan ~$130 for Honya Pro1D and $200 when called to MS.
Also i see the mass sale price here ~$75....

what is the reasonable price ???

Status
Not open for further replies.