Circular polarizer with hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Hello everyone,

Ah! Since there has been a some talk on polarizers, I have a question.

Q: How does one use the circular polarizer with the hood? Does one need to turn the polarizer till the correct angle and then put the hood on? How is this done?

Polarizer - increase the colour saturation on sunny days.
Hood - reduce lens flare on sunny days.

TIA. :)

The hood is to prevent any stray light hit the lens element to cause lens flare, so if you are using a polarizer with a hood, unless you are certain no stray light will cause lens flare, (no direct sun light or any other light source cast on the front of the lens/filter) you are safe to shoot without a hood.

Canew said:
Hello everyone,

Ah! Since there has been a some talk on polarizers, I have a question.

Q: How does one use the circular polarizer with the hood? Does one need to turn the polarizer till the correct angle and then put the hood on? How is this done?

Polarizer - increase the colour saturation on sunny days.
Hood - reduce lens flare on sunny days.

TIA. :)

You have to adjust the polariser to get the optimium filtering to effect your scene shot...so it would be troublesome if you want to use a hood at the same time.

ALSO....if your AF lens are one of those which will rotate the front end of the lens, it means as it hunt to focus on your subject, it will rotate your polariser as well and thus rotate it out of your adjustment!!!

To use it the way you do, you have to be sure of the angle of your shot, never change from where you stand to take the shoot. If your lens front protion does rotate when you focus, you need focus your lens first and then set it to manual focus to stop auto AF from rotating your lens. Then you rotate and adjust your polariser and then you put that hood back on and you shoot. Problem is,,if you are shooting a moving object, people scene or candid....anything that needs sponstanous firing of your shutter...how are you going to be able to do all the steps I just mentioned and still get that shot? That means you can only do so for stationary scene or still life photography.

By the way, I have never use a hood with a polariser in all the shoot I do all this years. heheh. I use my polariser with the sun usually behind my camera and me. Personally it allows me the best effect for a polarised shot....so..why do I need a hood then? Just a thot.

Status
Not open for further replies.