Status
Not open for further replies.

Canew

Jul 26, 2005
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
Hello everyone,

A question for everyone:

Q: How does one adjust a Circular Polarizer on a lens that has a hood?
Adjust the polarizer first and then attach the hood? Then remove the hood and repeat the process again for the next shot?

TIA. :)

The lens hood on my lens has a PL filter window to ease the circular polarizing filter operation.......attach the circular polarizer and then the lens hood.....adjustment can be done by removing the PL filter window cap to turn the rim of the circular polarizing filter from the window and place back the window cap....no need to remove the lens hood...

Canew said:
Hello everyone,

A question for everyone:

Adjust the polarizer first and then attach the hood? Then remove the hood and repeat the process again for the next shot?

That's the best way to do it. The other way is ....not use the hood when you shot polariser filter. I have almost never shot any pictures with a CP filter and have the hood on at the same time. This might be just me but a hood is "uni-sided" device. It is used to shield some stray light (be from the sun or some glare) from hittng the front glass element on your lens at the extreme sides, top or bottom. This is because it can cause lens flare to occur. BUt with newer lens these day with better coating and contruction, that has been minimised. And usually if I don't have the hood with me, I use my hand to cup along the side of the lens front (like a partial hood effect) against the direction of where I think the stray "side" light is the strongest. Usually it is one sided and not coming from all direction. The worst culprit being the sun. The hood is round so it can do it's jop from all sides...so really..using your hand can do the job too.

If the hood isn't too deep, you can use the tip of your finger to slowly turn the filter... :p

Canew said:
Hello everyone,

A question for everyone:

istDeS said:
The lens hood on my lens has a PL filter window to ease the circular polarizing filter operation.......attach the circular polarizer and then the lens hood.....adjustment can be done by removing the PL filter window cap to turn the rim of the circular polarizing filter from the window and place back the window cap....no need to remove the lens hood...
My hood does not have this 'window'. Nice hood construction you have there.

sammy888, thanks for the comments.

vince123123 said:
If the hood isn't too deep, you can use the tip of your finger to slowly turn the filter... :p
vince123123, yup, that is what I am doing right now. But sometimes, my finger strays and it touches the filter - more stains to clean.

I think the best compromise, if you want to use both, is to adjust the polarizer for the desired effect before mounting the hood. Not a hassle at all.

How about you hold a microfibre cloth in your hand before you turn it?

Canew said:
sammy888, thanks for the comments.

vince123123, yup, that is what I am doing right now. But sometimes, my finger strays and it touches the filter - more stains to clean.

yyD70S said:
I think the best compromise, if you want to use both, is to adjust the polarizer for the desired effect before mounting the hood. Not a hassle at all.
Yes, yyD70S, that could be the way or as vince123123 recommended, use a micro fiber cloth. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.