Circular polarizer help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeWei

Jun 9, 2006
Hi all, I just bought a Hoya CPL, I found that the image turn out to be darker then the normal, may I know what is the recommended camera setting when we use this filter? such as +0.3EV? Or is there any good resources to teach us how to use CPL? Thanks.

Thank you for asking and also sharing the article. :)

+evenstar said:
no need to adjust EV since exposure sensor is inside the camera
Wah seh, then I wonder why they put the EV control into the camera for? :confused: :confused:

A polarizer has two rings. The bottom ring screws on to the front thread of a lens, and the top ring is rotatable. As the top ring rotates, one can see the effect through the LCD monitor.

this is taken from the article from the threadstarter. then DSLRs ...u gotta take a few times to compare the effects? i know it sounds stupid, but is there a more effective way of viewing the polariser effect?

i also noticed from my polarisers, they rotate, yes. but i dun really understand how the markings work. my hoyas hv a white strip, kenkos hv a white arrow.

if this has been discussed before, then nvm. thanks. :)

niki said:
this is taken from the article from the threadstarter. then DSLRs ...u gotta take a few times to compare the effects? i know it sounds stupid, but is there a more effective way of viewing the polariser effect?

i also noticed from my polarisers, they rotate, yes. but i dun really understand how the markings work. my hoyas hv a white strip, kenkos hv a white arrow.

if this has been discussed before, then nvm. thanks. :)

I use the white strip as an indicator of where to start by turning it towards the sun.
Then I adjust by rotating the outer ring until reflections are gone or colour/contrast is to my satisfaction, viewing through the viewfinder.

mariner,

r u using a p&s? thanks for ur reply

niki said:
mariner,

r u using a p&s? thanks for ur reply
I started with a P&S but only used polarizers and other filters when I got my prosumer.
Now I use a SLR/dSLR more.

i'm using a dslr.. when when i rotate, i dun see any diff... so i assume i gotta take the pics 1st b4 seeing them?

i also wonder why it has to be rotating since the matte pattern is radial. no point in rotating isnt it? unless it's axial.

niki said:
i'm using a dslr.. when when i rotate, i dun see any diff... so i assume i gotta take the pics 1st b4 seeing them?
nope, the effect can be seen through the VF...try it on your LCD screen/TV/watch/calculator/etc and you'll see the effect..

niki said:
Note the angle of light you're cutting off at, certain angles you cannot see anything. Best recommended angle is 90 degrees from the sun.

Also the type of CPL used does matter. Certain types like Hoya or the cheapo ones serve only to use as a ND filter more than a CPL, so no matter how you turn, you can't see sh!t.

AncientMariner said:
I use the white strip as an indicator of where to start by turning it towards the sun.
Then I adjust by rotating the outer ring until reflections are gone or colour/contrast is to my satisfaction, viewing through the viewfinder.
And, IIRC, try to put the sun behind you for greater blue skylight effect. That's mean it is better to take photos in the morning or afternoon (not when the sun on your top).

Regards,
Arto.

DeWei said:
Hi all, I just bought a Hoya CPL, I found that the image turn out to be darker then the normal, may I know what is the recommended camera setting when we use this filter? such as +0.3EV? Or is there any good resources to teach us how to use CPL? Thanks.
your camera metering will automatic adjust to get it's exposure.

jnet6 said:
your camera metering will automatic adjust to get it's exposure.

But I consistently get darker images, but if I set to +0.3EV, then it should be alright. :sweat:

DeWei said:
But I consistently get darker images, but if I set to +0.3EV, then it should be alright. :sweat:
if i'm not wrong may due to the colour casting for the CP...
which may give a darker look.

Artosoft said:
And, IIRC, try to put the sun behind you for greater blue skylight effect. That's mean it is better to take photos in the morning or afternoon (not when the sun on your top).

Regards,
Arto.

Actually, with the sun behind you the polarizer has minimal, if not nil, effect.
Why people prefer to shoot during the 2 hours after sunrise and before sunset is it offers good lighting conditions because the lighting is more diffused and less harsh and not because of any reason related to using polarizers.

Artosoft said:

Regards,
Arto.
as espn said, it's 90 degrees (on the same plane) from the sun, not 180 degrees (sun behind you).

Status
Not open for further replies.