Circular polarizer for FZ5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaXiong

Feb 17, 2006
Hi bro,:cool:

I am looking for a Circular polarizer for FZ5. Tried to search in Panasonic FAQ, the thread is very confusing... :dunno: It end up become a SD card discussion..

So, may i know what brand/type of circular polarizer u use for ur FZ5? Where u bought it & how much?

Initially i was thinking of buying a bigger polarizer, so that i can use on my DSLR lens & also use it with step up ring with my FZ5. Tried to post a thread in Nikon forum, alamak..... result ---> Nikon CP II which cost more than S$200. :bigeyes:

Since i had no experience in using polarizer, i would like to buy a small one for FZ5 1st (since it's more affortable) if i am sure i really need a polarizer, & happy with using it, then i'll go & buy a good one (Nikon, B+W) for my DSLR in future....

Is it a good idea? :D

well if you're looking for the better quality ones then B+W and anything other than hoya will suite. Do note that price increases with quality.

As for me, a usual 55mm hoya cir-polarising will do the trick.

btw just a tip to all pana users. I found out that panasonic sells their NC[neutral colour] at a price of $38 at one of the shops near the city hall area.

here's a transcript of the email i got.

Hi,
We are selling Filter DMW-LMC55 for a FZ5
The cost is $38.00 nett
If you are interested please call us
Denstrade Co ( Mr. Goh )
No 1 North Bridge Road
#01 -K1 High Street Center
Singapore 179094
Tel : 6334 3218 Monday to Saturday
10.00am to 6.30 pm.
Thank You

metallilan said:
well if you're looking for the better quality ones then B+W and anything other than hoya will suite. Do note that price increases with quality.

As for me, a usual 55mm hoya cir-polarising will do the trick.

bro.. a bit confusing ler... :think: ??????

haha. simple ar..

if you're looking for cpl for usual usage, Hoya is the best ar, price wise.

uh huh... ok.. understood liao.

How much is ur 55mm Hoya CP? How does it perform? ;) mind to share?

forgot how much i got it for..maybe $20 can get...got mine from john 3:16 but anywhere also can get. performance...er as usual lor. haha.

LOL Hoya rocks.
Forget about the Nikon/B+W ones.. Waste $$, IMHO. Has anyone here tried them? I find that the B+W slim CPL don't work well at all. Sure it polarizes, but... it does **** to remove/ehance reflections etc..

Anyway for the FZ5 can use normal Linear Polarizers.

I'd suggest get Hoya. (relatively) Cheap and good, and colour is pretty neutral for me.

metallilan said:
forgot how much i got it for..maybe $20 can get...got mine from john 3:16 but anywhere also can get. performance...er as usual lor. haha.

hmm.. ok. affortable ler. :think: will get one tomolo... hee... as long as the image is not degrade too much, i think it's worth to try.

Me Circular polarizer super newbie... got some silly question for u.

Normally we use it when....

the sun light is too strong (eg; mid day) which cause over cast, color become not rich.
& shooting pic where there is some strong reflection (from water or glass etc)
Am i correct?

Does it means that for outdoor usage we only use it around 12 pm to 4pm? Normally under what circumstance u will use it?

hee..... :sweat: pai say pai say .. lots of stupid questions...

unseen said:
LOL Hoya rocks.
Forget about the Nikon/B+W ones.. Waste $$, IMHO. Has anyone here tried them? I find that the B+W slim CPL don't work well at all. Sure it polarizes, but... it does **** to remove/ehance reflections etc..

Anyway for the FZ5 can use normal Linear Polarizers.

I'd suggest get Hoya. (relatively) Cheap and good, and colour is pretty neutral for me.

Hi Unseen...

Thanks... with ur recommendation & feedback, surely i will get Hoya. :thumbsup:
U means LINEAR polarizer?? i tot it's not suitable for AF camera?
Heard that some Circular polarizer will cause vignetting for wide angle lens due to their ring thickness, is that true?
Because i intend to buy one for my DSLR if i find that it is very useful & i really need it.
Do u have any idea which one will not cause vignetting for lens at 18mm?

DaXiong said:
hmm.. ok. affortable ler. :think: will get one tomolo... hee... as long as the image is not degrade too much, i think it's worth to try.

Me Circular polarizer super newbie... got some silly question for u.

Normally we use it when....

the sun light is too strong (eg; mid day) which cause over cast, color become not rich.
& shooting pic where there is some strong reflection (from water or glass etc)
Am i correct?

Does it means that for outdoor usage we only use it around 12 pm to 4pm? Normally under what circumstance u will use it?

hee..... :sweat: pai say pai say .. lots of stupid questions...

In short yea, polariser is meant to cut down on the amount of light hitting your sensors. Circular ones are recommended for AF cameras though I know some people use linear ones without much problems. Dunno lah, since I already have a linear on my old 24mm lens, I will get a circular for my FZ30. And actually ah, at 18mm, many filters do cause vignetting due to the thickness so try and get a thin one I guess. I used a Cokin system before and even at 24mm, there was some vignetting so I guess with 18mm it'll be worse.

G-man said:
In short yea, polariser is meant to cut down on the amount of light hitting your sensors. Circular ones are recommended for AF cameras though I know some people use linear ones without much problems. Dunno lah, since I already have a linear on my old 24mm lens, I will get a circular for my FZ30. And actually ah, at 18mm, many filters do cause vignetting due to the thickness so try and get a thin one I guess. I used a Cokin system before and even at 24mm, there was some vignetting so I guess with 18mm it'll be worse.

Hi G-man,

SO can i say that Cir polarizer is not suitable for wide angle lor. :D

Question
=======
If you want to buy cir polarizer, What size will u buy if you have the following items:

1) a DSLR
2) Lenses with diameter: 52mm, 67mm, 77mm
3) FZ5 [Lens diameter = 55mm]

option 1
--------
Did some research, some say buy a 77mm settle for all with a few step down/up ring. :cool: But it also means that u can not screw in the hood for all lenses except 77mm. Am i correct to say so? If 77mm Hoya, roughly how much huh?

option 2
--------
i personally think that..
Alternatively, i also can buy a HOYA 55mm cir polarizer (which is ard S$20?) for FZ5 & the 52mm dia lens.

In future.........
if happy with Hoya performance = buy a Hoya 77mm for other lenses.
if really not satisfy with Hoya, buy a Nikon or B+W 77mm polarizer. :sweat: $$$$$$$$$

Any better idea beside these 2??? :D

Hmmmm, dunno wor. I normally just buy the one for the lens size I am using. Your case abit more complex.:dunno:

Sorry cannot help you much I know.

ok. thanks.... :D

metallilan said:
haha. simple ar..

if you're looking for cpl for usual usage, Hoya is the best ar, price wise.

Try to get Tokina if you are on the budget side, even cheaper than Hoya...

DaXiong said:
Hi G-man,

SO can i say that Cir polarizer is not suitable for wide angle lor. :D

Question
=======
If you want to buy cir polarizer, What size will u buy if you have the following items:

1) a DSLR
2) Lenses with diameter: 52mm, 67mm, 77mm
3) FZ5 [Lens diameter = 55mm]

option 1
--------
Did some research, some say buy a 77mm settle for all with a few step down/up ring. :cool: But it also means that u can not screw in the hood for all lenses except 77mm. Am i correct to say so? If 77mm Hoya, roughly how much huh?

option 2
--------
i personally think that..
Alternatively, i also can buy a HOYA 55mm cir polarizer (which is ard S$20?) for FZ5 & the 52mm dia lens.

In future.........
if happy with Hoya performance = buy a Hoya 77mm for other lenses.
if really not satisfy with Hoya, buy a Nikon or B+W 77mm polarizer. :sweat: $$$$$$$$$

Any better idea beside these 2??? :D

If you have dSLR lenses which have 55mm, 67mm and 77mm, which will be your wide angle lens?

My experience is that I only use CP when I am on the wide side - Landscape photography, else, if I am using zoom into the sky, the sky will no longer be my subject, it will be something else, hence, CP for zoom is not important to me anymore.

I have FZ10 and D70, and I have 2 different sets of filters. It is easier that way.

JimDavis said:
If you have dSLR lenses which have 55mm, 67mm and 77mm, which will be your wide angle lens?

My experience is that I only use CP when I am on the wide side - Landscape photography, else, if I am using zoom into the sky, the sky will no longer be my subject, it will be something else, hence, CP for zoom is not important to me anymore.

I have FZ10 and D70, and I have 2 different sets of filters. It is easier that way.

Hi JimDavis...

Me D70 user too. Widest? my kit lens lor... Which polarizer u use for ur D70? Normally u use it at 18mm? Any experience to share?

So i will buy a 55mm for FZ5 & another for D70. :think:

theres a hoya 55mm going for $35 at John 3.16.

going to get that one

kentay said:
theres a hoya 55mm going for $35 at John 3.16.

going to get that one

Thanks, bro....will go there tomolo evening ard 630pm. AP at Funan want to sell me at S$ 49 when i went there this afternoon. Luckily never bought there. If not, heart pain pain. :bheart: haha...

DaXiong said:
Hi Unseen...

Thanks... with ur recommendation & feedback, surely i will get Hoya. :thumbsup:
U means LINEAR polarizer?? i tot it's not suitable for AF camera?
Heard that some Circular polarizer will cause vignetting for wide angle lens due to their ring thickness, is that true?
Because i intend to buy one for my DSLR if i find that it is very useful & i really need it.
Do u have any idea which one will not cause vignetting for lens at 18mm?

Linear Polarizers didn't work with those early generation AF MECHANICAL cameras. Not true for some of panasonic's digital cameras. I've personally tested FX8/9, FZ3/5 all works. SHOULD be true for all their cameras.
dSLRs are still 1/2 mechanical. Light is split/taken and sent to a different "sensor" to do AF, based on polarization etc. I've a theory that for small DCs AF is done digitally, processed by the CCD + microprocessor, by shifting the lenses and stopping only when a sharp edge is obtained.

DaXiong said:
Hi JimDavis...

Me D70 user too. Widest? my kit lens lor... Which polarizer u use for ur D70? Normally u use it at 18mm? Any experience to share?

So i will buy a 55mm for FZ5 & another for D70. :think:

If you are using the kit lense, then I think you should get the 67mm CP.

I am currently using Hoya, which is good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.