Circular Polarisers

Status
Not open for further replies.

yehosaphat

Oct 28, 2005
North
Hi to all CP users,

I heard that CP helps to saturate colors especially when you want to make the sky more blue or the grass more green etc... and other things like cutting out reflections when shooting through a glass panel. Is that true?

I tried out the Hoya CP the other day but realise that, yes it cuts out reflections from glass, but when i tried taking outdoor pics, the pictures just turned out darker with the CP... any idea why?

U will lose one or 2 stops or light when using a CPL. Just adjust ur exposure to compensate accordingly.

Also, u will need to turn ur CPL to get the best effect, depending on which direction u're facing. Use ur viewfinder to gauge. Well, the so-called best effect can be, let's say, when the sky is the bluest.

U will need to know roughly how a polariser works. Can do a google or something, it's quite technical, and can be a killer if u don't like physics :bsmilie:

Oh ya, forgot to add, the polariser is least effective when pointed directly into the Sun, and also when the sun is directly behind u.

Also, adjust ur exposure only after turning ur CPL for best effect :cheers:

Wah.. so many constraints.. sun cannot be behind or in front of me?! Might as well use PS to touch up the blue sky afterward rite? ;p

yehosaphat said:
Wah.. so many constraints.. sun cannot be behind or in front of me?! Might as well use PS to touch up the blue sky afterward rite? ;p
Now with the wonders of PS and other software, many of the filter effects can be simulated.

But the polariser effect remains one of the most difficult to copy. U can try ... let me know when u succeed :)

If the sky is clear blue then PS can be used to darken it effectively. If there are clouds then PS will be very challenging to selectively darken the blue sky without affecting the clouds.

Also, PS cannot remove reflections like a polarizer can.

Thanks for comments. Any idea what is a good brand of CP? B+W, Hoya?

Any idea where is selling B+W CP?

yehosaphat said:
Thanks for comments. Any idea what is a good brand of CP? B+W, Hoya?

Any idea where is selling B+W CP?
A CP is best used at 90 degrees angle away from the sun.

B+W, Nikon makes good CPs... Hoya CP feel more like ND filters than CPs to me.

espn said:

What is ND?

So where can get B+W CP and how much does one cost for 58mm?

espn said:

eh what is 90 degrees angle away from the sun? don understand leh :think:

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
eh what is 90 degrees angle away from the sun? don understand leh :think:
Let me try to explain.
First make a 90 degree formation using your thumb and forefinger (left or right ahnd does not matter) - like making a pistol when we were kids.
The point the forefinger to the sun. Rotate your hand, the plane that the thumb is pointing to is the plane where the polarizer will have the maximum effect.
Hope this helps... :)

yehosaphat said:
What is ND?

So where can get B+W CP and how much does one cost for 58mm?
yehosaphat, ND - Neutral Density filters. They are filters that does nothing but block out about 2 stops of light. Used for very bright situations where slow shutter is needed at the same time.
You can get B+W CPs from any of the photographic shops around.

Canew said:
yehosaphat, ND - Neutral Density filters. They are filters that does nothing but block out about 2 stops of light.
ND filters block out x-stops number of light depending on which one you use, it doesn't just block out 2 stops of light.

ND2 blocks out 1 stop, ND4 blocks out 2 stops. There's a legend of a Nikon ND100 that blocks out 16 stops of light, will have to ask sykestang for more info.

espn said:
ND filters block out x-stops number of light depending on which one you use, it doesn't just block out 2 stops of light.
Yup, you are right espn, thanks for clarifying.

espn said:
ND2 blocks out 1 stop, ND4 blocks out 2 stops. There's a legend of a Nikon ND100 that blocks out 16 stops of light, will have to ask sykestang for more info.
Wow ND100! Is this used for photographing nuclear reaction?:think:

Canew said:
yehosaphat, ND - Neutral Density filters. They are filters that does nothing but block out about 2 stops of light. Used for very bright situations where slow shutter is needed at the same time.
You can get B+W CPs from any of the photographic shops around.

Thanks for the explanation... but for B+W, AP not selling lei... so not true that any shop sells that ah. Any regular places that sell them cheap and how much if possible to share?

oh i just read nelson tan's webby. he says to use a CPL best, stand with your SHOULDER facing the sun.

if u want B+W, goto CP :)

Astin said:
Wow ND100! Is this used for photographing nuclear reaction?:think:
Still got 'red star premium quality ND 1,000,000 filter', PM sykestang for more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.