Circular Polariser

Status
Not open for further replies.
If cash is no object, then get the B+W one. Last checked, $118 at CP.

Wat does a polariser do btw? Is it to reduce light?
IF it is, whats the diff between using a polariser and using a -EV on the camera?

Can use this filter as a UV filter? Can this filter be use for night time phototaking?

Polarisers are used to get more saturated colours and reduce or eliminate reflections on non metallic surfaces i.e. glass and water surfaces. You do lose some light when using the filter but that's not the same as compensating exposures on your camera. In some cases, a tripod is good to have around. This filter is not the same as the UV filter and it works best at 90 deg from the sun so I don't see how its going to work at night, without sunlight.

If you're on a tight budget, get the Hoya ones. The price will depend on what size you're looking at.

Originally posted by fusetrips
Can use this filter as a UV filter? Can this filter be use for night time phototaking?

Take the sky and sometimes you see clouds appearing where it isn't there due to the increase in colour saturation =p. Very nice =) And also if you are in a car and want to take snapshot of things outside, you need this filter to eliminate the reflection. Very effective.. nearly 100% gone. It can also be use like a NR filter.

Sounds real good. Then why isnt everyone using it for outdoor shots? It sounds like a good thing but then I don think that many ppl using it right? Compared to the non polar users.

Originally posted by Galaa
Sounds real good. Then why isnt everyone using it for outdoor shots? It sounds like a good thing but then I don think that many ppl using it right? Compared to the non polar users.

I use it cos I take alot of sceanary shot. Polar. filter is not useful at night/indoor shots/portraits... =) I also enjoy taking pic of people while my dad is driving and also since I'm go on tour pretty often, so it's very nice to be able to take pic thru the window.

Originally posted by Galaa

People do use it for outdoor shots, but not all the time. If there isn't any obvious reflections you want to cut down, or there isn't an intention to enhance saturation/contrast, you'd prob want to dismount your CirPL cos it will take away 1 to 2 stops from the exposure.

Originally posted by Zoomer
If cash is no object, then get the B+W one. Last checked, $118 at CP.

other than this B+W one, anyone still got other choice?
i looking for a mid range one

AP quote me $35 for a dunno wat TACOM or something like that brand

Originally posted by overcrash

other than this B+W one, anyone still got other choice?
i looking for a mid range one

AP quote me $35 for a dunno wat TACOM or something like that brand

I tried both B+W and HOYA

B+W really much better, but at a price of $118!!!

HOYA dun seems to be as effective as B+W...but it cost only $40

are there any filter which is in between HOYA and B+W in terms of price and quality?

Originally posted by kamwai

are there any filter which is in between HOYA and B+W in terms of price and quality?

yah i also like to know
cos if wan to buy also dun buy a too lousy one
:embrass:

Stuff that are good and cheap are rare. Some filters cost as much as few hundred dollars. Of course, the B+W filters are better, provided you are willing to pay the premium. Costing about 100% more, they have to be better than Hoyas. Hoya filters are not bad for what they are and what they cost. B+W is a step up from Hoya and I don't think there is something in between. Maybe Tiffen filters.

Filters are just like other stuff, you get what you pay for. Not sure if AP sells Hoya filters but you can get them in shops around Peninsula. As for the price, mentioned this before also, it depends on the size of filter you're getting. I got a Hoya polariser 77mm diameter for $60 at Camera Workshop.

Kamwai, did you use both filters to shoot the same scene, same location and under identical lighting condition? I know there should be some differences but "much better"?

Originally posted by Kit

Kamwai, did you use both filters to shoot the same scene, same location and under identical lighting condition? I know there should be some differences but "much better"?

yes...i think Dragos have both Hoya and B+W polariser...and i borrow both of them to try out in the same location, same scene and same lighting...

i found out that B+W can make the sky more blue and can cut off MUCH MORE reflection on water. ( i already turned the polariser until it gives the best results)

also, the B+W build is better, heavier and the feeling of turning the polariser is smoother.

That's the different for B+W and HOYA...but i seldom need to use PL, so i dun think it is worth to pay $118 for it....unlike UV filter, which is on the camera at ALL time, so i always tell pple to get B+W UV filter...

yes...i think Dragos have both Hoya and B+W polariser...and i borrow both of them to try out in the same location, same scene and same lighting...

i found out that B+W can make the sky more blue and can cut off MUCH MORE reflection on water. ( i already turned the polariser until it gives the best results)

also, the B+W build is better, heavier and the feeling of turning the polariser is smoother.

That's the different for B+W and HOYA...but i seldom need to use PL, so i dun think it is worth to pay $118 for it....unlike UV filter, which is on the camera at ALL time, so i always tell pple to get B+W UV filter...

aiiiiiiii
B+W is $118 leh
muz save so long sia
really now between B+W and Hoya.
wat do you guys suggest?

I have a Nikon Cir-pol. The big advantage about the nikon is that the cir pol is larger in diameter than adaptor ring. I bought it for my 24mm which is 52mm filter size so the price was ok, but now i have 2 lenses with 77mm filter size...

Why don't more people use polarisers?
(1) They shoot at sunrise and sunset where a polariser is really not necessary. [If you are a serious landscape shooter, what are u doing shooting at midday :) ] Also... cut off reflection from the water? Landscape photographers want reflections (the good kind that is)

(2) Polariser makes the colour cooler. Which is why you have the Moose Warming Polariser.. so that can rule out this objection except I'm not sure how 'reputable' a brand Kenko is.

(3) Unless you are using a topnotch polariser, image quality suffers.

(4) Not really possible to use polariser + ND Grad - guaranteed vignetting with 35mm or wider.

In my early days, I tended to go polariser crazy and my shots weren't necessarily better because of it... but sometimes, it helped (luck?):
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=295383 [hoya polariser]

Buy a Hoya polariser, play with it, then go concentrate on more important things ;)

also see http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/filters.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.