Circular Polariser and UV Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.blitzstorm.com
Hi all,

I've got 1 circular polariser and 1 UV filter.

I know that the polariser is used for cutting down reflections and making sky shots "bluer" (how come circular?)

I also know that UV filter is for cutting those UV sunlights when taking day shots.

Problem is, when should I use which filter? Since both are good for day shots?

How about for night shots and human shots?

Thanks for any help!

Originally posted by Blitz
Hi all,

I've got 1 circular polariser and 1 UV filter.

I know that the polariser is used for cutting down reflections and making sky shots "bluer" (how come circular?)

I also know that UV filter is for cutting those UV sunlights when taking day shots.

Problem is, when should I use which filter? Since both are good for day shots?

How about for night shots and human shots?

Thanks for any help!

I stack both together.....no vignette problem so far.

For night and human shot...pls take out the cir pol....it'll give human skin tone an un-natural bluish cast + blk out some light.

Originally posted by Jayan

I stack both together.....no vignette problem so far.

For night and human shot...pls take out the cir pol....it'll give human skin tone an un-natural bluish cast + blk out some light.

Hail Oly CEO for his prompt reply :D

For my case, I have slight vignette when using my circular polariser but hmm....will try if I stack with my UV will make it worse or not.....

BTW, my friend had use my cam (with the polariser) to take some indoor shots of my colleagues and the results is terrible! Looks very grainy and blocky and I dunno how bad to describe it anymore. (With flash somemore!)

Is that cos of the polariser?

Thanks again ah Jayan! :dent:

Hail Oly CEO for his prompt reply :D

For my case, I have slight vignette when using my circular polariser but hmm....will try if I stack with my UV will make it worse or not.....

BTW, my friend had use my cam (with the polariser) to take some indoor shots of my colleagues and the results is terrible! Looks very grainy and blocky and I dunno how bad to describe it anymore. (With flash somemore!)

Is that cos of the polariser?

Thanks again ah Jayan! :dent:

If 1 filter got vignetting prob...2 are sure to make it worse.

The cir pol blocks off lotsa light!

Most likely ur C-2040z ISO setting is set to AUTO right? If so then the ISO is change to 200 or more. Thus the graininess in ur pix.

If 1 filter got vignetting prob...2 are sure to make it worse.

The cir pol blocks off lotsa light!

Most likely ur C-2040z ISO setting is set to AUTO right? If so then the ISO is change to 200 or more. Thus the graininess in ur pix.

Ah I see no wonder so grainy, thanks!

So since can't put 2 together, any idea when I should use which? Quite confusing over the usage of this 2 filters....

Ah I see no wonder so grainy, thanks!

So since can't put 2 together, any idea when I should use which? Quite confusing over the usage of this 2 filters....

The UV filter u can keep it on the lens adapter all the time......as a form of protection to ur lens.

But to increase contrast when taking landscape, sky & clouds, or shoot thru glass and u wanna reduce reflection, then take out the UV and put on the CP.

:)

The UV filter u can keep it on the lens adapter all the time......as a form of protection to ur lens.

But to increase contrast when taking landscape, sky & clouds, or shoot thru glass and u wanna reduce reflection, then take out the UV and put on the CP.

:)

ok understood. Thanks for ur help! :)

Hi all,

Thanks for any help!

why circular??? i only understand when i got into uni year 1 when they taught us the characteristics of light..........

anyway the diff between a polariser and a circular polariser is addition of a quarter-wave plate to a polarising film, which is presenting in both versions, in a circular polariser............

Status
Not open for further replies.