Circular Polar filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JC1808

Nov 22, 2008
West
Hi All,

First time using this type of filter....is it only can try out on bright day light to see the different between w or w/o mount on the filter?

Understand that with a Circular Polar Filter, its eliminates the light reflected from water, glass, painted or lacquered surface ...shop windows more transparent...etc..
Just now, tried shot my house glass cabinate (for things display inside), I tried with or with out using the circular Polar filter...and there's no different...I can still see reflection... :dunno: Should I try it on a bright Day and maybe I can see the different more clearly?

btw, my this filter I kept for a period of time...noticed that the surface now have stains errrrr look like "oil-stains"...anyone know what is that and i used lens cleaner to clean it but wont help....anyway is still ok for me, I'll be using with LX3 the diameter is small so filter center portion still look great...it just only the corner have this stains...

4290734228_6814292c9e.jpg

4290734652_ea835c6042.jpg

4290735208_bacfe13466.jpg

Last edited:
Erm. What brand CPL is that?

'France' - Cokin.

Polarization only occurs at certain angles and non-metallic surfaces.

Also, try turning the filter around while looking through it. ;)

'France' - Cokin.

Polarization only occurs at certain angles and non-metallic surfaces.

Also, try turning the filter around while looking through it. ;)

A Cokin filter and oil stains like that??

'France' - Cokin.

P164 indeed is the CPL of the Cokin series. Either this is a cheap copy or the improper storage has started already destruction of the filter. Air / humidity / whatever has started creeping between the two glass surfaces. Gone case.
TS: Read up about the usage of CPL, it's not a 'wonder filter' or wand to remove all kinds reflections. It depends on more factors and first of all direct sunlight where a polarization layer can be filtered out.
More to read: http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/polarizing-filter.html

The oil stain is due to the CPL layer dislodging from the glass resulting in wavy surface. Poor quality.

This is sure one ugly filter with those rim.

I have seen a Nikon CPL that suffered from the same problem. The smudge is somehow trapped between the glass layers.

Is that a sprocket mount circular polariser ?

ryan

P164 indeed is the CPL of the Cokin series. Either this is a cheap copy or the improper storage has started already destruction of the filter. Air / humidity / whatever has started creeping between the two glass surfaces. Gone case.
TS: Read up about the usage of CPL, it's not a 'wonder filter' or wand to remove all kinds reflections. It depends on more factors and first of all direct sunlight where a polarization layer can be filtered out.
More to read: http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/polarizing-filter.html

Hi Octarine,

I think is the poor storage handling...gone case...but as I am using it with a 52mm camera, and the center area of the CPL there is no "oil-stain" on the surface, I am not sure can still salvge and use it or is better to get a new CPL......

btw, thanks for the link!

Polarization is most effective at 90 degrees to the sun. With the sun right behind you (180 degrees), polarization is almost non-existent.

think of the filter more of like a blind... it cuts light from 2 directions... if you put 2 of those lens together at some angle it will totally block out all lights...

:) have fun. It will be very useful in capturing scenery with nice sky colours...

Hi all,

Need helps...I tried out using a CPL....I rotate the CPL to get the amount of effect of the clouds, but the building looks like underexplose....

Can teach me how to avoid that...

Both taken at ISO80 A mode F2.0 using LX3

W/O CPL
4303504936_610c1d4820.jpg

With CPL
4303504930_f6b382077c.jpg

Last edited:
Look where the sun is ... your CPL cuts off stray light that brightens the front of the building. Read your manual for Exposure Compensation.

Hi all,

Need helps...I tried out using a CPL....I rotate the CPL to get the amount of effect of the clouds, but the building looks like underexplose....

Both taken at ISO80 A mode F2.0 using LX3

A CPL cuts 2 stops of light to your camera, so either adjust your exposure compensation as mentioned or reduce your shutter speed if you're shooting in manual.

Thanks Octarine & sabee~

I tried it again!!

Hi Octarine & Sabee,

hmmm....I tried again both photo setting is same ISO80 A mode but pic1 is without any Exposure Compensation while the pic 2 I set the Exposure Compensation to +1 EV....
is this what both of you mean?

Pic 1
4303587678_c64be2789d.jpg

Pic 2
4303587846_4f83a79d23.jpg

but....maybe I still dont understand arghhhh...must read more!!

Pic 3 is totally without using any CPL and without any Exposure Compensation....I only see slight different from Pic 1, where the flat look abit underexposure..the sky colour do not look "rich" with Pic 2... am I right?
4302848263_6802395cde.jpg

hi all,

need helps...i tried out using a cpl....i rotate the cpl to get the amount of effect of the clouds, but the building looks like underexplose....

Both taken at iso80 a mode f2.0 using lx3

w/o cpl

With cpl
...]

hi octarine & sabee,

hmmm....i tried again both photo setting is same iso80 a mode but pic1 is without any exposure compensation while the pic 2 i set the exposure compensation to +1 ev....
Is this what both of you mean?

Pic 1

Pic 2

But....maybe i still dont understand arghhhh...must read more!!

Pic 3 is totally without using any cpl and without any exposure compensation....i only see slight different from pic 1, where the flat look abit underexposure..the sky colour do not look "rich" with pic 2... Am i right?
erm, what are the things that you dun understand?

read again the link i posted in earlier post above, u need to be shooting at 90 degree from the sun to get the maximum effect of CPL, if you are shooting with sun in front or behind you, CPL will have no (or very little) effect to your photo. CPL will also have less effect if you using it on an overcast day.

looking back at your photos, first set of photos, from the shadow cast on the building, you can see clearly where the sun is, the sun is "almost" directly above you, so you were shooting at almost 90 degree to the sun, you can see how dramatic the effect is with or without CPL.

second set of photos, where is the sun? i cant see any shadow on the building, my guess is tat was an overcast day or the sun was *hiding* behind the cloud at that time, hence less (or none) effect by using CPL, and think back what was the direction of sun, directly above you? behind you? etc, which may contribute to your final photo.

anyway, here's the link i posted earlier, which also include the angle needed to remove reflection from water surface etc.
http://www.cs.mtu.edu/~shene/DigiCam/User-Guide/filter/polarizer.html

HTH. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.