CIR-PL Filter and Potrait Lens issues

atomsmile

Oct 11, 2010
Actually 2 unrelated questions but don't want to waste threads!

1. Does anyone use CIR-PL filter on their lens all the time? I mean since it is rotate-able, you can adjust the intensity even in indoor (dim lighting) right? Of course outdoor moon light shots is a must to remove but I am just wondering anyone tried and have problem with indoor shots with their polarizing filters on? Well, lazy is the word I use for asking such question, but sometimes changing PL to UV can be troublesome especially finding a clean spot to do that to avoid as much dust as possible.

2. I have an EF50mm f/1.8 and recently acquired EF-S17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM which works fantastic with portraits as well, very versatile lens, never mind about the dust prone issue for this lens... Question is, what kind of situation will my 50mm f1.8 prime lens becomes desirable over the other zoom lens?

Thanks for sharing experiences and opinions.

1. No. Only when I need it. Also consider that it acts like an ND2 filter, so you lose a lot of light indoors. Stop worrying about dust, or just don't use a filter.

2. When you need f/1.8-f/2.8 of course.

Thanks RK!

no i am not worried with dust at all, just thought could get away with it... guess i have to do more screwing! :)

1. No. Only when I need it. Also consider that it acts like an ND2 filter, so you lose a lot of light indoors. Stop worrying about dust, or just don't use a filter.

2. When you need f/1.8-f/2.8 of course.

on top of this, the filter may cause uneven lighting in the photo.

cool thought, agree with you - this is a debate-able question for so long, being a greeny to photography... i sometimes wonder does good UV filter (the likes of HOYA HD UV)... selling at a high price helps a lot for people who just wanna protect their front element....

for me, i wouldn't spend that kind of money but may just take the UV filter (not so expensive ones) out for planned static shots i would love to have better quality just in case...

cool thought, agree with you - this is a debate-able question for so long, being a greeny to photography... i sometimes wonder does good UV filter (the likes of HOYA HD UV)... selling at a high price helps a lot for people who just wanna protect their front element....
Endless debate. But if you decide to use a filter then get a good one. Once you see ghosting and other forms of flair you will know what separates the good ones from the cheap glass. Lens hoods do a great job for protection as well, and help against stray light (which a filter cannot do).
Regarding CPL: do you wear sunglasses all day, indoor, outdoors and at night?

not to mention circular polarizers tend to have a bluish color cast...