Chuando's interview in st

Status
Not open for further replies.

reachme2003

Oct 6, 2003
let's talk about something related to photography.

chuando's interview in st on mon, 17 April. i quote from the interview. 'fashion is something not a lot of people can understand. you either do or you don't. sad to say, there are a lot of people who don't understand it but are in it.' your views pls.

note: his closest friends had advised him not to give this interview and 'to keep my mouth shut'.

looked like a BLATANT free advert for mamiya.
too little too late.
mamiya was sold off already. cannot resurrect a dead horse.

sorry, never heard of chuando before the news report.
maybe because i am kampung suakoo.
or he may be non-famous unaccomplished impostor claiming to be famous fashion photographer.
hope he did not claim to be Singapore's best fashion photographer in the interview.

he better not.

many other top pros may laugh their heads off.

Yea..have to agree with ya. Sigh the Mamiya ZD is a awesome camera. Hope to test it too.

For those who have no idea who is Chuando, he is one of our top Fashion/Commercial Photographer in Singapore. He is also the owner of one of the top model agency in Singapore, Ave model agency, with models/celebrities such as Denise Keller, Serene Chew under him.

http://www.avemanagement.com/

You can see his works there as he shoots his own models.

His works can be found easily in the ICON magazine.

Back to the topic. I have to agree with CD for some of his comments. There are a lot of people who have little idea about fashion. I must admit I have no idea about fashion, even though I was shooting some fashion pictures (everything settled by the stylists/designers/art directors) until I got involved in the industry in the last 2 years. You get acquainted with designers, Principal Brand Press racks, fashion shows, fabrics, accesories etc. Why do designers do things this way and why are labels launching a collection like this etc. What are cutting? What is styling all about.

However, I must encourage fellow photographers, especially those young ones who are interested in Fashion to do some research, understand fashion lingos, attend more fashion shows. We can only get better with more knowledge. Interact with the choreographers, stylists and designers. Ask them questions and learn from them.

You dont have to be a famous photographer, just be a really good one.

Cheers

ricohflex said:
looked like a BLATANT free advert for mamiya.
too little too late.
mamiya was sold off already. cannot resurrect a dead horse.

sorry, never heard of chuando before the news report.
maybe because i am kampung suakoo.
or he may be non-famous unaccomplished impostor claiming to be famous fashion photographer.
hope he did not claim to be Singapore's best fashion photographer in the interview.

he better not.

many other top pros may laugh their heads off.

what rock are you living under?
Chuando is one of singapore's top fashion photographers, together with wee khim
he has a right to say such things about people not understanding fashion because chuando's work is meticulous with the details...makeup, styling, hairstyling. etc etc.

I'm glad to read the interview because previously all I heard was not-very-favourable stuff about him but he seems like an alright guy, and who needs to talk when your work is such good stuff?

mattlock said:
he has a right to say such things about people not understanding fashion because chuando's work is meticulous with the details...makeup, styling, hairstyling. etc etc.

I'm glad to read the interview because previously all I heard was not-very-favourable stuff about him but he seems like an alright guy, and who needs to talk when your work is such good stuff?

Find me a rock, I need to go and live underneath it. I have absolutely no idea who is Chuando, nor do I have any idea who Wee Khim is.

One thing for sure, if I have to understand Chuando's work to understand fashion, I don't understand fashion, and that is absolutely ok with me.

Another website, I should not visit website link posted on CS, but I did.

Production quality, from photographic techniques to styling to make up, is very high, which is very important, but photography is more than that. To my eyes, the photographs exhibitd in the website lacks life, they do not reach out to touch the audience.

SniperD said:
wah.... how can anyone not know Chuan Do/ Wee Khim/ Mark Law's work....
There are so many things in this world. How can you expect everyone to know everything?

Deadpoet said:
There are so many things in this world. How can you expect everyone to know everything?

"What the deuce is it (the solar system) to me? You say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or my work." - Sherlock Holmes in A Study in Scarlet :bsmilie:

SniperD said:
Erm... I don't.

As a matter of fact, I dun even know these 2 supposedly 'great photographers'.

Am I gonna be sentenced to face a firing squad then? :dunno:

SniperD said:
I know I know! But dont know Mark Law though. Another good one I like is Geoff Ang.. ;p

I don't know any of them although I enjoy shooting a few cat walk for fun :embrass: . Probably should read more about the local fashion industry :sweat:
In most industries, there are always people who don't really understand in but still in it.

sam, pls spare us such high brow stuff lah.

nightwolf75 said:
"What the deuce is it (the solar system) to me? You say that we go round the sun. If we went round the moon it would not make a pennyworth of difference to me or my work." - Sherlock Holmes in A Study in Scarlet :bsmilie:

reachme2003 said:
let's talk about something related to photography.

chuando's interview in st on mon, 17 April. i quote from the interview. 'fashion is something not a lot of people can understand. you either do or you don't. sad to say, there are a lot of people who don't understand it but are in it.' your views pls.

note: his closest friends had advised him not to give this interview and 'to keep my mouth shut'.

does he post in ClubSnap? :embrass:

i think so, remembered chuando's nick.

Paul_Yeo said:
does he post in ClubSnap? :embrass:

eh...

actually geoff, weekhim, chuando and mark are pretty big names in the local photog industry...
and their works i must say are great...

some of u may not have heard of them before...but i'm sure u will recognize the print ads they have done...its all over man.... juz check out their websites...

http://www.weekhim.com/

http://web.mac.com/geoffang/iWeb/Site/Bio.html

weekhims and geoff's site...

Witness said:
eh...

actually geoff, weekhim, chuando and mark are pretty big names in the local photog industry...
and their works i must say are great...

some of u may not have heard of them before...but i'm sure u will recognize the print ads they have done...its all over man.... juz check out their websites...

http://www.weekhim.com/

http://web.mac.com/geoffang/iWeb/Site/Bio.html

weekhims and geoff's site...
Yea Yea.. Geoff is like my idol.. Hahaa.. ;p

Zplus said:
Wasn't Chuando a model in the early years...? Just wondering....

Becoz he looks good?? ;)
Yes, CD was a model before he turn into a photographer..

Geoff ah? Yea, he's not bad looking but.. I love his work lah.

Both CD and Geoff looks good lah :p

mattlock said:

Hey bro, dun pass comments like 'wat rock are you living under' la, very crude remarks le! :nono:
Personally I dun find CD works interesting at all. My fav photographer are Jim Zuckerman, Helmut Newton, Henri Cartier Bresson, William Klein, Robert Capa. They dun even have to use digital to 'enhance' their works. To me, digital retouching is not photography, it is cheating. :thumbsd:
A top photographer use a Mamiya? Pls la...cannot afford Hasselblad is it?

oh, visited the site given of ave
not too impressed
nothing special

really

i am neutral as i do not know chuando and got nothing for or against him

the photos in ave lack something that wee khim's (also visited the site given) seem to have

guess to put a comparison, see the 2 photos (no need for colour, just B+W will do) of the really good photographers.
now that's what I call good. These photos have a message and emotion.

(edit) By the way these photojournalism subjects do not "pose" for the photographers like what paid models will do. So in both cases, I guess the great photographers just thanked the subjects for allowing them to record and document a part of their lives; and took the pictures as best as they could. With these limitations, both great photographers still found the angle to make the shot. (edit)

Photo by W Eugene Smith of Japanese mother bathing her brain damaged daughter. Victim of mercury polluted rivers. The sensitivity of the photographer and respect he has for the devoted mother can be felt. He was also expressing his disgust with the big industrialists whose factories polluted the water. Terrific composition.

Sebastiao Salgado photo of famine victims in Ethiopia. Also sends a social message. Great composition.

Status
Not open for further replies.