Christmas @ Orchard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkster

Taken these shots last Sat.. Pls help me improve.. :sweatsm:

fa4b6652.jpg

fa4b6508.jpg

Most of the pictures have no focus (subjects). Try isolating subjects of interest, may give more life to the pictures. The star is a good effort (though a tad too centralised and too much useless space around it, making it rather plain).

Keep on shooting!

Hi,

Use a longer exposure time and a smaller aperture. The light trails from passing vehicles will add the "X-factor" to the pictures.

Also, the buildings will be brighter, creating a better atmosphere.

Cheers,

Linkster said:

these pictures have the star as the subject? put it off center, and spot focus. blown out subjects almost never work.

also, you nead to have a subject in each photo, something that adds a "oomph" to it.

rays.jpg

no subject matter, interesting, but no oomph

takeo.jpg

with the one simple subject, draws the eye.

eh..actually don't know what you are/want to shoot

darkness said:
Most of the pictures have no focus (subjects). Try isolating subjects of interest, may give more life to the pictures. The star is a good effort (though a tad too centralised and too much useless space around it, making it rather plain).

Keep on shooting!

ya.. i think the main problem for me would be composition.. most of the time i'm at a loss.. :cry:

Linkster said:
ya.. i think the main problem for me would be composition.. most of the time i'm at a loss.. :cry:

Not entirely your fault... IMHO, Christmas here (Orchard for eg) is simply boring to capture.

linkster,

well i guess all you need to do is to keep on shooting photos and also do look at other's photos as well(alot alot).

can go library pick up books or take a look those at the galleries in clubsnap.

then when you look at something, try to see it from another angle or picture it in your mind how it can look like.

hope this helps..
;)

kiwi2 said:
Not entirely your fault... IMHO, Christmas here (Orchard for eg) is simply boring to capture.

Well, don't know much about Christmas in other places. But I do know in Hong Kong it's more or less the same. Christmas lightings at popular shopping malls.
In Sydney, you don't really see our kind of Christmas lightings in shopping mall. In fact, I think there almost isn't any apart from the usual Christmas trees, nothing fanciful really.

The interesting bit in Sydney is when you get to the suburbs, and drive thru the residential area. You get to see some houses decorated with nice christmas lights.

Basically for X'mas, the "ang moh" way is very different from asian way (in particular, Singapore/Hong Kong)

akane

Linkster said:

agree with akane, look at more books at the library, mph, and photos here at CS. Also, remember the rule-of-thirds, it works. On the same note, however, don't forget that sometimes breaking the rules works better. ;)

Christmas@Orchard IS quite boring. Maybe look more at details. Don't restrict yourself to wide shots, try to isolate details that people might miss. Then, frame it in a way that makes people go "Hey, whazzat?"

Hope this works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.