Christmas @ ION

porbista

Nov 26, 2010
Yishun
Christmas-at-ION.jpg

Hi guys,

Total newbie here. Just started photography so be gentle hehehe. Just thought I'd ask for some inputs on how to improve and to see if I did anything right.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Exposure and composition. Since it's a common shot/location, I'm sure some of you can give me some tips on how to improve the shot.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
To better understand exposure concepts especially with different lighting conditions. Here the Christmas lights were screwing with my meter. So I used spot metering instead of evaluative and took a meter from a spot that I hoped would work on the whole scene.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Clear night. No heavy emotions. The lights just looked nice hehehe. Shot at 1/13 f8 using a typical 18-55mm kit lens. Shot handheld.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I think it's ok. Although I kind of hate the unlit tree on the right.

the lightings are captured pretty well but like as u mentioned.. the tree is really a big distraction.. maybe moving towards the left to take so that the christmas tree and ion can be captured without that big tree..

also.. the ion is cut off at the top.. I think u took this across the road? i dun really like the tilted feeling tho..

2 cents! newbie here as well.. keep shooting!

不正。。。 必先学走,再学跑。

the lightings are captured pretty well but like as u mentioned.. the tree is really a big distraction.. maybe moving towards the left to take so that the christmas tree and ion can be captured without that big tree..

also.. the ion is cut off at the top.. I think u took this across the road? i dun really like the tilted feeling tho..

2 cents! newbie here as well.. keep shooting!

Thanks for the inputs... :) Yeah composition is one of my weak points among other things hehehe that's why I chose to post a shot taken at a common and familiar location so people can give concrete advice on how to improve the shot just like you did. So thanks again. :)

不正。。。 必先学走,再学跑。

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my pic.

First off, I'm not Chinese so I wouldn't understand your comment flat out. Google Translate tell me you mean something like "Is not correct. . . We must first learn to walk before you run." :)

Could you tell me how I messed up the shot? Or at least give me some direction on how to improve?

不正。。。 必先学走,再学跑。

WTF?!:angry:

good thing theres google translate...

It is pretty obvious that the picture is slanted. U might consider using a tripod. Secondly,you are right, the tree is a major distraction. Maybe next time you can move to the right, and make sure that it is not slanted before shooting.
Don't give up! You will get your perfect shot one day ;)

Peace out

First off, I'm not Chinese so I wouldn't understand your comment flat out. Google Translate tell me you mean something like "Is not correct. . . We must first learn to walk before you run." :)

Could you tell me how I messed up the shot? Or at least give me some direction on how to improve?

Google translate always literally translates. I think kwttan might mean tt it's slanted? :dunno:

Just a 2c from a newbie. I think if u see the pole, there is some tilting. Perhaps that is what KT meant in his reply. Although i'm not quite sure what he meant by learning to walk.

What this 'WTF' means? Googles translate to 跆拳道... :bigeyes:
Anything beyond this, I don't understand because I am a civilized person.

Google translate always literally translates. I think kwttan might mean tt it's slanted? :dunno:

porbista,
I guess google translate does not always translate a Chinese sentence properly.

Basically what I mean is picture is slanted (不正 = slanted)
Since you claimed you are newbie, perhaps you should learn compose/take non-slant picture and get them right first (必先学走 = learn to walk first). Once you are ready, perhaps you can attempt something different (再学跑 = learn to run).

I myself is still learning how to walk properly. However, I believe many member/seniors in CS are still taking Land/City-scapes following basic guidelines/rules.

Last edited:
Personally I think the framing is too tight, cropping off the building above the base is not a good idea. Also, the tilt here doesn't work for me, I would have preferred the photo to be taken straight. Sharpness seems ok to me but the image can be improved during PP if the TS does a bit of Levels adjustment on the blacks and mids. Keep shooting :)

Last edited:
Personally I think the framing is too tight, cropping off the building above the base is not a good idea. Also, the tilt here doesn't work for me, I would have preferred the photo to be taken straight. Sharpness seems ok to me but the image can be improved during PP if the TS does a bit of Levels adjustment on the blacks and mids. Keep shooting :)

porbista,
I guess google translate does not always translate a Chinese sentence properly.

Basically what I mean is picture is slanted (不正 = slanted)
Since you claimed you are newbie, perhaps you should learn compose/take non-slant picture and get them right first (必先学走 = learn to walk first). Once you are ready, perhaps you can attempt something different (再学跑 = learn to run).

I myself is still learning how to walk properly. However, I believe many member/seniors in CS are still taking Land/City-scapes following basic guidelines/rules.

What this 'WTF' means? Googles translate to 跆拳道... :bigeyes:
Anything beyond this, I don't understand because I am a civilized person.

Just a 2c from a newbie. I think if u see the pole, there is some tilting. Perhaps that is what KT meant in his reply. Although i'm not quite sure what he meant by learning to walk.

Sorry let me just do this at one go...hehehe

First, thanks for the inputs guys... really appreciate it. I'm taking this slanting thing is subjective... So it's getting me confused... Cause I showed it to different photo enthusiasts(with different levels of expertise) and they have mixed feelings about it... Like one said that it's one technique to add "dynamic tension" to your shot(whatever that means LOL) so he was cool with it.... But I guess you guys are right... Having buildings tilting that way doesn't make the picture too realistic... So yeah the slanting thing I did on purpose and it seems it's a no-no... Glad to learn something...

With this translation thing... yeah i kinda figured Google Translate could have messed up that translation(wouldn't be the first time hahaha)... So everybody chill.... Misunderstandings happen a lot when a conversation is written and read on screen hehehe.... But I think it's safe to say that it should be common forum courtesy especially on a multilingual site, that when a question is being asked in English it should be answered in English as well... Although I'm new to this forum so I wouldn't know how things work around here... Just correct me if i'm wrong :)

Again thanks for all the insights plus the encouragements... :)

there dun seem to be a focal point in this picture, u need to know what u want to capture.
i feel u should keep it straight instead of slanting it, dun really make sense here.

hi TS,

if u wan to do it slant do it closer, lose the tree totally and move to the right side. show some cruves of the ion would be better. cheers

Other than what the others mentioned, I felt you could have lowered the exposure slightly since the lights look washed out

TS, just from a viewer point of view i think i was a bit uncomfortable to see the tilting. It felt like the building are falling.

Last edited:
tilt dun work for me.

for me a key rule for shooting buildings is that, buildings must look upright and straight. not slanted. no point being artsy fartsy on this cos it will never work for majority of the viewers.

Last edited: