CHOPE Vs Reserved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very simple, just remove the tissue and take the seat. There's nothing that they can do to you short of beating you up.

And the people who use tissue to chope seats are highly unlikely to be beefy tattoo gangsters who you need to fear, so basically, the chances of repercussions is negligible.

You can't really blame this people also what. Imagine walking to and fro to the hawker centre already take 20 mins. So you are left with 40 mins. Spend 15 mins queueing to get food, would you want to spend another 15 mins waiting for a seat and have 10mins to gobble up everything?

I'm quite sure this is pretty common :
You go to lunch with a few friends and 1 has to stay back to "jaga" the table while the rest go out to get food. When someone comes back then that remaining guy goes to get his food. In some instances when the last guy returns the rest have already finish their food (provided they didn't wait for him). They total time of the table spent being occupied is much more than the actual time spent for people eating.

I actually thought about this issue before. Why don't they make built in signs into seats (reserved/avail) and develop a culture where everyone goes by this simple rule? Something like what Marche does. It'll be a while before everyone goes by this standard though.

actually, i do seem to agree with your idea on deeper thought. right now, people are complaining that there are not enuf seats due to this "choping" behaviour. however, if these people break their ethics and chope seats too, i think there might not be an issue anymore, other than foreigners who can't find seats if they dunno about this choping culture. if we think about this mathematically, the time taken to find seats if everyone doesn't chope seats is the same if everyone chope seats, with the difference that one requires the hassle of taking your tray around to find vacant seats. so rather than a selfish culture, it is actually an efficient thing.

so, why not encourage everybody to have this choping behaviour? i personally thing it is ok for a food center since the time to finish the food is pretty fast. however, i definitely hate this behaviour in the library. in that premise, i would really consider it as a selfish act since they are doing it to selfishly retain their seats while they have lunch or some other things.

any comments?

note: this is not a post i am looking to be flamed for.;p dun flame me ok?:angel:
:confused:
Efficient??? It's efficient if the number of people there matching or less than the number of table. Imagine, if the number of people is 1.5x the number of table (e.g.150 people and 100 seat) , all table are "choped" by the 100 people, the rest of the 50 people just wait until other people finish then can "choped" the seat and go for order later???? Everytime a table is "choped", the seat is wasted as other people can not make use of it.

It's suppose to be people who have food on hand are allowed to sit down and eat first, finish quickly and let other people have the seat. So the seating place are not wasted during the "choping" time.

Though this may be hard to apply on a really big group of people, which unfortunately, someone in the group have to sacrify a bit :sweat: .

It's a common sight at my work place...and I observe they are mostly ladies....the worse part is they are not chio :sweat: :dunno:

Shenton Way, Golden Shoe is most commonly seen. But most of the ppl are more understanding. Move away when they see tissue on table. Most of the time, ppl had their fill, will let the the others take over.

In another word, it may seem ugly but how can you stop it? Right? Create havoc in market? True of taking tissue away, but in the end, you spend more time agruing back. lol. This is the mentality. Yes on provide more tables but how more is enough when everyone go to lunch at the same exact timing? haa..

This is just my tot, tho. Im kinda lucky I start my lunch after 130.

Oh, just saw a similar incident at lunch today.
Was having lunch at "warehouse" The Comtech. Then saw an empty 6 seats table with only a packet of tissue and hair clip on it. Wah, win lor! A tissue paper with a hair clip can "chop" 6 seats!

Try using that to book a place at some restaurants!

Think one day i bring my cam during lunch time and if i see anyone doing that, i'll take snap shot of it with my flash. Haha.... see if they malu or not!:thumbsd:

Seems that this "choping" behaviour is only tolerated in Sg? In Europe, Japan, Korea, Aust, you try that and see what happens. If you're lucky, the next customer just dumps your bag on the floor. If not, the establishment may call the bomb-squad in.

actually, i do seem to agree with your idea on deeper thought. right now, people are complaining that there are not enuf seats due to this "choping" behaviour. however, if these people break their ethics and chope seats too, i think there might not be an issue anymore, other than foreigners who can't find seats if they dunno about this choping culture. if we think about this mathematically, the time taken to find seats if everyone doesn't chope seats is the same if everyone chope seats, with the difference that one requires the hassle of taking your tray around to find vacant seats. so rather than a selfish culture, it is actually an efficient thing.

so, why not encourage everybody to have this choping behaviour? i personally thing it is ok for a food center since the time to finish the food is pretty fast. however, i definitely hate this behaviour in the library. in that premise, i would really consider it as a selfish act since they are doing it to selfishly retain their seats while they have lunch or some other things.

any comments?

note: this is not a post i am looking to be flamed for.;p dun flame me ok?:angel:

Efficiency could not be the same in my opinion. If there are more people than available seats in the food center, then choping seats reduces overall efficiency. When people chope seats, part of the available seats are left empty. If no body chope seats, all the seats will be filled with people eating. Obviously the second case is more efficient in terms of moving people in and out of the food center.

The time taken to find seats will be longer if everyone chope seats before they go buy their food. Thinkg of it this way, if half the seats are choped your chances of getting the next empty seat is also halfed because you can only get an empty seat from those which are currently occupied. Other factors come into play, such as the time it takes to get the food compared with the time it takes to consume the food. Of course, another important factor is that some customer will simply try to find another place to eat if the particular food center is too crowded.

Interesting idea for a simulation. Maybe someone can come up with our own Singaporean version of a SimCity game called SimHawkerCenter....

if really cannot find seats y not just tabao food back to office and eat... save oneself the trouble of seat hunting and unnecessary fustrations. :think:

This reserving seat during lunchtime is the most kiasu Singaporean attitude ever. I have seen for myself that people place tissue paper on seat and then go queue for food while others with food in tray looking for place to seat and standing over these "chope" seats.

The person with food on tray would have eaten and left before the person who placed the tissue paper is back to reclaim his/her seat. So much time and productivity lost, I have no sympathy for the "chope" person if an argument ever breaks out between the food in hand and the chope, I will never side with chope attitude.

:thumbsdown:

../azul123

You know, I would move that tissue thingy and sit down and eat. What kind of bloody nonsense is that?

You know, I would move that tissue thingy and sit down and eat. What kind of bloody nonsense is that?
:bsmilie:

Ehh.. some ladies got big muscles you know.. don't play play ah. :bsmilie:

To get around this, when I used to work in CBD.. my team and I go for our lunch 20mins before noon... the benefits are aplenty, no heavy elevator traffic (that is another similiar story, people takes elevator to the top floor in order to get to ground floor... only happens in Singapore :bsmilie: ), get to pick food first hand, no worries about seating and get to see people rushing in and chope seats.

Especially when alot of people all came at the same time, you can see people's eyes scanning the available seats and then rush to chope, sometimes two groups rush to chope at the same time, interesting to see who gives way and got scouting party one you know.

They use mobile phone to tell their cliques :bigeyes: where they chope already etc.. etc.. sometimes very funny sometimes very irritating.

../azul123

It's a common sight at my work place...and I observe they are mostly ladies....the worse part is they are not chio :sweat: :dunno:

Hahahaa...I noticed that too.
There was one occasion, if I remember correctly, my colleague moved a pack of tissue to another table and started eating at the table, the unchio woman came back to the tissue and made a big hoo ha over it. Stood beside him to try and claim back her seat and call her kakis over from the next table.
Wahhh..damn embarassing! So he act cool pretend nothing happening and ignore the woman's rambling and non-stop complaining and finish his food fast and whizz off - that must have been the fastest speed I seen a man throttle down an entire bowl of noodle!

../azul123

When they see me sitting there, they will just move away - Those who haven't met me before will think that I do weights regularly - NOT :bsmilie:

Then I'll invite them to try to get into a physical tussle with me in a public place.

Anyway, I don't think that we should "get around" such inconsiderate behaviour - we should get such inconsiderate behaviour to get around us.

To get around this, when I used to work in CBD.. my team and I go for our lunch 20mins before noon... the benefits are aplenty, no heavy elevator traffic (that is another similiar story, people takes elevator to the top floor in order to get to ground floor... only happens in Singapore :bsmilie: ), get to pick food first hand, no worries about seating and get to see people rushing in and chope seats.

Especially when alot of people all came at the same time, you can see people's eyes scanning the available seats and then rush to chope, sometimes two groups rush to chope at the same time, interesting to see who gives way and got scouting party one you know.

They use mobile phone to tell their cliques :bigeyes: where they chope already etc.. etc.. sometimes very funny sometimes very irritating.

../azul123

I'll invite her to call the police, or maybe I'll offer to call the police for her.

There was one occasion, if I remember correctly, my colleague moved a pack of tissue to another table and started eating at the table, the unchio woman came back to the tissue and made a big hoo ha over it. Stood beside him to try and claim back her seat and call her kakis over from the next table.
Wahhh..damn embarassing! So he act cool pretend nothing happening and ignore the woman's rambling and non-stop complaining and finish his food fast and whizz off - that must have been the fastest speed I seen a man throttle down an entire bowl of noodle!

Probably chio ladies belongst to those shy shy type....that is why they are chio......as for those garang one.....that's why we labled them as "Ugly Singaporean" or "Kiasu Singaporean" :lovegrin:

Had my experience having lunch at the Golden Shoe area last time. I think its alright if you are eating in a group of 4 - 5. Given the fact that we only have about 40 mins sometimes to have lunch together, its tough to have a good meal with your colleagues when 1 person remains behind to "jaga" the seats.

its not aunty's muscle that's intimidating, try it and see her CRY!!! :nono:

actually I have no issue with this choping business. for me, either you join them, or go in a group and leave a jaga, or tapao, or go early, or go later. look at it, if they didn't chope, what are the chances they will find a place when they are back with their food?

i went for lunch one day with a fren at a food court and saw a table being "choped" by a packet of tissue. to my fren's horror i threw the tissue away and sat down at the table with my food. when the lady came back with her food she wanted to know why i was sitting at "her" table. i replied it's not her table, so after trying to argue for a while she LL went away to look for another table.

choping by tissue???!!!!! can u imagine this kind of nonsense? try queuing up for a hdb flat with a packet of tissue. or what about queing up for singapore idol auditions with a packet of tissue. just come the night b4, place the packet of tissue first in line, go back and have a nice sleep, then come back the next day to reclaim ur place in the queue. :sticktong

Status
Not open for further replies.