choosing of camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggitydang

Apr 30, 2006
i am currently using digital(proconsumer therefore understand aperture shutter exposure and etc.) but thinking of doing film photography..
which camera would you guys recommend?
for hobby purposes/street photography/black&white..
hope i can clarify my doubts here ;)

diggitydang said:
i am currently using digital(proconsumer therefore understand aperture shutter exposure and etc.) but thinking of doing film photography..
which camera would you guys recommend?
for hobby purposes/street photography/black&white..
hope i can clarify my doubts here ;)

LOMO!

Swatch said:

isn't lomo limited? interms of aperture, shutter, lenses and etc..
i'm looking more for film slr's..

Do you have any lens systems? Or any kind of experience handling any SLRs from the major brands?

One tip of film cameras is to get cheap camera bodies, ex lens.

PointBlue said:
Do you have any lens systems? Or any kind of experience handling any SLRs from the major brands?

One tip of film cameras is to get cheap camera bodies, ex lens.

nope no lens system nor any experience with handling of slrs but nikon seems rather interesting :)

diggitydang said:
nope no lens system nor any experience with handling of slrs but nikon seems rather interesting :)
Nikon FM2n body is a good choice. it is all mechanical and u can buy some of those AF lense which will give u a good grounding. In future if DSLR comes in, your AF lenses can still be used in the DSLR. Other mechanical bodies like the FM3A is also good but might be too overkill. It is all up to your wallet.

Take care and enjoy. I started with nikon FM2N and had since got two FM2N. I am still taking film.

Manfred Ng said:
Nikon FM2n body is a good choice. it is all mechanical and u can buy some of those AF lense which will give u a good grounding. In future if DSLR comes in, your AF lenses can still be used in the DSLR. Other mechanical bodies like the FM3A is also good but might be too overkill. It is all up to your wallet.

Take care and enjoy. I started with nikon FM2N and had since got two FM2N. I am still taking film.

hmm...ever thought of that, what you said just made me more assure of what i'm working towards..thanks :)
but is the FM2N body still available in the market? as in new set..
cos i find film slr cameras much more difficult to assure it's in working condition compared to dslr when looking at 2nd hand sets..
how about the the FM10?

if you are starting out, you might want to consider something with metering ability as opposed to the truly manual SLRs where u ahve to figure it out for yoruself. nikon or any of the canon range SLR range in the last 10 years should fit the bill.

check B&S, theres always a few SLRs for sale.

diggitydang said:
isn't lomo limited? interms of aperture, shutter, lenses and etc..
i'm looking more for film slr's..
Sorry,too excited about lomo cams..:sweatsm: ... Ya,just like jdredd said, check out Buy and Sell Forum,you should find what you want there...

jdredd said:
if you are starting out, you might want to consider something with metering ability as opposed to the truly manual SLRs where u ahve to figure it out for yoruself. nikon or any of the canon range SLR range in the last 10 years should fit the bill.

check B&S, theres always a few SLRs for sale.

hmm..since i have never used an slr before..
would like to ask..if the metering done manually, will it be shown thru the viewfinder?

thanks for the advice :)

Swatch said:
Sorry,too excited about lomo cams..:sweatsm: ... Ya,just like jdredd said, check out Buy and Sell Forum,you should find what you want there...

haha it's ok..you own a lomo?
i find the holga real interesting but it's kinda at a fixed aperture(not taking the ability of holga hacking in consideration)

diggitydang said:
hmm...ever thought of that, what you said just made me more assure of what i'm working towards..thanks :)
but is the FM2N body still available in the market? as in new set..
cos i find film slr cameras much more difficult to assure it's in working condition compared to dslr when looking at 2nd hand sets..
how about the the FM10?
I will not recommend FM10 cos of the built. Most of the parts are made of plastics so it will not last very long. FM2N is out of production, you might still be able to get a second hand set easily by posting for it here in clubsnap or trying out TCW.

There is a in built meter in the camera, make sure yours is working well. If your present digital camera gives metering reading then try comparing this with the one u want to buy to confirm.

As for working condition wise, i think u should have no problem cleaning or reparing a fm2n camera in any shop here as parts are easily available by most of the repair shop.

Don't worry, mechanical cameras work like tank. One will last u for ages. i am still using some very old mechanical cameras that was built in the 60s. So u can rest well with them. FM2N is one of the best choice.

Take care and enjoy. Welcome to the mechanical world.

Manfred Ng said:
I will not recommend FM10 cos of the built. Most of the parts are made of plastics so it will not last very long. FM2N is out of production, you might still be able to get a second hand set easily by posting for it here in clubsnap or trying out TCW.

There is a in built meter in the camera, make sure yours is working well. If your present digital camera gives metering reading then try comparing this with the one u want to buy to confirm.

As for working condition wise, i think u should have no problem cleaning or reparing a fm2n camera in any shop here as parts are easily available by most of the repair shop.

Don't worry, mechanical cameras work like tank. One will last u for ages. i am still using some very old mechanical cameras that was built in the 60s. So u can rest well with them. FM2N is one of the best choice.

Take care and enjoy. Welcome to the mechanical world.

hmm..how do i go about checking the meter? will the effect of metering be shown thru my view finder or something? i'm still not really sure with the meter in slr cameras..

diggitydang said:
hmm..since i have never used an slr before..
would like to ask..if the metering done manually, will it be shown thru the viewfinder?

thanks for the advice :)

if you are talking about fully manual metering. it means camera doesnt have it, so you wont see any indication in the viewfinder..

theres no harm in getting such a camera, but if you are new to photography, it will probably mean a lot of wasted film before you start nailing exposure.

the mechanical ones like what some have suggested here are a good place to start, and they will last forever.

however, the only reason why i would suggest you get something of a more recent vintage.. (i cant speak for nikon cos im a canon person) is for example, if you get a EF mount canon SLR. like a canon 500N, or a 33,
is that later on, if you switch to digital, you can still use whatever lenses you have collected for the film camera for your DSLR.

diggitydang said:
hmm..how do i go about checking the meter? will the effect of metering be shown thru my view finder or something? i'm still not really sure with the meter in slr cameras..
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm2n/fm2manual/index.htm

Check out the above link for nikon FM2N. This is a very good website to start for Nikon. U find everything u want here. including metering and how to use a nikon FM2n Camera. metering can be seen through the view finder and this one is very easy to use. only have three indicator. Read on.

I am a nikon user but Canon has its merit too. Pick your choice. Mechanical Camera like Nikon FM2N has very little circuitry, so chances of spoiling is rather low. U can run this without any battery once u get use to the metering with your eye. Some of the other cameras have to use battery which means if weather gets very very cold, u will not be able to function the camera at all. Nikon FM2N can work for most weather cos it can work even when the weather gets too cold, only down side is no metering. Cold here means minus 15 where the battery might die off, if the battery don't die then everything will be as usual.

jdredd said:
if you are talking about fully manual metering. it means camera doesnt have it, so you wont see any indication in the viewfinder..

theres no harm in getting such a camera, but if you are new to photography, it will probably mean a lot of wasted film before you start nailing exposure.

the mechanical ones like what some have suggested here are a good place to start, and they will last forever.

however, the only reason why i would suggest you get something of a more recent vintage.. (i cant speak for nikon cos im a canon person) is for example, if you get a EF mount canon SLR. like a canon 500N, or a 33,
is that later on, if you switch to digital, you can still use whatever lenses you have collected for the film camera for your DSLR.

so sorry about the metering part, i phrased it wrongly..
what i meant was if the camera allows metering will the effect be able to be seen through the viewfinder..it can be seen right?

hmm..i think i get what you meant on your suggestion and yea i agree cos it saves some cost too..

Manfred Ng said:
http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm2n/fm2manual/index.htm

Check out the above link for nikon FM2N. This is a very good website to start for Nikon. U find everything u want here. including metering and how to use a nikon FM2n Camera. metering can be seen through the view finder and this one is very easy to use. only have three indicator. Read on.

I am a nikon user but Canon has its merit too. Pick your choice. Mechanical Camera like Nikon FM2N has very little circuitry, so chances of spoiling is rather low. U can run this without any battery once u get use to the metering with your eye. Some of the other cameras have to use battery which means if weather gets very very cold, u will not be able to function the camera at all. Nikon FM2N can work for most weather cos it can work even when the weather gets too cold, only down side is no metering. Cold here means minus 15 where the battery might die off, if the battery don't die then everything will be as usual.

thanks for the link..i'm sure it will be helpful :)
hmmm..point noted..shall take that into consideration..

what are the lenses that can be used for FM2N and later if lets say i want to mount it on a nikon dslr too ah? cos i seem to be rather confused with the AI and from certain serial no.s that cant be used..

Hi there,
think twice before getting any cam for yourself and also what is your bugdet and the model, name. Check out the retail shops how much there are selling.Compare the price with the same model and name of the cam.

Buy what you can afford. If you already have lens buy the same system.

Status
Not open for further replies.