Choosing lens... Need HELP !

redbrent26

Mar 8, 2010
Hi, I'm deciding to buy 2 lens + flash light
My camera is Nikon D3000

Hope to know any good service + best price retail ? introduce pls :)

my choose for lens + flash :

1) 18-200mm (come with AF), Sigma or Tamron, which is better ? someone can roughly tell me the price ?

2) 35mm F1.8 (S$340) or 50mm F1.8 (S$800++) , both come with AF, the price different almost HALF ! do you think 35mm is more then enough ?

3) I guess I decided for the flash, SB600 :)

Thx in advance ;)

My camera is Nikon D3000

1) 18-200mm (come with AF), Sigma or Tamron, which is better ? someone can roughly tell me the price ?
Sigma or Tamron? Both has its pros & cons.
Tamron may be sharper but AF seems to be slower than Sigma.
Why not top up like $300 to get AF-S Nikkor 18-200mm? u get a slightly better aperture on the long end.

2) 35mm F1.8 (S$340) or 50mm F1.8 (S$800++) , both come with AF, the price different almost HALF ! do you think 35mm is more then enough ?
Both are Good but what are your applications, only you urself can answer this.
Some feel they need 50mm aome thinks they need a 35mm.

SB600 is good enough unless you foresee you would outgrow it pretty soon.

Thx in advance ;)

hope this helps. enjoy snapping!

1) so now i know Tamron 18-200mm get a shaper image ad Sigma 18-200mm get a faster AF, but Nikkor 18-200mm only around $300 more expensive ? I tot more then $500...

2) can anyone show me what is the different of the image, taking by 35mm F1.8 & 50mm F1.8 ? and what they means with 35mm ? 50mm ? sry, I'm new and still learning to understand those lens...

THX ! brownie01 !:D

My camera is Nikon D3000

Thx in advance ;)

What kind of 50mm f/1.8 costs S$800++?
The 50mm f/1.8D shouldn't even cost you $200
Yes, this one comes with AF, but it WOULDN'T AF on your D3000.
I believe what you meant as the $800++ lens is the 50mm f/1.4G which is really only $700++

And seriously, no-one can tell you which lens is better when their focal lengths and purposes are different. Besides, we don't even know what you want to shoot.

As for the prices, you can refer to here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=124

sry, my mistake, I guess you're right...
should be 50mm f/1.4G...

Thx very much =)

can anyone hv any recommented retail for lens ?

sry, my mistake, I guess you're right...
should be 50mm f/1.4G...

Thx very much =)

can anyone hv any recommented retail for lens ?

Didn't you read the post above yours? We have a priceguides section, he gave you a link to it. Put in some effort to look around instead of expecting to be spoonfed, ok?

Usually best price does not come with best service, and best service does not come with best price.

Thing is, what do you mean by best service?

Do you want people to call you "bro" the minute you walk in? Do you want the sales staff to let you try all the lenses for unlimited amount of time? Then, your best bet is John 3:16. But do note that people try try try, then the product is sold to someone. So if you buy something, maybe someone try try try before?

Do you want ok price so anyone walking in will get same quote? Do you want to look see look see in a store without anyone bothering you until you have a question? do you want staff who know their stuff and is honest to you if they know somewhere else sells it cheaper? Then Orient Photo and SLR Revolution is your best bet.

Do you want sales guys to run around for you? Do you want to test many copies of the lens you want to buy? Do you want a huge variety of products where you can look and try? Do you want to buy from someone who holds huge inventory? Your best bet is Cathay Photo or Alan Photo.

Do you want good pricing, and personable service from the a lady boss herself? Then your best bet is MS Color at S11 in AMK

I have to warn you though, that personal experiences may vary. Your experience in a store may vary greatly from another's experience. And pricing will also vary depending on how well you know the staff/boss, who you actually talk to in the store, the demand and supply for a certain product. So do your homework. Look at the price guide someone already posted to you. Get to know the prices. Then, call and email for quotes from the shops listed. Go to the one you fancy the most.

Nothing is perfect in this world, and no retail store is perfect.

Good luck on your purchase. And remember to bring your own camera body in to test the lens. Some lens may work very very well on a certain camera and may totally suck on yours.

Last edited:
Didn't you read the post above yours? We have a priceguides section, he gave you a link to it. Put in some effort to look around instead of expecting to be spoonfed, ok?

oops... my bad...

I'll browse around detailly...

Thx so much for your time !

Usually best price does not come with best service, and best service does not come with best price.

Thing is, what do you mean by best service?

Do you want people to call you "bro" the minute you walk in? Do you want the sales staff to let you try all the lenses for unlimited amount of time? Then, your best bet is John 3:16. But do note that people try try try, then the product is sold to someone. So if you buy something, maybe someone try try try before?

Do you want ok price so anyone walking in will get same quote? Do you want to look see look see in a store without anyone bothering you until you have a question? do you want staff who know their stuff and is honest to you if they know somewhere else sells it cheaper? Then Orient Photo and SLR Revolution is your best bet.

Do you want sales guys to run around for you? Do you want to test many copies of the lens you want to buy? Do you want a huge variety of products where you can look and try? Do you want to buy from someone who holds huge inventory? Your best bet is Cathay Photo or Alan Photo.

Do you want good pricing, and personable service from the a lady boss herself? Then your best bet is MS Color at S11 in AMK

I have to warn you though, that personal experiences may vary. Your experience in a store may vary greatly from another's experience. And pricing will also vary depending on how well you know the staff/boss, who you actually talk to in the store, the demand and supply for a certain product. So do your homework. Look at the price guide someone already posted to you. Get to know the prices. Then, call and email for quotes from the shops listed. Go to the one you fancy the most.

Nothing is perfect in this world, and no retail store is perfect.

Good luck on your purchase. And remember to bring your own camera body in to test the lens. Some lens may work very very well on a certain camera and may totally suck on yours.

ok... get what you means :)
thx for your time !
love this for forum, cos you guys are pro and experience !

ok... get what you means :)
thx for your time !
love this for forum, cos you guys are pro and experience !

It's cool. We are here to share. But we hate to repeat ourselves over and over again. Thanks for your understanding.

It's cool. We are here to share. But we hate to repeat ourselves over and over again. Thanks for your understanding.

no problem ! I understand =)

one more thing...
MS Color at S11 in AMK is near the Mcdonald ? or near the Maybank ? you familiar that area ?
i think there is 2 S11 at the AMK central...

how close were you to saying 'go search for it' ;p hahah

no problem ! I understand =)

one more thing...
MS Color at S11 in AMK is near the Mcdonald ? or near the Maybank ? you familiar that area ?
i think there is 2 S11 at the AMK central...

Not the one near the Macs, the other one near Jubilee. The one at S11 near Jubilee is their main store, the one near Macs (in AMK Hub) is their branch. Not sure why they have 2 stores so close to each other but...yup.

Not the one near the Macs, the other one near Jubilee. The one at S11 near Jubilee is their main store, the one near Macs (in AMK Hub) is their branch. Not sure why they have 2 stores so close to each other but...yup.

OOO... get it !
I know which one you're talking about...

THX ! :)