Choosing filter size

redwine

Jan 20, 2008
Hi,

I'm trying to standardize my filter size by purchasing only the biggest among the most common size used.
Don't have much experience on UWA lense except i may be getting one in the near future.
My biggest lens currently is 72mm.

I'm deciding on either 77 or 82mm,
but i understand certain filter such as ND400 is not easily available in 82mm.
Certain UWA lens also do not accept front filter.

I believe many have went thru this situation,
appreciate any kind advice.
I'm more of a 3rd party lens for Nikon mount.

Rgds

to be frank I had stop getting screw-in filters except UVs. I had B+W Xs-pro UV on all my lenses but I use Cokin P-series filters for GNDs and NDs.

Thinking of upgrading to LEE system soon. You just need to buy the correct adapter ring and you're all set; still much cheaper than getting screw-in filters of different sizes.

depends on what sort of filter you are talking about.

for more expensive ones, bigger, better, just use stepup adaptor with little problems. cheaper than buying individual ones for every lens.

for things you plan to keep on permanently, just use individual filters lor, like uv.

yrh0413 is right that slot-in filters are a lot more convenient, to change all you need is additional ring.. the problem is that with uwa you might experience light leaks from the side. though with more reputable/expensive brands they probably have factored that in already.

77mm is the largest common size, 82mm and above are pretty rare and their filters cost alot more.

I think you won't go wrong with a set of 77mm CPL/ND/etc filters or the Cokin P system.

Hi Guys...Thanks,

Yep, for UV, i have dedicate size.
But i'm thinking to get ND400, GND and maybe IR.

Just want to make sure it will fit the next UWA lens i buy.
Most likely a Sigma :bsmilie:
Cos i have 2 and if i change body and need to do AF Calibration,
its going to be much easier :sweatsm:

One thing have to agree is that GND is definitely more flexi with the adapter system.

Still trying to figure out how the rear gelatin filter works.

Rgds

77mm is the largest common size, 82mm and above are pretty rare and their filters cost alot more.

I think you won't go wrong with a set of 77mm CPL/ND/etc filters or the Cokin P system.

Thanks Sabee,
Looks like i'm slanting towards 77mm,
Even the filter wrench i have go up to 77mm only. :bsmilie:

well. some filters u bo bian have to get the screw on ones. but for the rest like ur coloured filters gnd nd etc etc, get cokin-p system, or tianya to test out. personally i find it more convienent to use tat 2 systems cause i can just get adaptor rings and its all fine.

btw those 2 systems have cpl too:D

Hi,

I'm trying to standardize my filter size by purchasing only the biggest among the most common size used.
Don't have much experience on UWA lense except i may be getting one in the near future.
My biggest lens currently is 72mm.

I'm deciding on either 77 or 82mm,
but i understand certain filter such as ND400 is not easily available in 82mm.
Certain UWA lens also do not accept front filter.

I believe many have went thru this situation,
appreciate any kind advice.
I'm more of a 3rd party lens for Nikon mount.

Rgds

Normally 77mm ones will suffice and get a set of step up rings..
Get a UWA which can take on 77 filter thread or content with a UWA with front element that protrudes and forget abt filters like ND 400 or B+W 110
Simply put, if you want creative filters like the above mentioned.

Assuming u on DX, get Tokina 11-16 or Sigma 10-20 and forget abt ones like Sigma 12-24
(it won't be true wides anywhere since only the center portion are used)

Assuming u on FX, get the Tammy 17-35 f2.8-4 and forget abt ones like Sigma 12-24

HTH :)

I think 77mm is sufficient. 82mm will pop up from time to time, like Sigma's 10-20mm f/3.5. But for most lenses, 77mm should be fine.