Choosing Compact Film Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

revenant

Apr 8, 2002
collinyeo.blogspot.com
hmm.....I'm getting one compact film camera for family shots overseas. My previous Nikon cam died on me.

But I don't know much about compact film camera. Any idea what are some of the things to look out for?

Any decent cam below $200?

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Olympus mju (based on the positive feedbacks that I've heard so far)! ;)

yeah, heard some goodthings about it too.

btw, how much for a decent one?

Have one mjuII Zoom 80 which I bought in Feb 02 for my wife at $295. Selling off at $200, interested?

The mju-II is great!!!! :gbounce:

Max aperture is 2.8, fixed focal length 35mm. They sell it for abt 180 at CP, and it comes with a special casing and travel accessories and stuff. The other mju-II variants look great as well, and some have promos (like a free voice recorder and such)

Buy! Buy! Buy! :p

Originally posted by Que Lynn
The mju-II is great!!!! :gbounce:

Max aperture is 2.8, fixed focal length 35mm. They sell it for abt 180 at CP, and it comes with a special casing and travel accessories and stuff. The other mju-II variants look great as well, and some have promos (like a free voice recorder and such)

Buy! Buy! Buy! :p

No Zoom ah

Originally posted by revenant

No Zoom ah

ya..no zoom
but that's the beauty of it and the reason that its sharp..
I've one for many years now...replace my Yashica T4 which I lost in cant remember which US airport
pics are sharp, contrasty
few of my friends hv same and all positive comments on this little baby...

Best deal for $200...

I would prefer some zooming :D
If I were to choose between the ability to zoom and the ability to shoot without flash, I will choose the latter.

Originally posted by nhyone
If I were to choose between the ability to zoom and the ability to shoot without flash, I will choose the latter.

Why without flash? In some circumstances, flash is quite essential too. eg. Shooting people in the night.

But the sad thing is most camera comes with buiilt-in flash :D

you rather most cameras to not come with built-in flash meh? :D

wait for the Yashica T4 zoom. I heard street price is going to be around RM600~700. Carl Zeiss lens man... :thumbsup: ;)

Originally posted by Kho King
wait for the Yashica T4 zoom. I heard street price is going to be around RM600~700. Carl Zeiss lens man... :thumbsup: ;)

Forgot to mentioned, this cam will only be used for about 5 times 1 year :)
No need such a good one.

Anyway, it's over my budget already.

ah...if u are very firm with your budget, the consider the Samsung Vega 77. Using Schneider lens, I remember is less than RM500.

ah...if u are very firm with your budget, the consider the Samsung Vega 77. Using Schneider lens, I remember is less than RM500.

Will consider, thanx :)

btw, what's good about the Carl Zeiss lens and Schneider lens? Both from German right?

btw, what's good about the Carl Zeiss lens and Schneider lens? Both from German right?

Yup, both are German lenses. I have no personal experience of German lenses, so no comment. I have not hear people say German lenses (Schneider, CZ, Rollei, Leica) lenses are bad.

Yup, both are German lenses. I have no personal experience of German lenses, so no comment. I have not hear people say German lenses (Schneider, CZ, Rollei, Leica) lenses are bad.

ok thanx :)

Why without flash? In some circumstances, flash is quite essential too. eg. Shooting people in the night.]
Flash makes the scene look totally different. Surely you want to do better than red eyes, hotspots and a totally black background?

And you may not want to draw attention to yourself. Flash is the easiest way to get attention from a mile away.

Yes, but you can choose not to use it. Typical P&S zooms are 35-xxx, and apertures from f/4.5 to f/9 or even smaller! Even at the wide end, f/4.5 is very slow compared to a decent f/2.8. And who can resist zooming in "just a little"? It doesn't take much imagination to see that you lose even more light this way.

A slow lens restricts many photo opportunities. Low light is a good time to get interesting lighting.

Another thing is the number of elements. Zoom lenses typically have many elements. 8 to 9 is not surprising. While sharpness can be maintained, contrast is definitely less than one with just 4 elements: the more glasses, the less contrast and more flare. It's basic lens theory. (with some assumptions made, of course)

Not to mention the weight.. ;)

In closing, if you are just going to use it a few times a year, don't bother. Just get a disposable camera!

Status
Not open for further replies.