Choosing between ZD 50mm & ZD 11-22mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolpix7900

Jun 29, 2005
Hillview
Hi guys,

I'm in a dilemma here. :dunno: My wife wants to buy me a lens and I'm torn between the ZD 50mm macro and the ZD11-22mm. I would love to have both but can only chose one. I know both are of different usage and I should chose based on which one I will be using more often. I'm quite new to photography and would want to do more with my E330 (already have kit lens and 40-150mm). I would like to hear all your opinions, before I make the decision.:sweat:

Thanks! :)

tao said:
...Anyway, for me, if I can only have one of the two lenses, I will get the 11-22mm as it is more versatile and ultra wide angle really open up your world. Besides, you already have the 40-150mm which can cover 50mm for you for the time being. Unless if you are shooting macro and portraits all day long, get the 50mm.
I agree with Tao. 11-22 has wider applications. I have a 50mm which I rarely use.

Thanks hahaha :bsmilie: you're right though.
Actually, technically between the 2 lenses, is there a "more" difficult lens to use?

tao said:
Your wife buying for you? Simple, get the 11-22mm... it is the more expensive of the two. :bsmilie:

Anyway, for me, if I can only have one of the two lenses, I will get the 11-22mm as it is more versatile and ultra wide angle really open up your world. Besides, you already have the 40-150mm which can cover 50mm for you for the time being. Unless if you are shooting macro and portraits all day long, get the 50mm.

agree here too! u will use 11-22mm more often but dat 50mm iz simply amazing! 11-22m more ex! or i hav a better suggestion, ask her nicely 2 buy both lens, persuade her 2 pay by installment so doesnt burn her pocket. kekeke:bsmilie:

siaolang22 said:
agree here too! u will use 11-22mm more often but dat 50mm iz simply amazing! 11-22m more ex! or i hav a better suggestion, ask her nicely 2 buy both lens, persuade her 2 pay by installment so doesnt burn her pocket. kekeke:bsmilie:
you think so too... siaolang22? that's a good one ;) ... but I better not try it and risk getting no lens in the end... hahahaha :bsmilie:

I have both lens but would have got the 11-22mm first as it is good for general shooting

Why not sell 40-150 and top up for 50-200. You won't regret.

siaolang22 said:

I'm all for it too. I've been using 11-22mm most of the time and swap with 50-200mm lens if I needed to pull the subject near. For close up, macro I have the 35mm. In general these three lenses should suffice.

Yes, i will go for the 11-22mm. (Actually, i have the 50mm, but i sold it to fund for the 11-22mm).
Both lens are very capable. Unless you are really into macro shoots, i believe you will find the 11-22mm more usefull. Anyway, for macro, i still feel that the 50mm isnt long enough to reach. somewhere between 75mm to 100mm would be better. You might want to wait for the sigma 105mm macro.

Raptor1 said:
Yes, i will go for the 11-22mm. (Actually, i have the 50mm, but i sold it to fund for the 11-22mm).
Both lens are very capable. Unless you are really into macro shoots, i believe you will find the 11-22mm more usefull. Anyway, for macro, i still feel that the 50mm isnt long enough to reach. somewhere between 75mm to 100mm would be better. You might want to wait for the sigma 105mm macro.
Some very good tips there. 50mm still not close enough? I thought its kinda the best already. I haven't get enough of the 40-150mm leh... so I'll stick with it for a while first although I would love to have the 50-200mm.

Another thing to check... Where would you guys go take nature at its best in Singapore?

Get the 11-22mm as well as the ext 25 which works well with your 40-150 for close up.

cheers

Yes, an EX25 would be a very good compliment to the 40-150mm, i believe the 11-22mm works well with it too. imagine close up with perspective distortion with the 11-22mm.. it would look very interesting!

i have seen both lenses in action... both super lenses.

however, i find that the range of 11-22 not very wide (in terms of range, effectively 22-44), so unless you need the 11mm (and do not want to fork out for the 7-14), then this is the lense for you - i would personally get the 14-54 for the quality and versatility , or wait for the 14-50 (upgrading from the kit lense)

as for the 50mm, not really that great for macro, but at f2 and effective 100mm, it makes an excellent portrait lense!! if you have kids, this is a must have lense!!

ermmm how about that 35mm macro and that 14mm~54mm?

so basically 50mm macro is more suitable for potrait and macro while 11mm~22mm for normal shotting and more versatile?

i got that 40mm~150mm lens. not sure its good for macro, as focus distance is kinda far (1.5m) and i got difficulty stabilizing it with my hand.

Cactus jACK said:
i have seen both lenses in action... both super lenses.

however, i find that the range of 11-22 not very wide (in terms of range, effectively 22-44), so unless you need the 11mm (and do not want to fork out for the 7-14), then this is the lense for you - i would personally get the 14-54 for the quality and versatility , or wait for the 14-50 (upgrading from the kit lense)

as for the 50mm, not really that great for macro, but at f2 and effective 100mm, it makes an excellent portrait lense!! if you have kids, this is a must have lense!!
Wah now the 14-54mm come into the picture liao... very hard to decide man... 7-14mm is way off my budget for now. Will be able to have good shots of macro with Ex 25 + 40-150mm? will it be worth getting the 11-22mm when I have the 14-45mm with just that difference of 3mm? Sorry if my theory analysis above is wrong, I still very new lah, that's why need all the experts' advise. Thanks for the patience... :embrass:

sorry... sorry... sorry!!! ;)

optical quality aside, your 3mm difference (11mm vs 14mm) translates to a difference in the FOV of roughly 90 vs 75 degrees (effective 22mm vs 28mm - if my estimations are not wrong) - that can be quite significant if you need the super-wide angle.

Have to ask yourself which usage is most important and frequent to you?
Architecture, landscape, interior etc -> 11-22mm
Portrait, low light, macro -> 50mm
Walkaround best general purpose len including simple macro & low light -> 14-54mm

You already have the 14-45 and 40-150, which kind of photo you take most offen or
what kind of photo you long to take but somewhat didn't turn out right due to short fall
of equipment?

You may want to go down to the shop and try or maybe meet up with some kind oly soul to let you try them out.

You are very lucky guy that wife buy lens for you :)
Another simple logic is just buy the most expensive one of them all. And later you come up with your own money
to buy the other lens! :)

ch5800 said:
Have to ask yourself which usage is most important and frequent to you?
Architecture, landscape, interior etc -> 11-22mm
Portrait, low light, macro -> 50mm
Walkaround best general purpose len including simple macro & low light -> 14-54mm

You already have the 14-45 and 40-150, which kind of photo you take most offen or
what kind of photo you long to take but somewhat didn't turn out right due to short fall
of equipment?

You may want to go down to the shop and try or maybe meet up with some kind oly soul to let you try them out.

You are very lucky guy that wife buy lens for you :)
Another simple logic is just buy the most expensive one of them all. And later you come up with your own money
to buy the other lens! :)

I got better idea. Get your wife to buy the $3600+ lens. Think its the 150mm F2 one. The sell it and with the money, buy both lenses. :bsmilie: Evil. But that is provided you can sell if after you buy. :bigeyes:

selamatlzh said:
Are those pics in your review taken with only the EX25 with your lenses? It's great.

Her $ is my $, my $ is her $ also... so must make wise choice... hahaha...

I love to take pictures of my 1.5 yr old boy, now I use the 40-150mm on him most of the time. Apart from him, I also love to shoot the nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.