Choosing between Nikon D90 and Canon EOS 50D

prehistorik

Nov 12, 2009
Singapore West
hi guys!

I just want to ask your expert opinion from your experiences with these cameras. I'm planning to buy a new DSLR maybe by Dec this year and Im choosing between these two, Nikon D90 and Canon EOS 50D.

I have read both reviews from Ken Rockwell to Cameralabs and from other sites as well. Both were given very good reviews. Now, I just want to know your experiences from these two to help me consider which one to buy. Im looking for a camera which is worth keeping for the rest of my life to the point i wont be bothered in buying another one in the long future. If you have other recommendations other than these two, please let me know to consider too...

Im in to family photography, special occasions, portraiture and sometimes moving subjects. Im also looking with that with a fast AF and good in low light conditions plus a good grip for comfort-ability in handling it.

I've heard that the price of 50d is falling due to competition with DSLR's with video capability. So which do you think i could save more between the two?

thank you guys! hope to hear from you...

I see you sig that you already have a D5000. Wouldn't this very capable camera for :

- family photography (kit lens)
- special occasions (wedding? get a SB600)
- portraiture (get a 85 F4)
- sometimes moving subjects (kit lens).

But if you are looking for an upgrade than considering staying within the Nikon system i.e. D90, D300 or even D700. Or just get addtional lens to use with your D5000 before getting another body.

I am a <1.7 m frame person which I found that the Dxxx series are just too heavy for long period of use, like >2hrs continuous shooting.
But this just me ...

from what you say, its like you are looking for a sports oriented camera with about 8fps and lots of focusing points as well as accurate subject tracking.

Unless you are going into the rainforest, the 7D or D300s would be it.

if you want to save money and dont need video, try looking for a good condition 2nd hand 40D or budget willing a 1DMk2.

If you want:

af speed and reliability and branding (sports, etc) - Canon
soft contrast images and outstanding ISO performance and branding - nikon
vibrant colours and exclusive af CZ lenses, if on tight budget - sony alpha
natural colours, climate-proof, and further reach (4/3 sensor)- olympus

If you want:

if only it was so simple......

Then what do you expect? A picture speaks a thousand words, so unless you write an essay, i guess that's the best we can help. Instead of asking such a qns here which chances are it starts a flame war, why not go read reviews, then go to cam shop and try it out yourself. To put it generally, cams are the same. To put it vaguely, yea that's the main characteristics and selling points of each brand.

I think what u r having is good enough unless u r looking to venture into full frame, otherwise the d5000 is pretty gd piece for your needs. The D90 just makes it alittle more convenient.

Probably just add the 35mm 1.4g which is a really gd deal with addition of sb600. Rent or borrow the lens to try out. I would stay with the d5000..

...Im looking for a camera which is worth keeping for the rest of my life to the point i wont be bothered in buying another one in the long future. If you have other recommendations other than these two, please let me know to consider too...

In the digital age, there are no cameras like that. It is only possible if you will be comfortable with what you have and not keep looking elsewhere and what others have. If you can think like that, your D5000 is good enough.

Im in to family photography, special occasions, portraiture and sometimes moving subjects. Im also looking with that with a fast AF and good in low light conditions plus a good grip for comfort-ability in handling it.

Your D5000 can already do all these well, especially when matched with the right lenses. However if you want the best, and want a setup that will last you a long long time like what you said (quoted in red), look no further. Get a D3s with these lenses: 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8VR2, 85/1.4, 50/1.4G, 105/2DC. 135/2DC and a couple of SB900s.

Last edited:
when looking to buy a camera, also consider the lenses choices of the brands.

which brand has the lens that you will need or want to buy?

does the people around you also owns lenses from the same brand? in future you can ask to let them try out their lens before you make the purchase. If they are good enough to allow you to borrow their lens for a shoot, even better

If you want:

Hmmm... if it is that simple, brand wars would stop. :bsmilie:

Not going into details... but some immediate things I thought of:

How come I see CZ lenses in other mounts? See here

Eh... other brands no "climate-proof" weather sealing is it?

Sony cheapest meh? What happened to value? What about the K-x

You sure Nikon images are soft? or not contrastly? (whatever you meant by "soft contrasty")

You sure only Canon is reliable? Or more reliable than other brands? Hmm... you should google "Err99"

Only canon cameras have the AF fast enough for sports?

Olympus have natural colors? And Sony has vibrant colors? You mean other brands's cameras produce colors that are not natural or not vibrant??

I seriously cannot believe the BS (marketing or otherwise) people believe nowadays...

Last edited:
TS, as many have mentioned. You already have a D5000 which is a very capable camera. What do you find lacking compared to a D90 or EOS50D?

Invest in technique and lenses for the time being.

Gd luck.

If you want:

Just go to any of the galleries here and see for yourself the beautiful pictures presented by all the brands. There is really no clear differentiation from the end results.

hi ts

will "upgrading" to the next level of camera model improve ur photos? if yes, go ahead with any camera.

also, its ur money, what ever makes u happy lor.;)

Canon 60D.

hey TS, canikon is the BEST you can ever get.. yup it's the best brands, definitely the best camera you will ever get.. WOOW! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

P.S. not biased comment, i'm a non-canikon user :)

Yea, a friend of mine told me that the Canon 60D is coming out arnd mid-year like in between june to september.

I don't think Canon 60D would be interesting to see,
as 7D already outperforms 50D in many aspects,
what will Canon show in 60D platforms, a Video ? It's already great in 7D :bsmilie:

flip a coin. when ur more experienced, u will start to realise that 2 bodies with the same specs do the same. it doenst matter if i'm thrown a pentax or sony alpha now. dun fall into the trap of joining camps. its just advertising.

If you want:

Wonder you base on what or where you read to come out this conclusion? :think:

60D??????
Rumours la... ;)