Choosing between 2 macro lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

kross

Sep 15, 2004
earth
Anyone knows the their price(brand new)?

1. Sigma macro 105mm F2.8 EX DG
2. Canon 100mm F2.8 USM macro

And also opinion on their image quality in terms of value for $? :D
Thanks alot.

you might want to consider the tamron 90mm macro DI... heard that it is pretty good...
me also considering getting one....

Actually, for small aquatic subjects like the South American apistogramma species, you might find the 180mm macro lens more suitable.

I've used the Canon EF 100mm F2.8 USM Macro and it's a very good lens to use. In fact, I'm considering getting a spare one just in case one konks out.

Cheers,

There is a saying about macro lenses of different brands: THERE IS NO BAD MACRO LENS! Actually most macro lenses are decent enough for us to use, and optically not too much of difference, at least to our eyes. Just buy whichever you prefer (focal length, size, handle, build quality and etc) and can afford. The Canon USM will probably focus faster but you'll need to focus manually anyway when shooting macros, so it's not a big advantage. JMHO.

Good luck!

kross said:
Anyone knows the their price(brand new)?

1. Sigma macro 105mm F2.8 EX DG
2. Canon 100mm F2.8 USM macro

And also opinion on their image quality in terms of value for $? :D
Thanks alot.

i searched for a macro lens just last week and ended up buying the Tamron 180mm di for my canon 10D at $1250/- over at MScolor. Played and tested with it......works well for me. i need the long range and the macro for my work.

same price goes with the sigma 180mm too.

did try out the new sigma 150mm marco. priced at $1077 at MScolor. very sharp lens also.

you may try out the Tamron 90mm macro as well.

:)

jesser said:
i searched for a macro lens just last week and ended up buying the Tamron 180mm di for my canon 10D at $1250/- over at MScolor. Played and tested with it......works well for me. i need the long range and the macro for my work.

same price goes with the sigma 180mm too.

did try out the new sigma 150mm marco. priced at $1077 at MScolor. very sharp lens also.

you may try out the Tamron 90mm macro as well.

:)

hmmm.....sigma 150mm macro... any review on this lens out yet?
I've considered Tamron 90mm but i dun like the lens focusing....unlike canon's internal lens focusing (or whatever u call it. ;p ) As for Sigma, read that u have to "rechip" your mount?? :dunno: for 20D? can anyone verified or clarified this? :embrass:

Well, thanks for sharing! :)

kross said:
I've considered Tamron 90mm but i dun like the lens focusing....
For the Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 DI lens, you can actually set it to focus from a certain range thus effectively limiting the search to that range and it is a cool feature.

So if you only want to use this lens for macro.. set it to the range you mostly shoot in macro and the search is fast because it will not search the entire zoom range.

../azul123

I think what kross means is the fact that the Tamron's front element will extend out when focusing while the Canon's one doesn't (since it's internal focusing). The Canon 100mm also has a focal range limiter to either lock it to the full range (macro use) or 0.45m-infinity (for non-macro use). Either way, the USM is very fast and silent. :thumbsup:

but then... if you want 1:1 macro, focussing is not needed anyway.. so USM for wat?

Status
Not open for further replies.