choosing a tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

zig

Deregistered
Sep 14, 2004
woodlands baby!
hey guys i have a modest budget of about 200-300 dollars for buying a tripod.
im about 1.76m tall.
could you guys recommened me anything worth buying im thinking manfrotto

is there any affordable ball head and quicck release plates?

oh one more question, why do most serious photographers use a ball head instead of a three way?
thanks for answering

Other than 190ProB, for a cheap and good one perhaps you can consider Slik Pro 500DX. $160 with 3-way head. Then you can get something like a Manfrotto 488RC2.

zig said:
hey guys i have a modest budget of about 200-300 dollars for buying a tripod.
im about 1.76m tall.
could you guys recommened me anything worth buying im thinking manfrotto

is there any affordable ball head and quicck release plates?

oh one more question, why do most serious photographers use a ball head instead of a three way?
thanks for answering

@ 1.76m tall, you might want 055series than 190series. Me 1.72, still find 190series too short, but 055series abit tall. I am having both tripod. Use them for diff purpose.

denniskee said:
@ 1.76m tall, you might want 055series than 190series. Me 1.72, still find 190series too short, but 055series abit tall. I am having both tripod. Use them for diff purpose.

Agreed .. 055 + 486/488 .. depending on the equipment you plan to put on top of it. Just go to CP and give it a try man, look for steven or chris that will help you find a good one within your budget!

Have tried both quick release type & wing nut type of lock for the telescopic legs for tripod.

Quick release type & twist and turn type of lock for monopod.

IMO

1) Quick Release type -
Fastest to set the legs.
Can become slightly loose after a while, then the legs will crip in when heavy load is apply.

2) Wing Nut type -
Best of both world.

3) Twist & Turn type -
Too slow, regardless of type of shoot, be it event or zoo shooting animal.

You might want to consider the a/m while choosing your tripod.

Someone is selling his 055 Pro Black for $150/160 in the BS forum. Quite a good deal. Go check it out.

to lug around a 055 ?... tat's like hell man... tat 3 legged metel is super heavy to carry around... more like suitable for studio work... as for the 190ProB... didn't say it's light, but much better than the 055... to me, photography is for fun, and I would like to carry my tripod around... therefore weight is a MAJOR consideration...

but if weight is of concern, u would have to jack up 3 times ur budget to get a carbon fiber... kekekekeke :devil:

so how much will a 055 plus the head cost??....

zig said:
so how much will a 055 plus the head cost??....

Let just put it this way ..... a 055 minus the head will most probably reach the limit of your budget. But then you can get the tripod 2nd Handed which is a more logical thing to do :

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=103337&highlight=055

Sorry to interrupt in this thread, cause I also want to ask something about the head.

I got a 190D, but what head is good for it?
For general photography, used for night shots and fireworks, want to try taking those in the future.

Thanks.

RossChang said:
but if weight is of concern, u would have to jack up 3 times ur budget to get a carbon fiber... kekekekeke :devil:

If weight is a concern, then just get the Slik DX series, like 500DX or 330DX if you don't mind the height. They are similar to CF and probably stronger and definitely not as brittle. Special Titanium, Aluminum, Magnesium alloy.

Eg, Pro 500DX is the weight of the 190 but specs of the 055 (actually a bit taller even) but the $$ of the 190. :)

No problem with durability. In fact from what i know there are quite a number of birders using the 500 and 700DX. If that is not a stress test, then i don't know what is.

Shiro MS08th said:
Sorry to interrupt in this thread, cause I also want to ask something about the head.

I got a 190D, but what head is good for it?
For general photography, used for night shots and fireworks, want to try taking those in the future.

Thanks.
486RC2 ballhead.

2100 said:
If weight is a concern, then just get the Slik DX series, like 500DX or 330DX if you don't mind the height. They are similar to CF and probably stronger and definitely not as brittle. Special Titanium, Aluminum, Magnesium alloy.

Eg, Pro 500DX is the weight of the 190 but specs of the 055 (actually a bit taller even) but the $$ of the 190. :)

No problem with durability. In fact from what i know there are quite a number of birders using the 500 and 700DX. If that is not a stress test, then i don't know what is.

That's interesting... which shop have it? would like to try it out...

RossChang said:
That's interesting... which shop have it? would like to try it out...

CP at Peninsula is selling at $160 if i am not wrong. You get a 3-way head along with it. Ask for Christopher to tell you about it. :)

RossChang said:
to lug around a 055 ?... tat's like hell man... tat 3 legged metel is super heavy to carry around... more like suitable for studio work... as for the 190ProB... didn't say it's light, but much better than the 055... to me, photography is for fun, and I would like to carry my tripod around... therefore weight is a MAJOR consideration...

Hmm...I decided to hang on to my 028 / 141 because nothing else smaller/lighter is as stable...not even the 055Pro.

Now, THAT's HEEEAVIIIEE! :bsmilie:

RossChang said:

for the record, tripod for tripod, 190 Prob is 1.9kg weight, 055 Prob is 2.4kg weight. which is lighter?

how's about Benro ?
China-made brand
look and work like gitzo

280 for carbon tripod
:p

A Manfrotto 190PROB + 486RC2 ballhead should fit your budget nicely. Add a tripod bag or strap and you are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.