Choosing a flash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I have a 580 II, I know what people mean when they say the Sigma 500 is plasticky. Actually, compared to the older 430EZs of the 1990s, the Sigma is OK, but when you see the 580, you know what well built means.

One thing the Sigma has that the 580 does not is the ability to work as a slave with ANY flash (you have to set manual exposure 1/1, 1/2, 1/4/, 1/8 etc) whilst the 580 only works as a slave with other EX flashes. The Sigma also works fine as a wireless slave with the 580 as master.

Now that I have a 580 II, I know what people mean when they say the Sigma 500 is plasticky. Actually, compared to the older 430EZs of the 1990s, the Sigma is OK, but when you see the 580, you know what well built means.

One thing the Sigma has that the 580 does not is the ability to work as a slave with ANY flash (you have to set manual exposure 1/1, 1/2, 1/4/, 1/8 etc) whilst the 580 only works as a slave with other EX flashes. The Sigma also works fine as a wireless slave with the 580 as master.

Does the sigma get the ETTL information from the 580EX or just detect the flash light and fire off?

Does the sigma get the ETTL information from the 580EX or just detect the flash light and fire off?

There are 2 modes

Slave / C0 - where it detects light and fires off - used to use this with my 32 Z-1 on the camera - only good for studio / unrushed shots as you have to trial and error the Sigma setting esp if you are bouncing of a white surface.

Wireless / C1, C2 etc - where it works as a slave to the 580EX in E-TTL mode. Tested it with my 580 EX II on the cam - had both on C1 on E-TTL mode and it did not max out - tried is in different apertures too so it wasn't just chance.

There are 2 modes

Slave / C0 - where it detects light and fires off - used to use this with my 32 Z-1 on the camera - only good for studio / unrushed shots as you have to trial and error the Sigma setting esp if you are bouncing of a white surface.

Wireless / C1, C2 etc - where it works as a slave to the 580EX in E-TTL mode. Tested it with my 580 EX II on the cam - had both on C1 on E-TTL mode and it did not max out - tried is in different apertures too so it wasn't just chance.

Humm this is interesting....then why people are still getting the canon flash for slave?:think:

Status
Not open for further replies.