Choosing a Black and White color tone for a taken at night color picture.

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
381240_10150470778773166_835728165_8721636_1397035115_n.jpg

Above is default convert to black and white but the b/w conversion doesnt feel right to me. What conversion software is recommended to use and how do you know when the black and white is just nice?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Other than the subjects are a little OOF, the B&W looks fine to me. I tried silver efex from nik and it's templates library is huge. Ou should try that as a Lightroom or photoshop plugin.

Try Lightroom? Convert it into B/W then increase the black clipping and contrast by a little will make the picture look a lot better.
If it's still not up to your taste, perhaps adjust the Tone/S curve for even more contrast and the Black & White Mix to adjust the individual color in B/W.
Hope it helps.

And yes, the OOF of the subject is pretty bad...

Irvine said:
the B&W presets in lightroom r pretty good actually.

Agree

Its a test shot.

Thanks for the tips.

There are also alot of free presets for lightroom to allow you to get your effect faster :bsmilie:

I usually use camera raw or lightroom. Their preset/auto are fine to me. Manual adjustment only needed if you want a particular color to stand out or to fade into the other colors.

I use LightRoom. It allows you to adjust the output of each color (when it has color).
There is no "correct", or "just nice" setting. Adjust until see liao will songz, then can liao.