Choices for 21mm lens

I will go with the zeiss 21mm biogon f2.8 version if I want indoor shots to be taken. Plus the distortion control could be better than leica's (although I have not made any comparisons, lines stay straight and nice with the zeiss)

Thanks nex100.

The reason I did not mention about the CZ 21mm was because I am considering to fill in my lens range with CZ 2.8/25mm and CZ 1.5/50mm. I am also a diehard fan of CZ lenses from my school days using Contax RTSII. I still have CZ f4/18mm, f2.8/28mm, f1.4/50mm and f2.8/135mm in mint condition, unfortunately they are not suitable to be used on my M9. Besides, M9 has updated firmware to complement the 21mm S. Elmar which CZ lenses do not get this support from M9.

I must say the CZ 21 and CZ 25 are too close to be used together. I used a CZ 21 f2.8 and 50 f1.5 with an M9. Very nice for my use. 21mm is my sweet spot.

nex100,

Do you encounter the 'red frindges' using CZ21mm f2.8 on M9 since there is not firmware compensation from M9 over CZ lenses?

I have a CZ18mm C/Y mount for my RTSII, I did not use the lens much in the past as 18mm is too wide for my taste. I really love the 'wide' effect the 21mm brings on 35mm format. M9 is my replacement camera as I did not had enough time to 'kick start' photography after I last left it off 20 yrs ago.

hard to use 21mm on rf. no frameline and must use VF.

I find 28mm the best for rf with proper frame line to frame.

zeiss 21mm gd buy , cheap and good

No red fringing on the M9 with the Zeiss 21mm f2.8 .

nex100,

Do you encounter the 'red frindges' using CZ21mm f2.8 on M9 since there is not firmware compensation from M9 over CZ lenses?

I have a CZ18mm C/Y mount for my RTSII, I did not use the lens much in the past as 18mm is too wide for my taste. I really love the 'wide' effect the 21mm brings on 35mm format. M9 is my replacement camera as I did not had enough time to 'kick start' photography after I last left it off 20 yrs ago.

nex100 said:
No red fringing on the M9 with the Zeiss 21mm f2.8 .

Hi nex100, do you have to manually choose the lens type in the coding everytime when you mount on your Zeiss on the m9 or it's a 1 time code process ? are you able to code it once and leave it at "auto" so next time you mount the m9 will recognize the zeiss 21mm as an leica 21mm ?

Royale With Cheese said:
I think a Voigtlander or Zeiss one would do fine. Both modern & clear.

Leica's price is just nuts. You only need the VF for framing & nothing else really.

Thanks. I saw a few and decided on an voigtlander small plastic, easy too keep. The zeiss wasn't that much brighter considering it's more than twice the cost. Not sure how often I gonna use the 21mm anyway.

Thanks. I saw a few and decided on an voigtlander small plastic, easy too keep. The zeiss wasn't that much brighter considering it's more than twice the cost. Not sure how often I gonna use the 21mm anyway.

Voigtlander has the metal 21/15mm, quite nice & small compared to the plastic ones

I think a Voigtlander or Zeiss one would do fine. Both modern & clear.

Leica's price is just nuts. You only need the VF for framing & nothing else really.

Agree, it doesn't even have parallax correction. Unless you consider the Leica Universal VF which has parallax correction and multiple framelines, however the price for that brand new is a bit crazy too.

6845898866_8fc9e2fac0_z.jpg

When I get my 21mm, I'm going to learn to live with the m9 viewfinder to frame focus and snap. If need to, test shot can be fired and viewed and framing adjustments made.

Unless, of course if I have a third eye, the external wide angle VF makes great sense while I traing my left eye to focus and shoot...haha:)

crispy12 said:
Agree, it doesn't even have parallax correction. Unless you consider the Leica Universal VF which has parallax correction and multiple framelines, however the price for that brand new is a bit crazy too.

Not to mention the add in bulk with universal view finder....looks like a flash unit :)

Hey guys what do you think is the worth of a 21 avenon black millenium with hood, finder, papers and sorts? Have sort of a good deal but can't help but wonder is there any value to these rarer models?

Why not wait out for the new voigtlander 21mm f1.8? :wink:

Why not wait out for the new voigtlander 21mm f1.8? :wink:

Still a S$1800 proposition.

21-mm_f1.8_ultron.jpg

At least you don't have to spend extra money on a hood. VF still a must though. Unless you own a Bessa R4..

Cheers,