Choices for 21mm lens

Agreed. I took the ZM 25mm F2.8 for a quick spin on my M9. Sharp, sharp sharp. And zero distortion.

FARI

from internet chatter & reviews.

Zeiss 25mm F2.8 is prob one of the best wide angle around at the moment. Zeiss VF is super sweet as well

FBA said:
Agreed. I took the ZM 25mm F2.8 for a quick spin on my M9. Sharp, sharp sharp. And zero distortion.

FARI

Ya i took your advice that night and bought this monster, stunning and no regrets. Now just considering 35 summicron or zm 1.

Yes, the "latest" chrome version from Y.K. Optical are chrome, focuses down to 0.7, has more aperture blades & are in M mount as well.

Its hard to come by an Avenon these days, let alone the version you are looking at.

I had actually just been able to get one yesterday from a fellow clubsnapper! :)
So that's why I wanted to know more about this exact version, and whether it actually carries a premium? Cause I was sold it at the same price as a usual model a.k.a. 1.0m focusing.

I had actually just been able to get one yesterday from a fellow clubsnapper! :)
So that's why I wanted to know more about this exact version, and whether it actually carries a premium? Cause I was sold it at the same price as a usual model a.k.a. 1.0m focusing.

Ah you are lucky.

I did see one on CS going for 1500++ a couple of weeks back.

Used to be able to get a full set in Japan for 700sgd, nowadays, non-existant.

Mine comes as a full complete set.
I've got original caps for the lens & VF. Individual boxes for the VF & lens.
Leather pouch, warranty card etc.

Ah you are lucky.

I did see one on CS going for 1500++ a couple of weeks back.

Used to be able to get a full set in Japan for 700sgd, nowadays, non-existant.

Mine comes as a full complete set.
I've got original caps for the lens & VF. Individual boxes for the VF & lens.
Leather pouch, warranty card etc.

I agree, it feels spectacular while being soo wide with such near focal length that wide open really gets creative. Didn't get everything but the box and the caps are there! Would love to collect, its just money money money as the issue! Hope you guys have an RFSG outing soon! Would love to meet up with everyone! :)

RWC you're beginning to sound like a collector :O
Whahahahaha! Jon I'm no where near you or benny on that part! hahaha

I agree, it feels spectacular while being soo wide with such near focal length that wide open really gets creative. Didn't get everything but the box and the caps are there! Would love to collect, its just money money money as the issue! Hope you guys have an RFSG outing soon! Would love to meet up with everyone! :)

I've got an entire set here shot by the Avenon 21mm
Avenon / Kobalux 21mm F2.8 LTM - a set on Flickr

Whahahahaha! Jon I'm no where near you or benny on that part! hahaha

I've got an entire set here shot by the Avenon 21mm
Avenon / Kobalux 21mm F2.8 LTM - a set on Flickr

And I must say they are spectacular! The review and browsing through your flickr was if not the main one of the most biggest push factors to this lens! :)

You mean pull factor, not push lol

I need to warn u that 21mm not easy to use coz u need to shoot very very close (for street photog). Brad Pitt he take very good pics as you see in his flickr coz he is very brave and go really close to shoot in people,s face.

For others like me who always bad luck kenna subjects who react adversely to being photography, i stick to 50mm or 35mm so there is some distance to turn and run!

artspraken said:
I need to warn u that 21mm not easy to use coz u need to shoot very very close (for street photog). Brad Pitt he take very good pics as you see in his flickr coz he is very brave and go really close to shoot in people,s face.

For others like me who always bad luck kenna subjects who react adversely to being photography, i stick to 50mm or 35mm so there is some distance to turn and run!

Haha true! Shots from distance with a 21 are rendering useless unless its the landscape. But oh well just gotta learn to get in people's face. Discreetly. :) quite impossible. But will try. :). Singapore is not the best place for this obviously. But hit overseas and you're going to be looking at an easier task I suppose!

Haha true! Shots from distance with a 21 are rendering useless unless its the landscape. But oh well just gotta learn to get in people's face. Discreetly. :) quite impossible. But will try. :). Singapore is not the best place for this obviously. But hit overseas and you're going to be looking at an easier task I suppose!

same actually.

Local or overseas, still same for me.

I think Singapore is pretty easy once you get in the groove

Guess you guys are right. I mean I don't know. Ive shot around different places. Just always felt Singapore was slightly more restrained. But maybe it's just me. It should be. You just gotta overcome whatever is holding you back :). Can't wait to overcome then cause the avenon doesn't deserve to just be sitting at home. :)

Definitely. Have tips to share soon enough on how to approach people on my site. Look out for it :p

I've read alot of good things about CV 4/21 and ZM 4.5/21

There is also ZM 2.8/21 and SEM 3.4/21

I wouldnt really bother too much about sharpness of the film.

Generally, if you are shooting film. The film sharpness, the developing methods & the scanning comes into play to really see the film sharpness. Unless of course you are using the M9 with the 50cents LCD (hahaha) then you it shouldnt be an issue I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not well endowed with the digital knowledge.

For film, I believe most use resonably good pro grade films, slides would be the best. Development depends on your skill or rather the mood of the colour lab & lets face it, not all of has a nice Nikon Coolscan or Hassy Flextight sitting at home to really bring out the real picture.

So yea, I wouldnt really be too bothered about the sharpness of the lens output. All lens are sharp at F8 or their sweet spot &....................... We all dont have a nice scanner to justify it.
Which brings out the next question which is out of topic. heehee... Big money lenses but a less than 1k scanner to do the job? Are you doing justice to the lens?

Last edited:
Argee with the scanner issue . My cheap 9000F can not get the sharpness. But my 10 year old professional polaroid can do the job.

CV lenses work very well on the Ricoh GXR A12M ....unfortunately I don't have a resolution test with the 21mm online , but have one with the 12mm and 15mm. They do a terrific job for the money. Sure , Zeiss is a bit better , for 3 times the price , they are only a few % better.

Anyone kind enough to share their experience with the 21mm Super Elmarit?

I'm on my way to complete my 3 lens kit set of lenses for my M9 ( 21 / 35 / 90 mm)...and have gotten the 35 lux Fle, 90 APO Cron.

To me the 21mm wide will not be my most used lens as I mainly intend to use it for outdoors landscape, automotive and dramatic effect shotting. Therefore the heavy and expensive 21mm lux is not in my consideration. Besides it will be a bitch to travel with such a lens. I know that the drawback for the f3.4 of the s. elmarit means not much indoor shots can be of any good. If someone can share their frustration (if any) with the lens will be great for my decision making. Thanks.