Choices for 21mm lens

gary is a 21mm master himself. I've gotten an avenon 21mm and experienced the magic the lens can do and grew to love it

Bro, I'm not 21mm master la!

The Avenon or in japan pronounced as "air-ba-non" is a super performer for its price if you cant afford Zeiss or Leica for 21 wide at F2.8.

Yet to see Voigtlander come out with a 21mm F2.8 but if they do, sure gonna be one of their stellar performer lens for the price as usual coming from these guys but cosina "betrayed" me, these days stopped producing chrome lenses (chiif you hear this?????)

I've tried zone focusing on the avenon at less than 21mm on street, still clear all round! nice!

Anyone here has used the 25mm color skopar (rangefinder coupled version)? How does it compare to the zeiss version? Is the depth of focus sufficient for practical street shooting purposes?

I'm interested in this as I think I can use one of these without an additional viewfinder on my zeiss ikon.

Hahaha.. you're just being modest.... Avenon is a Japanese made lens so in Japan they pronounce the name as Ah-beh-non... Mijonju got this lens himself and did a quick video review on the lens. here's the video:

[video=youtube;3plZnjhSudA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3plZnjhSudA[/video]

Bro, I'm not 21mm master la!

The Avenon or in japan pronounced as "air-ba-non" is a super performer for its price if you cant afford Zeiss or Leica for 21 wide at F2.8.

Yet to see Voigtlander come out with a 21mm F2.8 but if they do, sure gonna be one of their stellar performer lens for the price as usual coming from these guys but cosina "betrayed" me, these days stopped producing chrome lenses (chiif you hear this?????)

I've tried zone focusing on the avenon at less than 21mm on street, still clear all round! nice!

i have a receding hairline. I find Mihonju's hair very annoying.

Have anyone here trying out the CV21/4 on the M8? How does it perform? I always find that the voigtlander great value for money. :)

If speed isn't critical, consider the Zeiss 21mm f/4.5. Its the sharpest, least distorting 21mm lens I've ever used. And its quite compact too.

If speed isn't critical, consider the Zeiss 21mm f/4.5. Its the sharpest, least distorting 21mm lens I've ever used. And its quite compact too.

My choice too ... amazingly sharp with almost no distortion! And focuses at 0.5m - infinity!

My choice too ... amazingly sharp with almost no distortion! And focuses at 0.5m - infinity!

I think coupled to 0.7m on M below that it's guessimation. Maybe on Zeiss body, it may couple to 0.5m (I'm not sure about this)

Have anyone here trying out the CV21/4 on the M8? How does it perform? I always find that the voigtlander great value for money. :)

CV21/4 works lovely on m8, great value for money and very compact too. You won't regret it..

Hey there! Just wanted to ask those who know more is the third generation of avenon the one with both chrome and black in 0.7m focus distance? And is it more uncommon than the 1.0m focus distance and hence carry any premium?
Thanks! :)

Hey there! Just wanted to ask those who know more is the third generation of avenon the one with both chrome and black in 0.7m focus distance? And is it more uncommon than the 1.0m focus distance and hence carry any premium?
Thanks! :)

If I'm not wrong the black copy is a special millennium version. More limited in quantity so probably commands a premium

magicianhisoka said:
If I'm not wrong the black copy is a special millennium version. More limited in quantity so probably commands a premium

Yeah that's what is confusing me. I hear that it's only the black millennium that focuses to 0.7m but on a couple of sites I see there is a chrome version too. Mostly released without serial numbers after the closure of kobalux. Anyone know more about the end of the avenon? Thanks!

Yeah that's what is confusing me. I hear that it's only the black millennium that focuses to 0.7m but on a couple of sites I see there is a chrome version too. Mostly released without serial numbers after the closure of kobalux. Anyone know more about the end of the avenon? Thanks!

I did a review on the Avenon 21mm F2.8 on RFSG's site, can see it here:
RFSG » Gear Reviews: Avenon 21mm F2.8

I've gathered all the links I could find on the Avenon as well over there. Should be quite a read.

Quite hard to get this lens nowadays, not much people are letting it go.

Thanks! I'll go check it out! From what I've gathered. There's a chrome version with 0.7m focusing. It comes usually without serial number. But some have it too. It was the last edition of the lens. Nice review, an enjoyable read.

Thanks! I'll go check it out! From what I've gathered. There's a chrome version with 0.7m focusing. It comes usually without serial number. But some have it too. It was the last edition of the lens. Nice review, an enjoyable read.

Yes, the "latest" chrome version from Y.K. Optical are chrome, focuses down to 0.7, has more aperture blades & are in M mount as well.

Its hard to come by an Avenon these days, let alone the version you are looking at.