Choices for 21mm lens

sweat100

Jul 7, 2002
Singapore
sweat100.multiply.com
I am considering a 21mm lens for my wide angle needs. After reading on a few forums and review, I am keen on the Zeiss ZM 21mm f2.8 or the super angulon (SA) 21mm f3.4. What are user opinions? I am leaning towards the zeiss due to the superior image quality but I am not sure if the super angulon works better. I read about SA's vignetting and non-retrofocus design which kinda attracts me. For bokeh wise, I do not take it into consideration as there isn't too much to talk about for a wide angle lens.
I do not have enough budget for a 21mm Elmarit ASPH or Summilux, so that is out of the question.

A dark horse and one of the bestest is the voigtlander 21mm f4.

A dark horse and one of the bestest is the voigtlander 21mm f4.

That was also part of my consideration too. I am getting this lens to shoot a wedding in the coming month. I am worried that f4 might be a bit limiting in indoor situations even at ISO3200. So I was thinking of some lens that is brighter like the f2.8 ones.

Zeiss is F2.8 but its quite big.

SA on film camera got alot of character. You can see pics on internet. SA on M9 is a no-no. Got magenta shift problem.

CV is excellent lens and small size, compact.

I am getting this lens to shoot a wedding in the coming month.

Have you used a 21mm for a wedding before? Distortion with any 21mm lens is always going to be obvious and you will need to shoot very, very close, at about 3 or 4 feet, to avoid huge empty spaces in the foreground. IMHO unless you have planned for a specific type of shot it isn't a go-to lens for this purpose.

I think a 25mm is a better idea. There's the CV 25/4 and the CZ 25/2.8. I have the latter, and am quite happy with the results.

Zeiss is F2.8 but its quite big.

SA on film camera got alot of character. You can see pics on internet. SA on M9 is a no-no. Got magenta shift problem.

CV is excellent lens and small size, compact.

THere's also a slower Zeiss F4 if I am not wrong.

i love my sa21 hehe, i dont have digital so it isn't a problem. I don't mind its soft corner and vignetting.

4163792932_7c2038c505_z.jpg

4915386491_dfb5da009c_z.jpg

5129174679_882c15e712_z.jpg

My dream is get a chrome version of this lens.

Have you used a 21mm for a wedding before? Distortion with any 21mm lens is always going to be obvious and you will need to shoot very, very close, at about 3 or 4 feet, to avoid huge empty spaces in the foreground. IMHO unless you have planned for a specific type of shot it isn't a go-to lens for this purpose.
Thanks for the advise, I am aware of the corner distortion. Yes, I have a few planned shots in mind. That is why I am hesitant in buying that lens for a few shots. (Its not a paid shoot and I am a not the main photographer) I plan to use 50mm and 85mm for most of the shots.

Last edited:
I used 21mm to shoot table to table wedding shots before. I will never do it again.

All the people's head all distorted and warped out of shape. Got picture of TCS actor who was a guest at the wedding. He looked so fat because the 21mm make his face distorted sideways.

i love my sa21 hehe, i dont have digital so it isn't a problem. I don't mind its soft corner and vignetting.
4915386491_dfb5da009c_z.jpg

Is that a Hexar RF?

i think u can check out either zeiss 21 2.8 or leica 21 2.8 pre-asph. zeiss is probably sharper, but well. depends on what ur looking for. not ez to find a 21 pre-asph also

Actually a 35 will be easier to use in people shooting than 21 and will also feel more natural.

The Zeiss 21/2.8 works best with the virtually distortion and I heard the Zeiss 21/4 is sharper. Buy Leica 21 elmarit if you like curvy lines. The cv is also very good.

The advantage abt 21mm is hyperfocusing is very easy.

Set F8, and set range on lens. Everything further than 1m is in focus! In practice, this means for street shooting you do not have to focus as long as subject is 1m and further.

You see how bradpitt use his 21mm avenon, i learnt alot from him

Last edited:
artspraken said:
The advantage abt 21mm is hyperfocusing is very easy.

Set F8, and set range on lens. Everything further than 1m is in focus! In practice, this means for street shooting you do not have to focus as long as subject is 1m and further.

You see how bradpitt use his 21mm avenon, i learnt alot from him

Same la bro, 21mm just go nearer lor.........

even at F2.8 at 1-3 meters, I have things in focus.

Here is a couple from my 21mm:

the subjects look far but actually all of them are easily less than 2 meters away.

Well, what I would say with 21mm, the part I like about it is that the zone focus depth is so good that you dont have to worry about focusing, just full concentration on shooting & composition, one thing off your mind.

I'm a non bokeh shooter for street so yea, even at F2.8, no bokeh, I got clear through pictures which really appeal to me.

The magic is being up close but yet, you cover a lot from side to side enough to see what is going on the background in the picture as well.

Last edited: