Choices and price of 2GB or 4GB CF cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kongo

Apr 6, 2005
www.pbase.com
Hi,

Realised that most recommend SanDisk or Lexar, anyone have some ideas of how much these CF cards are selling recently?

Thinking of upgrading to the 2GB or 4GB version..

ultra II 2GB cf : $SGD 210

Hi,

I just bought Transcend 2 GB 80x CF card. The price was 152 $. I bought it from Best Bargain, Sim Lim Square 5th floor.

So far nothing to complain with the card. Fast enough for me.

Same shop is selling Kingston Elite Pro HS 4 GB cards for 380 $. I decided to buy 2 x 2 GB as price was 80 $ cheaper.

Peter_Tee said:
Hi,

I just bought Transcend 2 GB 80x CF card. The price was 152 $. I bought it from Best Bargain, Sim Lim Square 5th floor.

So far nothing to complain with the card. Fast enough for me.

Same shop is selling Kingston Elite Pro HS 4 GB cards for 380 $. I decided to buy 2 x 2 GB as price was 80 $ cheaper.

That is good price.
How is it speed when shoot raw with burst?

donchua said:
That is good price.
How is it speed when shoot raw with burst?

I did some tests... Canon 20D is able to take 6 shots in burst while shooting in RAW. I have 1 GB SanDisk Ultra II CF and 2 GB Transcend 80x CF cards.

Both were equal fast to store all the data back to card. It took about 13 seconds to complete the whole operation - I started measurement when pushing the camera trigger and ended the time measurement when all the data was written to CF. As a comparasion to my 4 GB Kingston Elite Pro HS card was much slower, it took about 18 seconds to complete the same process.

Hope this helps!

now they have kingston ultimate (brown colour series). who has used it yet? any feedback?

ultra II 2GB $210 from simlim 4th floor A-B-N-N shop

If you want to go higher you can try Seagate 8GB CF microdrive, price i'm not sure...either close to $1k or slightly over.

Hi,

Are there significant time diff taken to format these cards compare to the sandisk? Heard that some cards took a long time to format?

Thanks for all the reply, BTW :D

Peter_Tee said:
I did some tests... Canon 20D is able to take 6 shots in burst while shooting in RAW. I have 1 GB SanDisk Ultra II CF and 2 GB Transcend 80x CF cards.

Both were equal fast to store all the data back to card. It took about 13 seconds to complete the whole operation - I started measurement when pushing the camera trigger and ended the time measurement when all the data was written to CF. As a comparasion to my 4 GB Kingston Elite Pro HS card was much slower, it took about 18 seconds to complete the same process.

Hope this helps!

won't recommend this microdrive.
price is cheap,
something like less than $400 during the Sitex 05.
got the 4GB version.
took 20D more than 12mins
and 5D 10mins to format the card.

jude

Snoweagle said:
If you want to go higher you can try Seagate 8GB CF microdrive, price i'm not sure...either close to $1k or slightly over.

judeseah said:
won't recommend this microdrive.
price is cheap,
something like less than $400 during the Sitex 05.
got the 4GB version.
took 20D more than 12mins
and 5D 10mins to format the card.

jude

Less than $400?? the 4GB version already costs around that price.

If i were you i'll slot the CF card into my computer and format it. It'll be much faster.

Snoweagle said:
If i were you i'll slot the CF card into my computer and format it. It'll be much faster.
Pls do not format a card for camera use in a computer...:nono:

The computer will format it with some computer OS based file system that may interfere with camera operation...we don't have to format all the time and I think waiting longer once in a while is not too big a problem compared to possible card problems...

theRBK said:
Pls do not format a card for camera use in a computer...:nono:

The computer will format it with some computer OS based file system that may interfere with camera operation...we don't have to format all the time and I think waiting longer once in a while is not too big a problem compared to possible card problems...

Oh okie...will take note of that, thanks!

No prob :)

Just saw the Transcend 2GB 80X at $148 & 2GB 120X at $158.
Transcend ok?

prices of 2GB and above CF cards have been dropping recently

today i just ask:
sandisk utlra II 2gb selling @ $185
sandisk extreme III 2gb selling @ 255

worth getting!

Yes, the price has dropped.

Bought the 2GB Sandisk ultra II @ Alan photo today, Price is $188.

silver.wolf said:
prices of 2GB and above CF cards have been dropping recently

today i just ask:
sandisk utlra II 2gb selling @ $185
sandisk extreme III 2gb selling @ 255

worth getting!

Where you ask?

Kongo said:
Yes, the price has dropped.

Bought the 2GB Sandisk ultra II @ Alan photo today, Price is $188.

AP SLS?

eh nobody use kingston ultimate series? claimed to be at 133x read speed

Status
Not open for further replies.