choice of lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

affic

Sep 6, 2009
hi.
im newbie..i still gt problem choosing the right lens.
currently im using 450D..wif 18-55mm IS lens..but im nt tt satisfy with my picture outcome..

currently im shooting *sports and landscape*
therefore i would prefer picture that has sharp focusing all around..
and i dont really like bokeh effect..

so what lens should i get?
ty in adv.:D

You should read the reviews online on the canon wide-angle lenses for landscape shots. As for sports, a tele lens like a 70-200 f/4 will be good.

Most importantly for landscapes, learn about hyperfocal distance.

This may not be a problem with your lens but with your depth-of-field settings.

For landscapes have you tried closing your aperture down at least to f/8 or f/11? Mount your camera on a tripod if this causes your shutterspeed to be too slow.

For sports if you are just taking general shots of e.g. soccer players, will it not look better if you can get separation between the player and the background? Then shoot at your widest aperture to see what kind of effect you get. This helps in giving you the shortest shutter speed to be able to freeze movement and not get out-of-focus pictures all the time. If you are shooting close-ups of players moving I doubt there is any lens that can be both fast and gives you a sharp foreground and background at the same time...unless of course if the player and his background are almost the same distance away from your camera.

If you don't really want bokeh in your photos, don't go to close to your subject and use a smaller aperture of maybe f8-f11.

ty guys.
will take note about the aperture settings.
:cool:

If you do not like out of focus blur and bokeh, sell your DSLR and get a PnS or a prosumer super-zoom. Problem solved.

If you do not already own a good PnS, you should buy the Panasonic LX3 to add in to your DSLR setup. You will be very happy with this little gem for the landscape shots. It is light to carry around and wide angle. :) Most important, it is easier to get sharp focusing all around.

You should state your budget (unless you dun have one) cos the prices for tele lenses can range a lot...

No point recommending expensive lenses that are way off your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.