Status
Not open for further replies.

Caspere

Jul 27, 2003
East Side
gallery.clubsnap.com
Hi Bros,

I am using O2 IIi on Win2003SE I think.

I am looking for recommendation for software on this Pocket PC to read and write Chinese, either by handwriting recognition or hanyupinyin. Hopefully I can use the O2 to read write Chinese on SMS, MMS, surfing internet.

Any good suggestions?

From free to shareware or even pay if its really good.

Thanks ahead.

Cheers.

Caspere

Howdy,
Caspere

I am using Chinese CE Star Suite 2.5 by Mobem and also Monster Chinese in the same iPAQ. Both have to be bought. But the cost is not high.

I bought it for novelty, only to meet the challenge of being able to do it..viz. sms in Chinese, etc...

But after that did not use it much.

Both are good, with Monster Chinese having the edge over CE Star Suite.

Thanks.

While waiting for answers here.. I searched the internet and found a few versions of free CE Star. One version did not work, but another managed to install. I am trying it now to see if its useful.

The free CE Star Suite 2.2 seems to allow handwritten chinese characters only. I cannot get it to use hanyupinyin ..

I will try to give update here if I find better ones.

BTW, if anyone else has better suggestions, pop in!

I checked my software and it is not Microstar.
It is CE Star Suite ver 2.5 by Mobem.

not sure about Hanyu Pinyin.

CE Star is much friendlier to install and over the long term I find it not overly protected. I am beginning to like it more.

Monster Chinese is a B*tch to install and is obsessed with software protection. The Authorisation code,... Registration Code... and hidden secrets to correct registration is not worth the horrible hassle, on hind sight.

I agree about the installation thing on CE Star, very easy and works the 1st try.

If they have "Help" in English, it would be perfect. I still cannot get it to use PinYin!!

How about English-Chinese-English Dictionary on Pocket PCs? Anyone have good suggestions?

If they have "Help" in English, it would be perfect. I still cannot get it to use PinYin!!

Monster Chinese can do Pinyin.
I just did it. Did not use so long ago that I forgot.
Easier to activate Pinyin in Monster Chinese once software is installed but terrible to install the software into PDA.

I also confirm that CE Star Suite ver 2.5 can do Hanyu Pinyin input to produce Chinese characters.
Please note that the following procedure is for CE-star only. (not for Monster Chinese)
The user manual (if any) [I never bothered to find and read it] may not be well written.
The usage is hidden and only a user who has fiddled enough with it can find out.
Ability to do Pinyin is there all the time.

You select "keyboard" as the input mode.
Then when the digital keyboard appears on the touch screen, there is a "CTRL" key on the left bottom most corner of the keyboard.
You tap this.
The translation rectangular tablet should appear.
This thing floats on the screen wherever you wish to place it.

Then on the extreme right hand side of the keyboard, you look for the upward pointing triangle ^ halfway between the top and bottom of the keyboard. Tap this.
A menu selection will appear. This allows you to select various modes of translation.
You select "A" which means in Chinese, that you are in the mode that uses the sound of the English letter/s to approximate the Chinese character.

Now when you type in the digital keyboard, a row of Chinese characters will appear.
As you type in more English letters, the approximation of probable words narrow down to your choice. For example, "ming" will bring up 明。

It is intelligent, so you get the Chinese character you want pretty fast. Just tap on the character you wish out of the choice of 5 of 6. It will then be input into the main text message of the note or SMS that you wish to compose.
Tapping on "CTRL' will allow you to alternate between Chinese and English input in the same note or SMS, at any time.

When you just want to write in the Chinese characters and dispense with PinYin input mode, just select "E" on the menu, which means you select simple Chinese input. When you write with the stylus on the PDA touch-screen, the approximate Chinese characters will appear for you to tap and choose.

Hmmm...maybe CE star should ask me to write their user manual. Just joking.

Happy Pinyin-ing ! Have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.