Chinese Opera (Wayang) alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed9119

Staff member
Mar 11, 2002
Singapore
www.walkeast.com
going to shoot on my own but thought I'd share with you guys that open air chinese opera set up spotted at Redhill Market this morning........ should be happening this evening through the weekend...

Not organizing an outing but just sharing what is spotted

chinese_opera_curtain.jpg

Going over this evening to ask for a little more info and hopefully shoot a little too

going to shoot on my own but thought I'd share with you guys that open air chinese opera set up spotted at Redhill Market this morning........ should be happening this evening through the weekend...

Going over this evening to ask for a little more info and hopefully shoot a little too

thanks. do update on it. like to shoot 1 this year. :)

hey ed and csers, are u all interested in wayang?

just curious. if u all interested i can inform u all when got wayang in the future.

i shot teh same wayang 2 weeks ago at night
have not upload the photos though

Thanks for sharing. Do let us know if you manage to find more details.
I also keen to shoot this.

hey ed and csers, are u all interested in wayang?

just curious. if u all interested i can inform u all when got wayang in the future.

hi,

can let me know ? am keen :) thanks.

shot a little this morning.............will be there again around 6.30 to 9pm this evening..... wearing a Japan polo t-shirt with Japanese flag on my back :bsmilie:

Some guys said that tomorrow is the BIG event with mediums going into trances etc etc etc on sat morning

Redhill area is one of the oldest housing estates in Singapore and the area and atmosphere is still very much 1970s singapore ..... many many tattooed old people sitting around drinking kopi ..... i just feel the air thick with real texture and local culture whenever I am in that area

Last edited:
shot a little this morning.............will be there again around 6.30 to 9pm this evening..... wearing a Japan polo t-shirt with Japanese flag on my back :bsmilie:

Some guys said that tomorrow is the BIG event with mediums going into trances etc etc etc on sat morning

Redhill area is one of the oldest housing estates in Singapore and the area and atmosphere is still very much 1970s singapore ..... many many tattooed old people sitting around drinking kopi ..... i just feel the air thick with real texture and local culture whenever I am in that area

haha yes. i'll suggest u keep a look out for a temple called lei yin shi. once a year they will get xin sai feng to come perform i think for 3 days in a row.:think:

i'll update u all if i get more info:think:

THANKS !:thumbsup:
may go tonight (SAT) .....

tungtong2010 :heart:Singapore

ok i got some updates. 29th june, there will likely be xin sai feng performing at lei yin shi at redhill. hope u all are interested. basic rules apply as that is a place of worship too. seems like 30th or 31 will have some rituals so just letting u all know if u all interested.

Last edited:
Yes, I love the stage by Xin Sai Feng, not all are like this nowadays..raw wooden planks, light bulbs, green canvas roof... so much flavour..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redmonsoon/3876906016/

Another shot where for a sec,after putting down the cam and really try to 'watch' the show, I realized why the attraction. That it was simply just like our current day drama!
And it made sense and it's wasn't some distant weird noisy stage show that only old folks can understand...Dramas haven't really changed much, well besides violence, nudity & sex that is..lol

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redmonsoon/3940691407/

Not had the courage to ask if I may go up to shoot though, is it possible?:)
And if you're going, pls don't be an ass, literally,esp. if theres few of u, and block those old folks watching, they're the VIPs and these performances are special to them, show some respect..:)

Last edited:
ok i got some updates. 29th june, there will likely be xin sai feng performing at lei yin shi at redhill. hope u all are interested. basic rules apply as that is a place of worship too. seems like 30th or 31 will have some rituals so just letting u all know if u all interested.

just wondering... are we allowed to take images of the mediums while in their trances? i've taken photos at a temple during vesak day but i think this should be a different thing altogether?

just wondering... are we allowed to take images of the mediums while in their trances? i've taken photos at a temple during vesak day but i think this should be a different thing altogether?

never had a problem on this front

if ur closely affliated with the temple, then yes ur allowed.

if ur gonna take, and anyhow use it, its disrespectful to the religion itself.

check out this guy

Ronni Pinsler
he was affliated with the leng hiang tua, which closed. currently, their deity statues reside at the red hill temple. i happened to know him cause of that. initially temple in charge didnt allow him to snap photos of our temple, cause thought he some weird angmoh. but after he identified himself and his affliliation with leng hiang tua, we shared books and texts that we wont otherwise let outsiders see.

most temples dun really like to spread their stuff outside.

depends and varies from various temples. but rule of thumb is, dun anyhow use images, credit the temple. best is u send a copy of what you took to the temple and ask for permission first.

Last edited:
Shooting Chinese Opera is quite fun....front stage and back stage...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12950319@N05/4060521112/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12950319@N05/4059973822/in/photostream

The mood, color, expression, really interesting...

ya !:thumbsup:
I love :heart:street Chinese Opera too ,this photo taken in thailand/BKK
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tungtong/4663389552/in/set-72157624064151021/

tungtong2010

june or july ?
:think:

tungtong2010

Status
Not open for further replies.