Chinese New Year from a Newbie

benleehk85

Dec 28, 2010
West Coast
5363252575_36e93db2b8_z.jpg

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
I would like feedback on the composition, colours, comments and criticism.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
The festive mood of CNY! 大红灯笼高高挂!

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Indoor, sunlight from glass roof.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Honestly, I am a TOTAL newbie trying to learn everything about photography. But I really like this shot and its background as it brings out the festive mood of CNY!

Snappers, don't be afraid to be harsh! I can take negative comments!

Last edited:
IMO, this is just a snapshot. I guess your focus subject is the lantern on the left top and I find your picture contained too much things and looks messy. Anyway, keep shooting.
Happy New Year :vhappy:

all i see is just a red globe in focus. colors are nice. but... doesn't really achieve the feel of the festive mood. reason being everything else is OOF. better still, use a wide angle lens down below where everyone is walking around, and shoot people buying stuff.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
The festive mood of CNY! 大红灯笼高高挂!

hi, a latern in focus will not bring out the atmosphere of CNY.
the real focus is in the unfocused part, down in the streets.
keep shooting.

Hi there,

I personally could not tell what is the story that was to be shared. There seems to be a lack of clear theme. : )

Just a random thought: Why not shoot in portrait orientation (Straight) and move more to your side and shoot so that your background includes other lanterns.

That is if your aim is to shoot at the lanterns then maybe you want to move around to avoid other unwanted elements from being included in the pictures.

Dear all, thank you for your valuable feedbacks! Shall work harder to pick up on the skills & techniques! :)