Chinese New Year 2....


Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Hi

the owners of one of the stalls i was hanging out at got curious after a while seeing me mingling and shooting among the crowd, and chatted me up. Turns out they are very friendly pple and even took the time to explain to me a bit about their business.

This guy wanted a shot of him with the goodies he was selling.


He insisted on showing me his golden horse, which was on sale for the upcoming Year of the Horse.....


A hard day's work - setting up and running the store has been no mean feat, especially since they now have to compete with fancy shopping malls....i was allowed the honour of observing them behind the counter.....
 

StreetShooter

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
4,634
0
0
Katong
streetshooter.clubsnap.org


I like this one. Shows the guy in his environment, surrounded by New Year "stuff", taking a break and making time for a photographer. Eye contact makes the "moment" work. Nicely framed picture. Bright Chinese New Year colours. Black and white WON'T work for CNY pictures!

Bedok, hah? I thought it was Chinatown!
 

Goose

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
589
0
16
Visit site
Nice pics!! Esp the guy in the centre of his stuff. Was the lighting bright enough to avoid the use of flash??
 

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Originally posted by Goose
Nice pics!! Esp the guy in the centre of his stuff. Was the lighting bright enough to avoid the use of flash??
yup.....i was at ISO 800 and i have very respectable shutter speeds.......
i'm not very confident with using flash in such a place where there are so many bright and reflective objects......not with the D30's implementation of ETTL anyway :)
 

rueyloon

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
1,680
0
36
www.rueyloon.com
Originally posted by StreetShooter


I like this one. Shows the guy in his environment, surrounded by New Year "stuff", taking a break and making time for a photographer. Eye contact makes the "moment" work. Nicely framed picture. Bright Chinese New Year colours. Black and white WON'T work for CNY pictures!

Bedok, hah? I thought it was Chinatown!

reddawn, are you going to print a copy for this guy ? I think he'll be a happy man if he can get a copy... makes him look quite nice with his stall/business.
 

Goose

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
589
0
16
Visit site
Originally posted by Red Dawn


yup.....i was at ISO 800 and i have very respectable shutter speeds.......
i'm not very confident with using flash in such a place where there are so many bright and reflective objects......not with the D30's implementation of ETTL anyway :)
ISO 800?? Er...your pics dun have any noise at all. How did u do that??
 

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Originally posted by rueyloon



reddawn, are you going to print a copy for this guy ? I think he'll be a happy man if he can get a copy... makes him look quite nice with his stall/business.
u're right. maybe i should! :)
they did say i can come down anytime to take pics.....:p
 

Red Dawn

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,464
1
38
Singapore
www.5stonesphoto.com
Originally posted by Goose


ISO 800?? Er...your pics dun have any noise at all. How did u do that??
errr...the camera did most of the work :p
wat i mean is, to avoid noise for the D30 at high ISO, try to make the histogram full, that is, get a good exposure and avoid underexposure at all cost. Noise may be visible in the shadow areas of the image, but as long as the main subject is correctly exposed, it shouldn't distract too much from the overall image....

well, actually, the D30 at ISO 800 produces very acceptable pictures with acceptable levels of noise (which looks like film grain really, but better...)........for a picture that is correctly and well exposed, at A3 sized prints from Epson photo printer, ISO 800 shots are still very good. i have one such print.....

I don't do it as often nowadays (esp for black and white pics) but i do sometimes run ISO 800 and ISO 1600 images through Fred Miranda's excellent isoR noise reducer photoshop action. There are many such noise reducers around (some free, some not so free) which can help with noisy digital images. However, the compromise is some of them will make your images softer........
 

Goose

Senior Member
Jan 18, 2002
589
0
16
Visit site
Oic.....now i understand. Only asking cause my G2 at ISO 800 produces quite alot of noise. Thanks for ya explanation! I'll try your suggestion out and see if it works!! Thanks again!! ;)
 

Status
Not open for further replies.