chinese fonts in PS CS

Status
Not open for further replies.

hwchoy

Jul 16, 2003
Tampines, Singapore.
www.hexazona.com
I have a set of TrueType chinese fonts which works in MS Office (e.g. in Word I can see the fonts in the drop list) but it does not appear in PS CS font list. Other TrueType fonts does appear and work in PS CS.

Any ideas? I can mail you a font to try.

hwchoy said:
I have a set of TrueType chinese fonts which works in MS Office (e.g. in Word I can see the fonts in the drop list) but it does not appear in PS CS font list. Other TrueType fonts does appear and work in PS CS.

Any ideas? I can mail you a font to try.

Try ChineseStar XP it works with PSCS.

or try copy it from Word and paste it into PS.

I use Illustrator or freehand for chinese font then convert to path and import into PS.

Mail me i can help u convert if is not alot if is a poem then i will got to charge u liao :p
PM me for my email.

jopel said:

I use Illustrator or freehand for chinese font then convert to path and import into PS.
yeah cut and paste is wat i do if i need chinese in PS. :thumbsup:

zerofour said:
Mail me i can help u convert if is not alot if is a poem then i will got to charge u liao :p
PM me for my email.

haha thanx but I looking for A WAY to do this, don't have any specific text in mind yet. :)

jopel said:

no CHineseStar. but think I will try the freehand path convert (may need some help here on HOW TO). I already tried word, the characters come out all wrong because the glyph map to something else.

hwchoy said:
no CHineseStar. but think I will try the freehand path convert (may need some help here on HOW TO). I already tried word, the characters come out all wrong because the glyph map to something else.
oh.. so it works in free hand for u? yeah you could try that..

if u're using winxp, just install the asian language pack (if you haven't done so already) and u can input straight into word without any extra programs. works well for me, but then again i SELDOM use chinese.... ;p

jopel said:

Freehand? Is yours a chinese copy of freehand? Macromedia's site states that the English version of freehand does not support chinese input at all.

hwchoy said:
is that right!? I'll try and see. probably use character picker to cut and paste anyway. :)

Yeaps. Chinese just comes out as gibberish (i.e. the actual symbols). What most people do is to do it in Illustrator/PS and then save it as an EPS file.

Richard said:
Freehand? Is yours a chinese copy of freehand? Macromedia's site states that the English version of freehand does not support chinese input at all.

Sorry, overlook, I use ChineseStar to work with both FreeHand and Illustrator. :embrass:

Hi HWCHOY if it is not a secret message can you post your text in han yu pin yin here I will get it done for you. :)

jOhO said:
oh.. so it works in free hand for u? yeah you could try that..

if u're using winxp, just install the asian language pack (if you haven't done so already) and u can input straight into word without any extra programs. works well for me, but then again i SELDOM use chinese.... ;p
i use winxp pro and PS7. I have the chinese language pack installed I cannot input chinese directly at you mentioned. It just doesn't come out. But it works fine on msn and ms word. Are you sure it works for you? Care to share your set up? Thanks a million

yanyewkay said:
i use winxp pro and PS7. I have the chinese language pack installed I cannot input chinese directly at you mentioned. It just doesn't come out. But it works fine on msn and ms word. Are you sure it works for you? Care to share your set up? Thanks a million

I guessed he is saying it works with MS Word not PS7.

jopel said:
Sorry, overlook, I use ChineseStar to work with both FreeHand and Illustrator. :embrass:

Hi HWCHOY if it is not a secret message can you post your text in han yu pin yin here I will get it done for you. :)

no no I don't have a message NOW. Just want to find out how to do it rather than wait till I need it. :) So looks like have to find ChineseStar.

hwchoy said:
no no I don't have a message NOW. Just want to find out how to do it rather than wait till I need it. :) So looks like have to find ChineseStar.

If you're looking to do word processing really... since I have no idea what you're asking actually... ;p there's the NJStar (http://www.njstar.com) word processor which works. The difference between the paid and unpaid version is that the paid version comes with TrueType fonts.

ah let me elaborate a little. actually I found that even in PS CS you can call up chinese fonts such as SimHei and SimSun which seem to be included in the Windows language pack.

The real issue seem to be that the menu drop list cannot display font names in chinese and hence these fonts don't show up. Even in MS Office only Word seem to be able to do that, Powerpoint also cannot see the fonts.

The fonts in question came from here http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/edv/sinopc/chinese_fonts.htm

so it appears I just have to be happy with the ugly SimSun fonts. ;(

hwchoy said:
ah let me elaborate a little. actually I found that even in PS CS you can call up chinese fonts such as SimHei and SimSun which seem to be included in the Windows language pack.

The real issue seem to be that the menu drop list cannot display font names in chinese and hence these fonts don't show up. Even in MS Office only Word seem to be able to do that, Powerpoint also cannot see the fonts.

The fonts in question came from here http://www.sino.uni-heidelberg.de/edv/sinopc/chinese_fonts.htm

so it appears I just have to be happy with the ugly SimSun fonts. ;(

Ah. That figures. You're right, I just checked. The fonts don't work... I think you're pretty much screwed... ;P

An alternative would be to get the chinese fonts from the people who already have chinese programs installed. The package includes different varieties of Chinese fonts... but that would be piracy... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.