chinese calligraphy

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentmonkey

Jul 10, 2004
www.flickr.com
is it actually possible for someone to learn chinese calligraphy on his own? and if not, where can i go learn in singapore? preferbly in english because i'm a banana....

thanks man...would you know of any good chinese calligraphers i can try emulating first before i try my own style?

you could try visiting one of those calligraphy stores or chinese bookstores in bras basah... or even the national library.

i think traditionally people start learning "kai shu" but since you are freestyle, just go freestyle lor.

hey man, thanks for reply...don't mind me asking, what's "kai shu"? open book? lol..sorry...as you can see, going to be a steep uphill climb for a banana like me

for the nat lib, are you referring to books on calligraphy?

hi.. used to practise basic Chinese calligraphy in sec sch... very rusty liao... although i did practise a bit last yr.. but now slack again.. haha...

kai shu is actually 1 of the types of calligraphy.. similar to fonts in word processing if u get wat i mean... kai shu is the simplest n forms the foundations for other styles... strokes in kai shu are usually solid n kinda rigid n the words do not have all the fanciful styles applied to it...

bottomline: learn kai shu 1st...

agentmonkey said:
hey man, thanks for reply...don't mind me asking, what's "kai shu"? open book? lol..sorry...as you can see, going to be a steep uphill climb for a banana like me

for the nat lib, are you referring to books on calligraphy?

Look for calligrapher Yuan Zhen Qing on his kai shu .. that is the standard .. if you cant write it then you wont be able to enjoy the joys .. :)

They were many old master works .. just visits any book stores you will be able to find it. Not that expensive also .. but I would suggest you learn for CC or some hui guan to better understand the chinese culture .. else how to be appreciative ?? :dunno:

I am Art lover and I do collect Arts .. but too poor to own those high class Arts works .. :cry:
33817969.jpg

derelictz said:
hi.. used to practise basic Chinese calligraphy in sec sch... very rusty liao... although i did practise a bit last yr.. but now slack again.. haha...

kai shu is actually 1 of the types of calligraphy.. similar to fonts in word processing if u get wat i mean... kai shu is the simplest n forms the foundations for other styles... strokes in kai shu are usually solid n kinda rigid n the words do not have all the fanciful styles applied to it...

bottomline: learn kai shu 1st...

That's right ... learn kai shu 1st .. but I cant master it .. :cry:

I find myself more towards Li Shu ... wonder does it got anything to do with my character ?? :think:

KNIGHT ONG said:
That's right ... learn kai shu 1st .. but I cant master it .. :cry:

I find myself more towards Li Shu ... wonder does it got anything to do with my character ?? :think:

lol.. i'm not so sure bout tat... i'm a noob in calligraphy n i'm rusty so i can't comment on tat..
anyway.. my previous teacher in sec sch seems to be quite famous.. appeared in several books n held exhibitions in china n/or taiwan before...
when i happen to accquaint myself with another calligraphy teacher last year, she also heard his name before... :dunno:

can try the nat lib at victoria st (they call it the LKC reference library...), 9th flr. can browse but cannot borrow...

the thin "sample characters" book is so cheap, it's more expensive or not worth it to photocopy :p or so i hear from my gf who learnt for five years.

i learnt two lessons so far, find it relaxing.

derelictz said:
lol.. i'm not so sure bout tat... i'm a noob in calligraphy n i'm rusty so i can't comment on tat..
anyway.. my previous teacher in sec sch seems to be quite famous.. appeared in several books n held exhibitions in china n/or taiwan before...
when i happen to accquaint myself with another calligraphy teacher last year, she also heard his name before... :dunno:

I am :embrass: to say my teacher name as I have not been a good student .. :cry: I gave up as I finds myself better in photography .. :bsmilie:

Whole Singapore would have known him .. our MM, SM, PM .. etc ... He is very well known .. Mr Khoo ... :D

hey all, thanks for enlightening me on "kai shu"... and places where i can go get stuff on chinese calligraphy....don't think i'll have time to go learn calligraphy formally at the moment because i'm waiting for enlistment (unless i sway sway go in dec)...but out of interest, which hui guans would you guys suggest? and will they conduct the classes in english or mandarin? (my mandarin is really bad, but i'm trying to find ways to improve it)

that said, although my cheena is horrendous, have a sudden interest in chinese culture/history so i thought trying to learn calligraphy might be a start into appreciating my roots more

KNIGHT ONG said:
I am :embrass: to say my teacher name as I have not been a good student .. :cry: I gave up as I finds myself better in photography .. :bsmilie:

Whole Singapore would have known him .. our MM, SM, PM .. etc ... He is very well known .. Mr Khoo ... :D

hey knightong, is your teacher's full name Mr. Khoo Seow Hwa ?

btw...the pic you posted, is the calligraphy work done by you?

derelictz said:
Ilol.. i'm not so sure bout tat... i'm a noob in calligraphy n i'm rusty so i can't comment on tat..
when i happen to accquaint myself with another calligraphy teacher last year, she also heard his name before...

hello derelictz...would your teacher have any sample of his stuff online? (or other places i could go visit to have a look at his work) thanks!

igpenguin said:
can try the nat lib at victoria st (they call it the LKC reference library...), 9th flr. can browse but cannot borrow...

the thin "sample characters" book is so cheap, it's more expensive or not worth it to photocopy :p or so i hear from my gf who learnt for five years.

i learnt two lessons so far, find it relaxing.

hey man, mind if i know where you're learning?

I also learnt from Khoo Seow Hwa a few years ago.

Really enjoyable coz he can work in the chinese culture all into his lesson. He is also good at using bilingual medium of instruction.

let me go dig up his contact. or does anyone still learn from him.

i last bump into him at the buddhist lodge free clinic at lor 17 geylang... he was teaching a sunday afternoon class there.

The Tang Dynasty 4 Calligraphy Master are, Yan Zhen Qing, Liu Gong Quan, Ouyang Xun, Zhao Meng Fu. (last one maybe wrong... bad memory)

The greatest ever Calligrapher is Wang Xizhi with his "Lan Ting Xu" (Orchid Pavillion) of which the original has been long lost..... (buried with the Tang Emperor, Li Shimin) Only copies of Lan Ting Xu exist by scholar who copied it at that time.

agentmonkey said:
hey man, mind if i know where you're learning?

i'm learning at the chinese calligraphy centre at waterloo st. once a week, each semester is about three months. paying $115 per semester, 1.5 hrs each session. it's a group thingy and the teacher walks around the class giving pointers to individual students... advanced, beginners all mixed in...

agentmonkey said:

hello derelictz...would your teacher have any sample of his stuff online? (or other places i could go visit to have a look at his work) thanks!

i dun think so... u can try checking n he's pretty old now... in his 70s i reckon... retired already.. but i think he shud still be doing it in his free time... been 7 yrs since i last saw him... haha his surname is Liao.

agentmonkey said:
hey all, thanks for enlightening me on "kai shu"... and places where i can go get stuff on chinese calligraphy....don't think i'll have time to go learn calligraphy formally at the moment because i'm waiting for enlistment (unless i sway sway go in dec)...but out of interest, which hui guans would you guys suggest? and will they conduct the classes in english or mandarin? (my mandarin is really bad, but i'm trying to find ways to improve it)

that said, although my cheena is horrendous, have a sudden interest in chinese culture/history so i thought trying to learn calligraphy might be a start into appreciating my roots more

lol i learnt in sec sch... so i dunno where u can actually pick up... but im sure there r plenty of places u can learn from...

i'm too ashamed to say my teacher's name out loud cos i was a terror in his class... always run here run there then go walk arnd the sch during his lessons.. haha.. in the end?
i dropped 'O' Levels Art. haha :embrass:

agentmonkey said:

Yes .. Khoo Seow Hwa .. I was weak in calligraphy .. :embrass:

The pic posted was done by Tan Swie Hian .. another famous calligrapher in Singapore .. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.