Chinatown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweek

Jan 17, 2002
East
www.weekai.com
Some test shots I've gotten with an old Pentax K1000 plus assortment of lenses. The cam is old but the man is new. All shots taken on Provia 100F (pushed +1). Pardon the scan quality please, I used a dodgy lowly flatbed.

pentax01.jpg

pentax02.jpg

pentax05.jpg

pentax06.jpg

Thanks for your encouragement Andy.

Just looked through your ubin series and I love it! Been to ubin many times but never felt the intimacy with the island the way your photos do.

Hi Andy,

I thought your name and Ubin pictures look familiar. After I have spent some times in your gallery and seen your wild boar & few other pics, I confirm and remember seeing your lovely photos pasted all over in one of the chinese restaurants in Ubin when I was there a month or so ago.

I was drawn to your Ubin pictures then and now. I can see that you know that place very well:

you practically know all the names of the places and people in the photos.

you have access as well as the time to visit the less unknown places in Ubin, including taking sunset/sunrise, the owl and bat etc.

I guess you must have lived in Ubin for quite some time or know someone there relatively well to allow you to bunk in as and when your photography bug bugs you. Or, could you be the official photographer for Ubin?

Nonetheless, you have some lovely shots in your gallery, keep it up and keep them coming.... :thumbsup:

oh my apology to Tweek for wasting your thread space here. Yeah, your pics are pretty good but could be better. The one not shot by you was blurred!

Of all the pics, I like the mailbox pic better!

Originally posted by jasphotography
Hi Andy,

I thought your name and Ubin pictures look familiar. After I have spent some times in your gallery and seen your wild boar & few other pics, I confirm and remember seeing your lovely photos pasted all over in one of the chinese restaurants in Ubin when I was there a month or so ago.

I was drawn to your Ubin pictures then and now. I can see that you know that place very well:

you practically know all the names of the places and people in the photos.

you have access as well as the time to visit the less unknown places in Ubin, including taking sunset/sunrise, the owl and bat etc.

I guess you must have lived in Ubin for quite some time or know someone there relatively well to allow you to bunk in as and when your photography bug bugs you. Or, could you be the official photographer for Ubin?

Nonetheless, you have some lovely shots in your gallery, keep it up and keep them coming.... :thumbsup:

oh my apology to Tweek for wasting your thread space here. Yeah, your pics are pretty good but could be better. The one not shot by you was blurred!

Of all the pics, I like the mailbox pic better!

Hi Jas,

I am not a native of Pulau Ubin. I am purely a mainland Singaporean. I started documenting Pulau Ubin seriously about 5 years ago for a book titled "Pulau Ubin, ours to preserve" and the biggest hurdle I faced was the reluctance of the villagers there. Many times I ended up getting scolding and even once end up almost being beaten up. I knew that the only way for me to do what I want to do is to befriend the people there. This is exactly what I did, also with guidance from some friends. I make it a point to visit them everytime I am there to stay in touch so that they may call me as and when they spot something extraordinary.

What you see in this site was only a very tiny fraction of the 1800 ++ photos that was selectively edited out from the almost 2000 rolls of slides I put thru to document that place.

One piece of advice though, be sincere and people will be open to you.

Regards,

Andy Ho

http://andyho.clubsnap.org/gallery/

Not sure if i should post as i m expressing the same sentiments.

Hi Tweek, i also like the mailbox pic best.

Hi Andy, I also looked through your ubin series after u commented on my pics in another thread and can really feel that you know the place inside out. I've gained many new perspectives just looking at your pictures.

Hi Jas, something unrelated...u leaving singapore soon?

Originally posted by Andy Ho
Hi Jas,

I am not a native of Pulau Ubin. I am purely a mainland Singaporean. I started documenting Pulau Ubin seriously about 5 years ago for a book titled "Pulau Ubin, ours to preserve" and the biggest hurdle I faced was the reluctance of the villagers there. Many times I ended up getting scolding and even once end up almost being beaten up. I knew that the only way for me to do what I want to do is to befriend the people there. This is exactly what I did, also with guidance from some friends. I make it a point to visit them everytime I am there to stay in touch so that they may call me as and when they spot something extraordinary.

What you see in this site was only a very tiny fraction of the 1800 ++ photos that was selectively edited out from the almost 2000 rolls of slides I put thru to document that place.

One piece of advice though, be sincere and people will be open to you.

Regards,

Andy Ho

I should be visiting Ubin soon, hope to see you there! Any tips where and when to go and what to do in Ubin for one full day? ... but not at the expense of missing my last bumboat back! :cry:

I should be visiting Ubin soon, hope to see you there! Any tips where and when to go and what to do in Ubin for one full day? ... but not at the expense of missing my last bumboat back! :cry:

stay overnite on the beach or at the jetty to catch the sun rise lor... :D

(not sure if the jetty can see sun rise, but sunset surly can)

Originally posted by berryhappy

Hi Jas, something unrelated...u leaving singapore soon?

no, not now.... what prompted you to ask by the way?

what prompted you to ask by the way?

your location..."Now Singapore but hopefully not for long ...". think previously was something like "UK for a long time but now Singapore"

is it?

Also something unrelated. always wanted to go Ubin to take photos...but from my memory...never notice so many details as Andy. Maybe I did not look hard enough. hmm.

Tweek: I like the first shot a lot, got a mood very eye catching.

Andy: nice gallery of ubin, impressed!

Hi Jas,

Hope to see you too. If you see a young chap of mid twenties, wears a t-shirt and beige bermudas, with a backpack and camera around his neck, and most importantly....with a bicycle fitted with 2 halogen lamps on the steering, that is most probably me.

Don't worry about time when you are there. Don't even think about getting good shots there. Just relax and absorb the serenity of that place and inspiration will flow.

Cheers.

Andy Ho

Status
Not open for further replies.